Use any overdrive/distortion pedals?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by 58VOSLESPAUL, Jun 8, 2010.

1. DanD

DanD Senior Member

TS 9 and a Hoochee Mama.

The Hoochee Mama gets the nod for OD. I mainly use the TS 9 as a cleanish boost to push the Hoochee a bit.

2. Farquad

Farquad Senior Member

I primarily use a Strymon Deco for the overdrive. Otherwise its just the Swart SST30.
    If I need to gain it up I can add a Fulltone Secret Freq, but that's pretty rare.

3. mudface

mudface Senior Member

MXR EVH 5150 overdrive, smooth magic, built in adjustable noise gate that's to die for. Paired up with my JTM-45

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  4. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Mesa Bottle Rocket turns my 5E7 Tweed Bandmaster into a Boogie and then back to a tweed. :applause:

5. jwehrman

jwehrman Senior Member

I use a BB Pre-Amp pedal with my '59 Bassman reissue. It gives me everything I need. I like just enough crunch/break to create a whip and a snap that carries some resonance. To my ears, it gives me the "Exile" sound/vibe from '72. Sometimes I like to play it completely clean. I feel closer to the overall nuance of tone and sparkle from the guitar and amp. I'm not particularly a fan of excess/heavy distortion. For me it completely drowns out the natural beauty of the guitar. I've never understood why some players will spend top dollar on a reissue and drown it out with an overly distorted Marshall. At that point it doesn't sound any different from a cookie cutter Squire. It's a very processed/trite sound that tramples all the natural tone. It's like slathering ketchup all over an aged filet mignon. But I will admit I do enjoy turning up the gas a bit once in awhile just for the hell of it.

HendrixJr and lakeburst like this.
  6. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Senior Member

An OCD on 18v with the volume all the way up, drive at zero and tone at noon. Pushes the Plexi clone into a gorgeous saturated bliss.

7. rich85

rich85 Senior Member

I always keep returning to the bad monkey.

8. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

No, just the amp! Ido own a Tube Screamer, but practically never use it!

9. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

Yes...

It really depends on what mood I am in, and what I am playing. If I want that cranked Zeppelin tone I use an OCD with the drive at 9 o'clock into the low input of my JCM 800/Fender DRRI. If I want that Clapton-esque bluesbreaker tone I go straight into the low input of my JCM 800/Fender DRRI. If I want glassy clean tones I go direct into my DRRI, If I want a fat lead tone I go direct into my 2555X.

Pedals aren't a good or a bad thing, they are a tool to shape your tone, sometimes you need it; sometimes you don't. With the amps I have I could get pretty much every tone without a pedal, but I like to get there without breaking windows or killing women and children.

RayTorvalds and DrSte31n like this.
  10. DrSte31n

DrSte31n Member

+1

11. Xrun Morzov

Xrun Morzov Senior Member

I noticed Bad Cat attenuator in your gear list. I also picked one recently in a trade (first version). Spent an hour messing with controls, but now I can run my Matchless Independence loud and still not have my neighbours with chainsaws at my door LOL
    Do the guys that get all overdrive/distortion from their amps play in separate studios or garages without attenuation?

As for the dirt pedals, I own many (and owned more), but lately just decided to keep what I'm using besides those that have sentimental value)) So here's the list of what I have currently:
    Himmelstrutz Fetto 70+ (Marshally-sounding astonishing quality overdrive!)
    Frantone Peach Fuzz (always on my pedalboard)
    Frantone Cream Puff (ordered while writing this post)
    Wren and Cuff Box of War (russian muff clone, very cool and cuts through the mix)
    Wren and Cuff Violet World (also muff variation with song bass response)
    Wren and Cuff Caprid (one of the best muff clones, but due to large size usually skips pedalboard)
    DBA Fuzz War (better suits bass IMO, played by my wife on some occasions)
    Bad Cat Xtreme tone (cool tube-preamp actually, the only drawback is its size and weight)
    MG Music Drive (these BRAZILIAN pedals are surprisingly good!)
    Wampler Plexi (good, but have better options, so considering to sell)
    Noname boutique overdrive (told that it's UK made, got this dirt-cheap))

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  12. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

I finally got the KoT last month, so that's what I'm using now, but I used a Keeley-modded BD-2 for about a decade prior to that and am definitely hanging onto it in case the KoT doesn't "take."

lakeburst likes this.
  13. HendrixJr

HendrixJr Junior Member

I use a BB Pre amp for my deville (not a huge fan of the built in distortion channel) and sometimes with the bluesbreaker when I need to be louder than what my attenuator allows.

jwehrman likes this.
  14. framos

framos Senior Member

SD-1w for boosting my 2204.
    Once a while I plug my strat into a DeepTrip Kryptone Fuzz into the 2204 low input for some extra goodness... oh my

15. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Friedman BE-OD, into Fender Blues Junior or Supersonic or clean channel of any amp, I have plenty of pedals that are collecting dust now.:)

RayTorvalds likes this.
  16. Travis19

Travis19 Senior Member

I've been using a Buffalo FX Power Booster with the gain at about 2 o'clock (Les paul > Carr Rambler). I get glassy cleans and crunchy dirt just from the use of my guitars volume knob.

For a little extra drive I either have an Analogman Astrotone fuzz or a Jetter Traindrive on my board as well, but they don't get too much use.

17. blackie2

blackie2 Senior Member

I only use a Barber Compact Direct Drive as a boost pedal when I play my Strat. With my Les Paul I just use the amp and I'm good. It's a Mesa TC50 and with three channels it's great!!!

18. egrassel

egrassel Premium Member

When I play through my toneking falcon, i use friedman be-od . thing is KILLER

when playing through my orange, i use just the amp

RayTorvalds likes this.
  19. Guitarhack

Guitarhack Senior Member

Analogman King of Tone - great sounding boost/over drive pedal.

[​IMG]

lakeburst likes this.
  20. meatball

meatball Senior Member

I just use the overdrive of my Pickups on my Les Paul and my Blackstar HT40 ,, all I need