Used Epis just dont hold their value

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by J-Dizzle, Sep 12, 2014.

1. rem22

rem22 Senior Member

No, even those don't. They hold their value when bought used....like any guitar. They were sold 1500€ and now they go for 1000€ top.

I've bought my Tribute Plus 430€ brand new, they go for 400/450€ on the used market (because of the increased price). It is kinda good, don't you think ?

As for Gibson, they also lose their value, there are a ton of studios on the used market here for 700€ when they are sold 1000€ brand new. That's also a money drop. Used american strats go for 600€ to 1000€, when they are sold 1300€ new. MiM are sold 500€ brand new, they go for 350€ used.

Unless you buy a top on the line and rare edition guitar, especially used, you will lose money, and you might lose more from more expensive guitars !

2 people like this.
  2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

You do realize that, that same 1200 would have to be $2600 today, just due to inflation.

Going by Ebay SOLD, USED listings, they are selling used for $2170 or less, say $2100 to be charitable,

So, no, you would actually, just like anyone else get only 80%, or less, of the amount you paid adjusted for inflation.

5 people like this.
  3. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

4. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

True that nearly no guitars made in the last 25 years are holding value. I have an 2006 SG Standard Naturalburst for sale for over three months. I can't find a buyer to give me $1000 for it.

5. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Senior Member

The only guitar I've owned in my 50 years of playing that would be an exception to what you say is the '63 Strat I bought as NOS in '66. I paid $235 for it. Like the stupid 17 year old kid that I was, I traded it in 2 years later on a Gretsch Chet Atkins Tennessean. :slap:

6. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

One of the things that sellers often fail to consider is that (in most cases) the manufacturer's warranty is void upon resale. For instance Martin has a lifetime warranty on their products. If you're the original purchaser (and have your proof-of-purchase) you can take it to the factory in Nazareth, PA and they will work on it free of charge usually while you wait. (While there you can tour the factory, museum, player's room and store.)

So even if the item is in pristine condition, with all accessories and papers, it loses significant value on the open market because the second and subsequent owners have no such privileges.

Nonetheless, I see late model used Martins advertised for a few hundred under retail with words like "save hundreds" or "immaculate, new condition".

Buddy, new is new, used is used. Great that you've kept it in pristine condition and have the OHSC and swag, but if you're not a dealer selling it with warranty it's worth 1/3 to 1/2 less on warranty loss alone.

That's one of the few good reasons that it pays to buy new. The other is that you can return it, a significant privilege not typically offered on most used items.

7 people like this.
  7. Malikon

Malikon Skreeeeee-ONK! V.I.P. Member

a new $500. Epiphone will sell used for about $350.

a used Epiphone is worth about $350. ...if you bought used you'll break about even if you sell it,...if you bought new you'll lose $150.

a new Gibson will cost close to $4,000. (now)

a used Gibson can be had for under $2,000. ...if you bought used you'll break about even if you sell it,...if you bought new you'll lose thousands.

Used guitars (for the most part) hold their value,..is the moral of the story. Buy Used (unless you absolutely cannot live without that brand new guitar you're in love with. Just understand you will most likely never recoup what you paid for it. Whether it's a Gibson OR an Epi)

guitars are not good investments,.they're tools.

11 people like this.
  8. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Senior Member

If you bought an Epi for $500 and sold it a few years later for $250, don't you feel that you got $250 worth of use from it? Seems like you recovered your loss in fun. Move on.

4 people like this.
  9. Breezin

Breezin Senior Member

Well that's good enough for me. Not many things hold 80% of there value after nearly 30 years.

It really doesn't matter cause Ill have it till I die, I bought it for enjoyment
    and if you value it that way its worth every penny I paid and then some.

10. rem22

rem22 Senior Member

Like Malikon said, guitars are not good invesments, they are tool or toys, depends if your are pro or not ;) I play guitar for fun and I don't want to let the money ruin the pleasure.

And like I said before, unless it is a very old Fender Gibson, you will lose money over it. But hey, think about how much money is burnt every year in cars...a nice car is very expensive and it lost more value than a brand new Gibson every year !

