USB Audio interface question

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Rockbly66, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Rockbly66

Rockbly66 Member

I'm thinking about using a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 USB audio interface for practicing my guitar with head phones on and maybe some light recording. I use a MP3 slowdown program and Video slowdown program to practice with. My question is because I have never done this before I want to make sure I can hear these programs as well as any sound coming from my computer through the headphone connected to the Audio Interface. I Assume you can but I am just making sure. I am going to be using Amplitube the free download at first for amp modeling. Is that a good choice for just starting out. Thanks

2. lespauldawg

lespauldawg Senior Member

I have recently setup my Focusrite 2i2 and it works great....I use headphones and record through an SM57 Mic and it couldn't be easier.
    Although I prefer to record through my amps plus a Microphone as opposed to using amplitude and all the other software available.
    My point is the Focusrite is great and easily satisfies my recording needs and I am a novice!!

3. Rockbly66

Rockbly66 Member

Can you hear all the sound that would normally come out of the computer speakers through the headphones

4. lespauldawg

lespauldawg Senior Member

Definitely, blind leading the blind on this one but what I can tell you is my headphones are plugged into the Focusrite and the interface is connected to the Laptop.
    So, not sure if this helps but the Focusrite is easy to work with and for me thats a huge bonus.
    As I mentioned previously I record through a sm57 Microphone + Friedman Mini Dirty Shirley amp. I prefer the "live off the floor" style...

5. Rockbly66

Rockbly66 Member

What I am asking is if you were to play a song on Itunes on your laptop when the Focusrite is plugged in would you hear the music out of the headphones that are plugged into the focusrite.

6. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Have you tried plugging your headphones into your PC sound card jack with I - tunes running?

See if you get sound output there first. You should.
    Adjust the I-tunes volume and system volumes up to near the top.

If you get playback there, the simplest thing to do is run a patch cable from there into the saffire unit as another input.

Assign a track to the input in your DAW and move the track volume slider to where you want it to balance between it and your inputs.

7. BluesRock

BluesRock Senior Member

Yes, you can hear the playback from the computer and your playing at the same time but... I don't know if you can record while playing back through iTunes. I've always done it by adding the song as a track in my DAW. Then I have full control over everything with the monitoring options.

8. Rockbly66

Rockbly66 Member

Its more for practicing than recording, but that is perfect thanks for the info.

9. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

10. VicodinDream

VicodinDream Senior Member

I use mine for both. With most DAW's for live playback for practice- it sucks. VERY laggy.

But what I do, is set mine up for the monitor mode, put a distortion in front of it- and it's good enough.