Used Epis just dont hold their value

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by J-Dizzle, Sep 12, 2014.

1. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Senior Member

Bought a 1961 SG Special with P-90s for $399. They were selling for $299 at the end.

They're selling for $399 on fleabay right now. At GC they're going for $299 used.

2. Fuelish

Fuelish Senior Member

Which means, they're worth less than $299 ...GC overprices used stuff hoping a sucker will bite...

3. ScottMarlowe

You obviously don't do a lot of comparison shopping between ebay (what actually sells not the buy it now prices) and GC. I consistently find things at GC for less than they're selling on ebay. Classic 50 4x10 $250. In GREAT shape. On ebay I've never seen one sell for much less than $300.

4. RTH

RTH €piphoneWiki Team V.I.P. Member

With or without the anniversary gigbag? And which colors? I have a feeling that the TV Yellow is going to be slightly more because it was sold out/discontinued first and that color has always been in high demand.

5. jtees4

jtees4 Senior Member

I have bought and sold around 200 guitars over the last 5 or so years. The only brand that seems to hold it's value (of the mass produced brands) seems to be Gibson. Fender used to do OK, but I have noticed over the last year or so the Fender prices have taken a nosedive too.

6. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Really like to see some examples of used GIbsons you sold that fetched new prices. That is what 'holding their value means'. And frankly Gretsch guitars, tend to depreciate less than most, and usually a bit less than Gibsons.

2 people like this.
  7. ScottMarlowe

With the Gig bag. Mine is in a closet because I got it a real hardshell case. Seems the yellow and red ones sold out a lot quicker than the white and black.

1 person likes this.
  8. rem22

rem22 Senior Member

I´d Like to read about those examples too ! Because in France even R8 don't hold their value. Where as like stated before some Epiphones can, like the AFD, the Tribute plus before the price increase...

1 person likes this.
  9. joy-z

joy-z Member

I disagree. I think their prices are fair in most cases from what I have seen.

10. paco1976

paco1976 Senior Member

What they do in GC and anywhere else they buy your guitar at the moment is offer you really low money for it, but they pay at the moment. But they sell at used market prices, more or less on the average. IMO.

11. RTH

RTH €piphoneWiki Team V.I.P. Member

I got the TV Yellow as well. I also got a TV Yellow SG Junior when they came out. Stores were getting one TV Yellow to every 4 or 5 Cherry and Ebony Juniors. Mine also was made with heavy "mystery mahogany" rather than the spec'd basswood. I'm pretty confident that if I ever sell it, I can get more out of it that the other two colors. Win win!

1 person likes this.
  12. Rango

Rango Senior Member

From reading this thread it sounds like I need to goto Ebay to move my Epi. I've never had this much trouble selling a guitar.... I get that I'm not going to move it for close to what I paid... but .50 cents on the dollar. F-me :(
    That guitar is my first and last Epi. ;)

Shame is, it's a good guitar! But I've got FOUR LP's and one's gotta go!

13. rlh5599

rlh5599 Senior Member

What's on the headstock has nothing to do with it. There is such a glut of new guitars of all brands in the 300-600 dollar price range right now, that it makes it hard to sell a used one, unless it's really special, or a great deal. That, coupled with the fact that it's just flat the wrong time of year to sell. College students need books, high school students need cars. and parents are getting rid of Junior's latest "Gotta have it"

At one time or another we will all suffer from "GAS regret"
    I know I have, I know I will again. But that's why I buy used.

I also, after 40+ years playing guitar finally realized that no amount of gear will make you play better. Practice and playing with other people make you play better...

Another thing I've learned is; Don't put "I have too many guitars, this one has to go" in your ad.
    If it doesn't make the cut for you, what makes me think it will make the cut for me

1 person likes this.
  14. jtees4

jtees4 Senior Member

I sold a 2007 Les Paul Standard for $1700 yesterday (see my avatar). I bought it used, but I'm guessing I got close to the 2007 original street price. I could be wrong, but I made money based on what I purchased it for.

15. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clp9W1itut8]Boxing Fight Bell Ding - Sound Effect - YouTube[/ame]

We have a winner

1 person likes this.
  16. rlh5599

rlh5599 Senior Member

ALL business's work on a profit "margin", usually 30-60%.
    Therefore the prices they pay for used merchandise must be between 40-70% of what they will sell it for, or have sold similar items for in the past.
    It's not personal, nobody's trying to screw anyone, it's just business.
    No successful business will pay more for a used item than they will for the same new item.
    They are in the business to make money, to sell stuff, not to break even. Generally you would get more on a trade-in, than to sell something outright to a store.

Otherwise they're just trading money. Can't pay the bills if you're just trading money....

1 person likes this.
  17. paco1976

paco1976 Senior Member

If you buy used Epis they hold value, otherwise of course they don't. Not even Gibsons hold value, only true vintage and after 40 years.

18. Rango

Rango Senior Member

Interesting...
    So what would make you take a second look? :hmm:

Besides "FREE BEER!" :D

IF your have more than one guitar...
    "It didn't make the cut" is the truth of it. In my case, I'm just NOT a gold top guy and I've got 3 other LPs. I guess I'd rather give the truthful reason and let the chips fall where they may. Lot's of folks LIKE gold tops - I guess - They still make them...

19. rlh5599

rlh5599 Senior Member

Free beer might get me to come over. or a REALLY good price, but that still don't mean I'm buying your guitar. :D
    My point was, you don't want to say anything negative if you're trying to sell your guitar. Saying "I'm not a Gold Top Guy" or "I'm not a Tele guy" is fine. Saying it's not as good as my other guitars should be avoided....:cool:

Also saying you HAVE to thin the heard sounds a little desperate, gonna make folks think you have to sell no matter what. Even if it's true, don't let the buyer know that. Gives 'em a bit of an upper hand in the negotiations.

20. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member