I live to enjoy life, and have pleasure with hobbies. Hobbies need money, plain and simple.

1 person likes this.
  11. Malikon

..also, the old ones are worth so much because they're very limited in production number at the time, and limited today because there's even less of them around.

But guitars built today are mass produced in a way and in such numbers that the odds of any of them becoming very expensive "vintage" guitars are very low.

Purely because they wont be rare in the way old guitars today are.

old '59 Bursts go for so much because there was (I believe) less then 2000 made that year.

Today Gibson/Epiphone/Fender crank them out by the millions. <---example number but you get the point. They're not rare. They're mass produced items.

edit: thinking about it more, considering everything you buy today (phone, tv, computer, car, books, video games, etc.) is pretty much worthless a few years later, ... that you can get $350. for you "old used" Epi is actually pretty cool.

They actually maintain a value that most things today just do not.

..another point for Epiphone. :dude:

6 people like this.
  12. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Ah, if they become collectible, then its a different ball game.

13. 56GT

56GT Senior Member

And if you burn 'em, they're worth even less... :laugh2:

2 people like this.
  14. old mark

old mark Senior Member

Before, say, 1969-70, the idea of "collectable guitars" did not exist. The guitarist in my blues band in '65 and '66 bought a '50's Les Paul Goldtop for $250...I turned down a '54 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty because I thought $450 was too much money for it. In '66, Eric Clapton's pic appeared on a Blues Breakers' LP cover - he was playing a Les Paul. THAT started their popularity, and within 2 years Gibson, which had ENDED production of the "Les Paul shaped" Les Paul and replaced it in '61 with the SG/Les Paul, started making them again - because people wanted to buy them. OLD Les Pauls were in demand because there were not many made compared to the tons cranked out these days...before that, they were just "old guitars" and could be had really cheap...because there was no demand for them.

In '75, I bought a Telecaster in Oakland, CA, for about $275...It was about a 1970, and had a factory Bigsby on it. I sold it, foolishly...Today they are selling for around $3000 or more.

What things are "worth" depends on what someone is willing to pay for it. Personally, I think we are at or near the saturation point for guitar prices especially for "collectables". There are HUGE numbers of guitars and a flat and maybe even shrinking number of new players coming up and people have less money to spend these days...

I think Gibson's big price hikes for 2015 are a bad mistake, too, but time will tell.

1 person likes this.
  15. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Senior Member

There was an old country picker in my home town back in the '60s. He had one of the first '52 LP's produced--no serial #, trapeze tailpiece, etc.--and people made fun of him for playing "that old piece of sh@t." Then suddenly everyone was making all kinds of offers for it. He refused to sell, because he loved it,

I think Gibson's price increase will make Epi's more attractive to players without big bucks, especially since they're discontinuing a lot of their lower-priced models.

1 person likes this.
  16. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

That is why I like to buy second hand.

Sometime you can even sell them for more than you bought them for...but don't count on that to become a millionaire.

1 person likes this.
  17. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

ok.. so what..? you didn't know that when you purchased it?
    additionally, you don't buy stuff to sell it.. you buy it with informed
    information and keep it. That's why you bought it in the first place.. right?

18. Bristol Posse

Bristol Posse Senior Member

Wait, used things aren't worth as much as or more than new things?

so if I sell my guitar, TV, Car, computer, smartphone, video games, lawnmower etc it will lose value and I won't get the same or more than a new one?

in what world is th OP living and how do I get there?

3 people like this.
  19. tragewombat

tragewombat Senior Member

Not always. I've seen bottom feeder TV Yellow Epi Special I P90s sell on ebay for 200$, while the stores sold the run for little more than 80$ at one point. In terms of absolute value not any big gain but percentage wise that's a huge return, especially as it sold only a few months after they were no longer available in store.

I guess you just have to luck out on having a guitar for which the supply side has failed to produce enough guitars to meet the demand. Normally this never occurs (just look at the Epiphone Bonamassa run, which was initially projected to be a limited 1000 guitars only run, but production now (including the blue) is probably around 5000+)

1 person likes this.
  20. Malikon

:laugh2:

Yeah,..Epi has a weird definition of "Limited." :applause:

2 people like this.