Used Epis just dont hold their value

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by J-Dizzle, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Scubaman

Scubaman Senior Member

Now factor price and wage inflation over that period and, in terms of relative purchasing power, you still took a 50% hit against purchase price.

It's exactly the same thing you hear on those popular antique valuation television programs. An item is valued at say £500 and the punter states that their grandparent paid £30 for it in 1935. The expert says didn't they do well as its value has increased by £470. Ignores the fact that the purchasing power of £30 in 1935 was greater than £500 in 2014.

1 person likes this.
  2. rem22

rem22 Senior Member

Absolutely...it is just 101 economy.

Only very rare models have truly their value raised...like ´59 LPs for example.

Slash epiphone guitars hold also quite well their value....it is not specific on one brand.

3. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

don't buy stuff if you're not going to keep it.

2 people like this.
  4. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

I didn't buy my Epiphone for resale value...Come to think of it.. I didn't buy any of my guitars for resale possibilities.

1 person likes this.
  5. impregnablecrunch

impregnablecrunch Member

Yeah, this is the reality that a lot of people do not consider. There was a good follow up on Antique Roadshow where they showed re-evaluated prices with inflation for the current year in mind. It is interesting to see which objects continue to increase in value and some that were fads or simply cannot keep up with inflation.

As applied to guitars, I think in some cases you can do well, but a lot of people do tend to overstate values. That and I am kind of skeptical on the long term value of a lot of pieces. I think stuff like rare and iconic Fender/Gibsons will always hold some degree of value, but the market otherwise is simply flooded with guitars and it continues as the guitar is slowly becoming less relevant in popular music.

My philosophy is to buy what I can afford, and I play the handful of guitars I have. I am not looking at any of them as investments and if I ever make money off them or if I just break even, it would be a nice bonus.

6. BlankinLoud

BlankinLoud Senior Member

The more I play my Epi's, the more I value them. :D

1 person likes this.
  7. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Banned

If you really wanna see bad resale, compare the price of a new USA Dean to the price of a used one... 25% on a good day.

8. eyeface

eyeface Senior Member

I would say that, in this price range, Epiphones actually hold their value better than a lot of other guitars. Look at 'Vintage' (I mean the brand) guitars as an example- now they really DO lose value when sold used! But epiphone, like squier, have a bit of brand pedigree, and I think that helps. I once bought a Fret King country Squire (telecaster type) for £550 new. I sold it 4 months later for £200- didn't have a mark on it. Why? Because it isn't a well known brand, and so people aren't always looking for them!

2 people like this.
  9. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

[​IMG]

10. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

I buy them to play, not to sell.

3 people like this.
  11. hogdaddy

hogdaddy Senior Member

I believe the Epiphone Budokan's are holding their value more or less depending on condition and they don't pop up on Ebay hardly anymore.

Of course I bought mine using a $100 off sale IIRC.

12. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

That is very odd and you know that. People lose their ass on guitars they are not an investment. Working guitars and play guitars. Some nuidnicks save these turds and lose later on. Hard to believe you made a buck on that turd.

1 person likes this.
  13. stratguy949

stratguy949 Member

I agree if you buy an Epi play it (and keep in good shape) then sell it or even trade it in for 50% you did good. I know at GC and Sam Ash you will get 60% if you are trading in on something else.

14. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Senior Member

That's mainly the difference between wholesale and retail, and is typical of all business that buy and sell used gear of any kind. The retail value of a used epi is often quite good. Right now the used SG Specials are selling used for about $250 to $300 which ain't bad considering they sold for $300 to $400 new.

GC gotta make its cut man. That's not unique to epiphone. Try selling a used Gibson SG yuo paid $1700 for to GC and see what they offer you.

15. TP6

TP6 Senior Member

Yeah but why would you buy a new USA Dean when you can just get a real one for cheaper than a Time Capsule? :laugh2:

16. BigMike55

BigMike55 Senior Member

Buy what you like and use it, whether that be guitars or corkscrews. You can't predict what will raise in value any more than you can predict the stock market. You can make an educated guess, at best. This way, if you make money on an item... hooray! If you don't make money then at least you got to enjoy what you bought! No dissappointment either way.

1 person likes this.
  17. Scotty67

Scotty67 Senior Member

That depends on what you buy and how long you keep it. (Obviously referring to buying high quality and keeping for decades)

18. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Disagree.

High quality is no guarantee. Not if there were a LOT of them made.

Decades old, aka 50s and 60s Gibsons are worth some money (though some if adjusted for inflation, really aren't worth more than they were new) have appreciated because there just aren't that many, weren't that many.

Mass produced modern guitars, even of the highest quality are very unlikely to appreciate over time. Not in real, adjusted dollars.