Uplifting Bryan Ferry song

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by FoodSexMusic, Aug 27, 2014.

1. FoodSexMusic

FoodSexMusic Banned

Trying to figure out the chords to this wonderful song. A lot of chords there is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Qj7fh0JmE

I'm guess the intro is Bbsus4-Bb, and the chords under the fist lyrics; Em, A, F#m, Bm, G, G+.......

Unsure of prechorus chords at 1:01 and 1:02. And chords from 1:35 to 1:51

I think the end of the m8 from 3:14 to 3:22 is A, G, Bm, A, G, D.... Unsure of chords from 3:28 to 3:32

Brilliant stuff as always from Ferry

Thanks

2. JonR

JonR Senior Member

Starts that way, yes, but check the bass. It's going through that old I-vi-IV-V sequence, whch turns the chords into:
    Bb - Gm7 - Bb/Eb (Ebmaj7-ish) - Bb/F (F13-ish).
    (Not counting the little D-Eb-D melodic motif on each chord).
    You can just play Bbsus4-Bb over it all, but you miss the subtlety without the bass.
    Um, not really...

From 0:23 (verse), it's:
    |Dm - - - |Gm7 - - - |C/E - - - |F - - - |
    |Bb - - - |Gm7 - - - |Asus4 - A - |Dm - - - |
    |Gm7 - - - |C/E - - - |F - - - |Bb - - - |
    |Gm7 - - - |Asus4 - A - |Dm - Dm/C - |F7sus4 - - - |

(Clever sequence, because it's 7 bars repeated, leaving two bars (Dm-F7) to fill in the 16.)

Then the chorus (1:05):
    |Bb - - - |Gm7 - - - |Ebmaj7 - - - |Bb - - - |
    |F - - - |Eb(6) - - - |C7 - Dm7 - |Eb - F7 - |
    |Bb - - - |Gm7 - - - |Ebmaj7 - - - |Bb - - - |
    |F - - - |Eb(6) - - - |C7/E - C - |Eb - F7 - |
    |Cm7 - Bb - |C9sus4 - - - |

Then (1:51) it's back to the intro chords.

The second verse (2:01) is a shortened (9-bar) version of the first verse (the 7-bar sequence, plus 2):
    |Dm - - - |Gm7 - - - |C/E - - - |F - - - |
    |Bb - - - |Gm7 - - - |Asus4 - A - |Dm - Dm/C - |F7sus4 - - - |

Chorus 2 at 2:25.

BRIDGE (3:14) (another 7-bar sequence!)
    |Gb - Ab - |Bb - Bbm - |Gb - Fm - |Ebm - - - |
    |Gb - Ab - |Gb - Fm - |Ebm7 - Dbadd9 - |

3:32 = back to the intro again (Bb major).

3:42 = another 9-bar verse (as fom 2:01).

4:05 = chorus
    Asus4 - A - |Dm - Dm/C - |F7sus4 - - - |
    The Asus-A also occurs at 0:39 ;).
    That's bars 13-18 of the chorus - see above.

1 person likes this.
  3. FoodSexMusic

FoodSexMusic Banned

Thanks,

Btw, I downloaded a free version of that 7th String software. Do I now have to download something else in order to be able to have it read a video file? How is it that you have it read the chords from a video??

4. JonR

JonR Senior Member

1. You need a separate piece of software to download and convert youtubes to MP4. I use an older version of this:
    YTD Video Downloader - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    There are plenty of other free options.

When you open the MP4 in Transcribe, it displays a video window next to the usual audio window. You use the usual audio controls to slowdown, etc.
    The only control on the video window is a sync slider, that lets you align the audio with the video if necessary (often youtubes are out of sync).

BTW, if you want to work from a youtube video, but you don't need to watch a player's hands - ie you only need the audio, not the video - you can just record the audio direct into Transcribe as it plays (if you have your soundcard set up right). Alternatively, you could download the youtube as an MP3. (I've never done that myself, I always just record in real time. That way you get WAV files, better quality than MP3.)

2. The software doesn't "read the chords". You can select a short portion of the waveform, and an optional window will tell you what it thinks the chord is at that point. It's usually correct(ish), but you need your ear and your common sense too. The software hears every frequency in the waveform, and not all of those sounds will be relevant to the chord. I usually find my ears are at least as good as the software, and I use the selection display to check individual pitches for myself, rather than take much notice of what chord it says is there.

IOW, the software is like a microscope is to a scientist, or a telescope to an astronomer. It doesn't tell him what he's seeing, it just helps him see it better.

5. To Need a Woman

To Need a Woman Senior Member

Are you sure that's a C7 in there. I think it's supposed to be a Cm7 or Cm