Used Epis just dont hold their value

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by J-Dizzle, Sep 12, 2014.

1. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

Just sold my Epi Firebird and geez I lost some dosh on it. I'm probably only getting about 50% of what I paid for it.

I was a sucker and bought it new. I never buy new guitars but this one was calling to me.

Only a few years old and in really great condition.

I dont regret it as I upgraded and moved on. It just is what it is.

Is this common with Epis?

3 people like this.
  2. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

there was an epi firebird on gumtree I asked about was that yours?

3. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Which other brand (in this price-range) can be sold after a few years without a loss ?

9 people like this.
  4. old mark

old mark Senior Member

This is common to all guitars, even Gibsons and Fenders...as soon as that sales slip is written up a NEW guitar becomes a USED guitar.

Don't forget, selling it to a shop will get you maybe 40% - 50% of what they will sell it for. My first Gibson was a 1968 Les Paul Custom, black beauty. Came with a nice Gibson case, and I paid all of $400 for it.

4 people like this.
  5. CHUNKYNECK

CHUNKYNECK Senior Member

Yeah, bought a new epi lp standard in 08. Would be lucky to get half what I paid for it now.
    Same deal with a roadworn strat. I bought for the cheapest AU price I could find but will still loose near half what I paid.

My used epi 56 goldtop I scored for $220 is a different story.

It pays to buy used and wait for a bargain or be prepared to wait 30+years before selling.

4 people like this.
  6. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Largely depends on what you buy... I try to aim more for Special Runs and Limited Editions as they seem to hold their value more than standard runs. In my experience Gibson hold their value much more than Epis, but again... you have to choose wisely. Naturally, a killer top is just gonna fetch more than one that looks just like all the others.

7. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

Very few guitars hold their value from new. None really, that's why I buy almost always used. At least I'll get close to what I paid for it when I go to sell.

In a few instances I've made money, but it's the exception, and I'll I'll never get rich that way. And right now the used market is glutted. Set-neck Epi LPs everywhere for $300 or less.

And frankly, it's hard to imagine how Asian-made Epis will ever be worth anything. Buy cheap to play and enjoy, then when you're ready, pass it along.

5 people like this.
  8. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

This. TO OP, if that was a provate sale, that was a tad low. 60% is a goof ball park for mass-produced guitars. But even Gibson lose value.

Look at these Les Paul Standards, sold used for $1600-1700
    gibson standard les paul | eBay

New. from the big box onlines , $2400-2700/ That's a 32% to 39% drop.

5 people like this.
  9. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

I've had guys tell me they paid $300 for a guitar and put another $300 in mods and upgrades and then tell me it's a $600 guitar.

Sorry, don't work that way.

For used stuff, you're usually lucky to get about 60% of the new price.
    Mods and upgrades don't count; that's why I pull the upgrades and return it to stock before selling.

3 people like this.
  10. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

As already said, it's very common for all guitars on that price range.
    You may have lost less measured in percentage if it was a Gibson, but most likely lost more money.
    Just my 2 cents - and humble considering it's friday ;)
    Have a nice weekend :)

1 person likes this.
  11. GERRYGTR62

GERRYGTR62 Senior Member

The only Epis that hold their value are the MIJ Elites/Elitists.....other ones, not so good, unfortunately

1 person likes this.
  12. Alty

Alty Senior Member

It could be said that 1 sale doesn't set the Standards but as has been mentioned can't expect to get massive return on SH (and not Sig/Special/Limited etc....) when there are thousands of them to choose from and location may have an influence, we were offered close to what we paid for our daughters 339, in fact for a few months they went up in price so could have got all the money back if she was to sell it at the time, so it depends....

13. Ryan Givhan

Ryan Givhan Senior Member

why would you expect to get anywhere near the price you paid new, when there are infinite new and used epi's all over the place?

14. TheNoodler

TheNoodler Senior Member

So you lost 50% of $600? Just be glad you didn't buy a gibson, because you would have lost 50% of $3000.

9 people like this.
  15. Breezin

Breezin Senior Member

Why do you say that? I bought my Gibson 335 dot (Natural) in 1987 for $1200.00

I just looked it up on GC it retails for $3600.00
    I think I could get a lot more than what I paid for it, its still in mint cond.

2 people like this.
  16. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

Very few guitars go up in price. Their highest price is what you paid for it. Very few of us are in the guitar business. Buy a guitar to keep. Trade or sell you are going to lose, nothing you can do about it.

2 people like this.
  17. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

What are they going to do? Buy your used guitar or buy a new one?

18. Breezin

Breezin Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  19. old mark

old mark Senior Member

If you "mod" a GOOD guitar, you WILL cut any resale value by a large percentage, depending on how much it differs from factory stock. If it is a collectable guitar, many buyers will even check the wiring to make sure it's all from the factory. I have bought a lot of used guitars, some of them that I think are very desirable, and if I see in the ad that it has been modded, I won't even bother to read any further at least 90% of the time...When you "mod" a guitar, you are making it the way you want it...you are NOT "improving" it for anyone else, and the sale price will certainly reflect this.

Think twice about "improving" a really good guitar - unless you are Neil Young or someone like him, you just ruined the collector value.

"Relicing" - just throw it the **** out when you are finished with it.

4 people like this.
  20. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Not necessarily... there is a difference between irreparably modding a guitar and making it so that it can be restored to factory. Changing pickups is a mod and if you keep the originals you can pop them back in if you want to sell it as stock. Vibramating a Bigsby will also allow you to "restock". I've made hundreds of mods, most of which can be restored...

If someone stops reading because I pulled out the stock Epi wiring and replaced it with real wiring then they don't deserve to own it in the first place... :cool:

2 people like this.