Use any overdrive/distortion pedals?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by 58VOSLESPAUL, Jun 8, 2010.

1. 58VOSLESPAUL

58VOSLESPAUL Junior Member

Do you guys use any overdrive distortion pedals with you reissues and amp or do use use the channels completely from amp? Just curious? If so what kind?

2. capthowdy

capthowdy Senior Member

Depends. My main amp is a Koch StudioTone 20 Head with 2.5 channels; clean, od and od+. I use a Bad Monkey TS clone with it. If I'm using my
    non-master volume Matamp Chino combo, which is a single channel amp, I'll use the Monkey and a Blackstar HT Dual. This is all regardless of the guitar (I rarely use single coils)

3. Lemonhead

Lemonhead Senior Member

Pedals, most definitely. I play through a old blackface Bassman head that has the bass channel modded to be like a Marshall, and I use an old Rat pedal and, recently, have been using a GGG Brown Sound pedal too.

4. pippy

pippy Member

No.

Although twenty-odd years ago I had a Big Muff Pi.

I play through a Music Man 2x12 and it has easily more than enough overdrive for my needs.

5. Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful Banned

I only use a pedal when using my Strat. A moded TS808 at the front of the chain.

6. asmith9509

asmith9509 Senior Member

Yes. I play through a Boogie Mark 2, and at reasonable volumes it is tough to get full crunch. I like a Monte Allums modded Blues Driver, and sometimes use a TS808 to boost for solos.

7. lewddude

lewddude Senior Member

I only use a BBE Boosta Grande with my Twin Reverb. My Marshall Mode Four needs no pedals...

8. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Fulltone Fulldrive 2, original Marshall Bluesbreaker, Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9, Danelectro Fab Tone...

9. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

I prefer whatever distortion the amp is capable of on its own. I've never been into pedals much and rarely ever use those that I have.

10. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

I think this is more of an amp question than a guitar question. My amp looks after the overdrive. I run through either a JTM60 or a JCM800.

11. 59bluze

59bluze Senior Member

I have a few amps, but mainly I use Two tube Screamers,one for a mild boost and one for more boost, I have a Boss DD2 Delay,Keely Compressor, an Orig, UniVibe, I just picked up a new OKKO Diablo Pedal,Its like a Tube Screamer with more control, Very nice for a clean boost. Some Gigs I just go straight into a Kendrick Tweed Bassman Clone amp, It has great Tube reverb, It all depends on what music/gigs to what Effects or amp needed.

12. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Fulltone OD
    Bluesbreaker

Satchurator

13. uburoibob

uburoibob Senior Member

I generally use the built in Tube Screamer or 808 built into my Digitech RP-500. But I rarely use distortion.

Also, I use channel two on my Mesa Express 5:25 12". It's marvelous.

For recording, I generally will use my 1958 Gibson GA-20T amp. Great Tube saturation and weep.

Bob

mre828 likes this.
  14. BEDLAM_1

BEDLAM_1 Senior Member

I use a speedbox by Modtone,,,not all the time..must for that push, they ARE great pedels for the money i think...i found pushing an over driven valve amp the best way to use um..
    but they are great for low volume drive too.!..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_s7OOKEA1Sw]YouTube - Boss DS-1 Modtone Speedbox Distortion pedal shootout[/ame]

Can be a bit noisey though

15. BEDLAM_1

BEDLAM_1 Senior Member

oh yeh!...and the tone on the MTis SO much better/versitile than the Boss..i think,
    Had both

16. Micky

Micky Senior Member

I generally use the crunch channel on my Marshall, but I recently modded my DS-1 pedal and it sounds pretty good.

17. mraajr

mraajr Senior Member

This holds true for me as well. I continue to buy them thinking that will be the "one" that makes a believer out of me but that has yet to happen.

18. bluefrog

bluefrog Senior Member

yep for a JTM45 Clone or AC 30 or Class 5,
    I have both Fulltone OCD and a ZVEX Box of Rock in front of the amps (alternative!).
    The class5 just needs a BOR.
    OD just sounds killer, no harm to the tone less is more and true by pass of course.
    my Englstraight doesn't need any pedal maybe a soloboost sometimes...

19. tele52

tele52 Senior Member

Marshall 1974x, I use the volume knob for overdrive. But if I want dirt at low levels OCD, and Fulldrive 2.

20. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Hmm, let me see...

Ibanez TS-10 (in 3 different flavours of modification)
    Boss BD-2
    Rat 2
    Colorsound Supa Tonebender
    JHS Fuzz
    Boss OD-1
    Boss SD-1
    Boss DS-1
    Si Fuzz Face
    Small Bear Bear Face
    Danelectro Daddy-O
    Danelectro French Toast
    GEO Foxx Tone Machine Clone
    Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
    Ibanez TS-9
    Russian Electroharmonix Big Muff Pi
    Boss HM-2

I'm pretty sure I've got some others, but those are the ones I regularly get out, in rough order of preference. The TS-10s are the favourites, with the BD-2 close behind.

As far as overdriving amps is concerned, I occasionally use the drive from the amp in a big way (Marshall 2203/2204) but I'll quite often use a fairly "straight" amp and just let the power tubes give me the crunch I want (Marshall 1987 or 1962, Fender PR, Epi VJ, Diason). I'm not really into channel switching amps.

Unfortunately once you've tried a few of these things, you'll realise they're all good, so you'll want all of them. At least that's what happens to me.

Liam