Use any overdrive/distortion pedals?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by 58VOSLESPAUL, Jun 8, 2010.

1. ES350

ES350 Senior Member

I play pretty clean (at least compared to what I'm reading above) and a tweed Pro, a tweed Deluxe, amd a low power Twin give me all the grit I need...used to use clean boosts more to equalize outputs between Fenders and Gibsons, but that's not a problem since I almost never play Fender guitars anymore.

2. magnucifer

magnucifer Junior Member

Mad Professor "Little Green Wonder". :dude:

3. jerrypilot

jerrypilot Senior Member

Since I stumbled across the Orange Rockerverb Mk1 Combo I've stopped using pedals . Just straight into the amps dirty channel with everything set at about twelve o'clock , and use the controls on the guitar .

4. TheTomcat

TheTomcat Senior Member

I have a Fender Custom Vibrolux and currently I'm using a Fulltone OCD, a T:Rex Dr. Swamp and a Marshall Bluesbreaker. I'm going to retire my Fulltone 10th Anniversary Fulldrive and I'm still a little undecided about the replacement. The contestants are Wampler Euphoria, Wampler Plexidrive, Wampler Pinnacle, Wampler Paisley Drive, Wampler Hot Wired, Lovepedal Eternity, Lovepedal Kanji 9, Lovepedal Kalamazoo, Lovepedal OD Eleven or Brunetti Mercury Box...:hyper:

5. guitarnut_germany

guitarnut_germany Senior Member

a Maxon OD9 into a Fender 6L6 amp does it for me
    I also use a delay every now and then, when I play my Mesa Stiletto

6. Riffs

Riffs Senior Member

I've gone through quite a few distortion pedals, and the one that works best with my
    Fuchs ODS is the Suhr Riot. It's the most natural sounding distortion pedal that I've
    played through, sounding almost like it's coming straight from the amp. I don't use but
    have played through the Suhr overdrive pedal as well (I think it's called the Shiva), and
    that also sounded great.

7. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

No pedals but a volume pedal for me when I play out. Don't want or need overdrive/distortion or any other thing.

At home, I use a Boss octave pedal to turn a guitar into instant bass for making song demos (it was one helluva lot cheaper than buying a bass!), but that's all, folks.

8. lkft

lkft Senior Member

I used to be an amp only overdrive tone for me type of guy until I started watching Greg Koch and his Wildwood LP videos. He uses a Fender Deluxe (not sure if its a Hot Rod series or what) and when he wants some crunch he steps on a small white OD pedal and it sounds absolutely glorious...I WANT ONE!!!

If anyone can tell me what OD pedal it is I'd appreciate it!!!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIgfshw-yMs&feature=relmfu]YouTube[/ame]

9. Rollingrock

Rollingrock Senior Member

Top Hat Ambassador 35 watt 2x12 with a Lizard Leg Effects Draconis Dual Boost. Double the boost, double the fun.

10. gvon

gvon Premium Member

Ikfd...I think Koch is using an Fulltone OCD and his great f'n fingers.

11. TheTomcat

TheTomcat Senior Member

+1...small white pedal & great sound indicates strongly to an OCD. :D

12. roodyrocker

roodyrocker Senior Member

Depends on the amp I'm using. I have some high gain amps that need no pedal but others such as my Marshall Randy Rhoads or JCM 800 get an extra kick from a Fulltone OCD.

Rudy

13. Alvinfan

Alvinfan Senior Member

I have always preferred the distortion from pedals to the distortion from the amp. Also I like multi eff pedals because of the versatility.
    At the moment I use TC Electronics Nova System, which among other things, make a great overdrive that preserve the individual tone of the different guitars I plug in.

14. prs97

prs97 Senior Member

I have a Klon centaur that I havent used in a real long time. The overdrive from the SLO-100 alone is just heavenly in my book.

15. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure Premium Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl38skCaLY&feature=context&context=C3baf959UDOEgsToPDskJb2aqJbH9Fy71eOXv9JeHh"]MXR Phase90 Script Logo, HW, (Shake'N some Strings) Demo - YouTube[/ame]

back in the day, got all of the punch and crunch out of the amp and never considered an overdrive/distortion pedal

past 5/6 years prefer running the amp clean (vol 2/3) and using an overdrive for the edge (favorite so far: Rivera Blues Shaman overdrive [i have two: one for the stack, one for the combo])

i like pedals and signal processors, and, i like the option of playing dry or coloring the sound as desired

the art is not just notes and unadulterated tone, but also playing the silence and using effects well

16. roodyrocker

roodyrocker Senior Member

The SLO 100 is one of my amps that I don't use a distortion/OD pedal with :) Others are Bogner Ecstasy and Uberschall, Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 and 30R. These amps have plenty of gain in them.

Rudy

17. Angus Blackmore

Angus Blackmore Member

I have a Dr Swamp and a largely unused Bogner Ecstasy red, both of which are plenty good for moi. The only ODs I lust after are the KOT and the Rivera Double Shaman (although I hate bulky pedals).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  18. Angus Blackmore

Angus Blackmore Member

How do you rate the Dr. Swamp over the Fulltone and the Wampler Hot Wired and others you're familiar with?

19. Pythonman

Pythonman Senior Member

Have just picked this one up. Probably a 1980-1981 DOD OD250. Sounds pretty cool as is with my Telecaster and Strat but it's soon to be on its way to Analogman for the 741 Grey specs mod and true bypass. Very fortunate to find this one with the original box and all it came with.

[​IMG]dod251 by Rick S., on Flickr
    [​IMG]dod250 by Rick S., on Flickr
    [​IMG]dod252 by Rick S., on Flickr

X–Ray likes this.
  20. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

no pedals ...I went through that phase....I would recommend setting up your amp to use the guitar knobs...(depending on your choice of music) On the other side of the coin, if you find you need a boost that EP Booster worked pretty darn good.

X–Ray likes this.