Useful guitar tips you wish you knew when you started playing

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by jguitarnash, Jul 23, 2009.

1. jguitarnash

jguitarnash Senior Member

Lets share some tips that you find extremely useful. Mine is Use your volume and tone controls. I know some guys who "set it and forget it" and I think you really miss out on a variety of sounds if You do that.

fjabjr, JMAnz, Thumpalumpacus and 6 others like this.
  2. JohnQ

JohnQ Senior Member

I'm a newb when it comes to playing guitar but here's my recommendation-

When you go pick out an amp skip the effects. When I first got started I bought a Vox DA5, nice little amp but for the same price I could have bought a small tube amp. I don't have a tube amp yet but will as soon as I get rid of this Vox.

So skip the SS amps with effects and get a tube amp. As a beginner you shouldn't be worried too much about effects anyway.

3. jguitarnash

jguitarnash Senior Member

So you think effects should be brought in sparingly as a beginner progresses?

4. JohnQ

JohnQ Senior Member

Well, drawing from my limited experience only, I would say yes. I really think the $100 I spent on the Vox DA5 would have been much better spent on a tube amp. At times I found myself going back and forth with the settings on the DA5 trying to get a certain tone instead of just playing my guitar and using my guitar to shape the tone.

What I have done is to set the DA5 on a "no effects" setting and leave it there. For the "extras" I recently bought an inexpensive RP90 effects pedal that will allow me to experiment with different pedal sounds every now and then instead of buying more expensive pedals I might not like. It is much more versatile than the DA5.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to experiment with different pedals, a modeling amp isn't (in my opinion) the best way to pursue that.

5. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars Senior Member

Tube amp,old boss chorus ,old delay,and a sustain pedal,get ya just about everything tonally useful you could ever need.

6. Vaedur

Vaedur Member

As a noober.. i wanna dry hump my 70 dollar micro crate.. i feel the direct oposite..

For about 300 bucks i got a sweet guitar and a nice amp, and it has alot of pre-set different amp setting, and i can get some different sounds i like out of it..

Crap, my 6 month old likes me playing cords so much she jumps like a fool in her boucer,dancing to my horrible playing.. lol

7. Sirzach

Sirzach Senior Member

That a full bend doesnt mean bending the string up teh entire width of the neck :rolleyes:

Thats it really.

EasyAce and ll IrOn CiTy ll like this.
  8. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Thoroughly strech out new strings.

JMAnz likes this.
  9. Vaedur

Vaedur Member

It doesn't? that explains alot

10. River

River Senior Member

Don't let anyone tell you what kind of pick you should use. Try as many as possible and choose the size and thickness that works for you.

Damian, ll IrOn CiTy ll and JMAnz like this.
  11. Luke122

Luke122 Senior Member

Precision is more important than speed. Speed will come with practice... work on playing clean first.

Distortion is best used sparingly. You dont need full blown fuzz all the time.

+1 on stretching new strings.

Get your guitar setup by a professional when you buy it.

Invest in a good tuner. Metronomes are good to have also, but less important than a tuner.

Play as often as possible.

Learn some theory.

Learn some scales.

Emulating someone elses tone is a good starting point for finding your own tone.

fastdave and Damian like this.
  12. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Practice...practice...practice.

fastdave and ll IrOn CiTy ll like this.
  13. Real_Hip_Hop

Real_Hip_Hop Senior Member

Is there a good way of doing this? Other than just playing and tuning them constantly for a couple weeks.

14. porkchop87

porkchop87 Senior Member

I heard pushing the strings down towards the guitar, all the way down the fretboard, with your palm works well.

15. Dave1968

Dave1968 Senior Member

I totally agree with Luke122 and the rest. I'd just add to that:

Learn and practise techniques convincingly (bends, trills, pull offs etc..)

Practise rhythm playing, not many are that tight and dynamic asthey think!

And theres nothing worse for others to hear you say, "Hey I know that!" when really you're in the process of learning the piece and it sounds a little like its supposed to!! Wait until you know it rather than blow it! :)

Most girls prefer to hear funky, groovy stuff than metal and scale runs I've found!!

I wish Youtube was around 30 years ago!!!

fastdave likes this.
  16. Sirzach

Sirzach Senior Member

Oh, and i forgot one- haha, dont try to be tom morello with a used LP toggle switch XD

The first guitar I had stunk, And one day i was doing a tom morello solo, (beginner times..) and I Broke off the switch top x.x

ll IrOn CiTy ll likes this.
  17. Luke122

Luke122 Senior Member

Learn songs that GIRLS WILL LIKE!!!

18. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Pull on them, up and down the length of the neck, and retune. Keep doing it until they hold their tuning.

19. River

River Senior Member

That, or maxing my Bigsby, works fine for me. With good strings they settle in within an hour at most.

20. WhippingPost

WhippingPost Senior Member

You don't have to pull very hard, either. Just a couple gentle tugs, and re-tune. Repeat as necessary.

I wish someone had told me that you should never compare yourself to other guitarists. Instead, compare yourself to your goals - both long and short term - and focus on your progress, not what you can't do.

Also, find one song that you enjoy playing, and play that anytime you get frustrated with something you're practicing.