Upgrading From Micro Dark To Dark Terror

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Classicplayer, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

I've had such good results the past two years getting some really useful clean and gain tones from my Orange Micro Dark, that I realize that I might be even happier with a Dark Terror. I just wonder about the comparison between the two amps' respective tones. Is the idea behind the DT that an all tube circuit will be louder, have even better touch control (the MD has decent touch control, itself) and just sound smoother overall both clean and gain'd up?

I like the idea of both amps having simple controls....good for my style. Despite the DT being 15 watts as opposed to 20 on the MD; would not the DT be louder overall? I do really like the Micro Dark's tone and I'm thinking that a Dark Terror will have similar tones; only smoother. I'm a home player and do some recording using a PPC112 with a well broken in V30. If I can tame the MD for home use and still get great tone (as I have) I think I could manage the same with the Dark Terror

Classicplayer

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Long story short..if you love the Micro, you will REALLY love the Dark Terror.

3. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I dont own either, but am willing to bet the DT will be MUCH louder.

4. Classicplayer

Amen. It probably will be just that. Then, some reviewers of the MD write the same. I can get the MD loud, but a lot depends on room size and room acoustics; does it not? The V30 I use made the MD a bit on the loud size IMO, although those in my home within earshot say, "no", it's not too much. Now that
    the V30 is broken in, the sound seems more refined and new speaker spikiness is no longer heard.

Classicplayer

5. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Just keep in mind with the all tube DT you will have to run it much louder to get into the sweet spot and work the power tubes. Tones which you might be used to getting at much lower volumes with the MD because of the SS power section. Just saying since you said it was for home use. You might find yourself shopping for a attenuator shortly which is fine too because there's no replacement for all tube tone

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  6. Classicplayer

There is the 7 1/2 watt switch on this amp. Will that interfere with this amps' all tube tone?

Classicplayer

7. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

No it will probably function to shut down one of the el84 tubes thus dropping the watts down in the 7 range. That's how many amps do it but not positive that's how the orange works

8. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Tiny Terror sounds fantastic on the half setting.

9. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Congrats. I luuuuuv me dem tube amps

bulletproof likes this.
  10. Classicplayer

Well, I haven't made the plunge just yet. I'm still doing my best to justify the benefits when weighed against the $$ outlay.

Just about all the reviews extol its tone and usefulness, but it still is a high gain amp; so more thinking for me is needed.

Classicplayer

11. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Very wise.

bulletproof likes this.
  12. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Find a Tiny Terror!!

13. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

I have a few Oranges and I just added a Dark Terror a few months ago, it's a badass little amp.

14. Bubba Z

Bubba Z Member

I've never played the Dark Terror, but I own an OR15. Let me just say, 15 watts of Class-A tube amp is far louder than I expected it would be before owning it. I play mine through a PPC212 closed-back cabinet and the little monster roars. As mentioned earlier in this thread, you will need to to turn it up to get the tubes cooking for that sweet tone. However, the beauty of it being 15 watts is that you can hit that sweet spot much sooner than you would with a 100 (or even 50) watt amp.

15. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Dark terrors are awesome amps. But no doubt will be loud even in 7 1/2 watt mode. But if your playing your micro at what you think is loud (i have one also so i now who impressively loud that tiny box is) you should be able to enjoy the dark terror.
    Every now and then i play a TH 100 thru a 4x12 of vintage 30's, my god is it bliss. Blow your ears off bliss, but still bliss.

16. Frankg11

Frankg11 Senior Member

Started with Micro went to Tiny Terror then CR120 all on a PCC 2x12 Orange Cab. So get to the store test a tiny terror before getting a micro dark. Trust me on this. You will love the Tiny. And if you want to go big.. Check out the CR120 as you are already in the transistor world not the tube world.

17. Classicplayer

My on-going thanks to you who know more about the DT than myself. I plan on using the DT with only the PPC112 and one pedal; that being a T.C. Electronic Hall Of Fame with this setup. With my Micro Dark, both this cab and pedal are really satisfying my Orange tone craving. That Orange chime has sort of seeped into my consciousness, you might say......to the point that I can actually hear it in my head when away from my guitar. Those of you who know Orange know what I'm speaking of.

I'm imagining what the Dark Terror will bring to this mix (despite its volume). The MD can get loud enough for me and where I don't play out these days.......it might be overkill. I don't go into "Metal Land" so as long as that familiar chime is going on, I'm quite content. I don't think That I can mention another amp name that gets that particular tone......hard to describe in words, but I know it when I hear it.

Classicplayer

18. Classicplayer

I just went back to this post.....an attenuator; Ay! What would be a decent one, if I find that I go to the Dark Terror? I thought that the 7.5 watt side would act as a "default" attenuator....as such.

Classicplayer

19. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

You would be shocked how loud just 1 watt tube tone can be. 5 watts cranked is enough to have the neighbors call the police. So yeah you're probably gonna need an attenuator playing at home. Weber makes solid affordable ones. But probably the best is the Power Station currently. Actually Fryette makes a small tube home use amp you may want to check out. I think is called the Tubeulator. And yes the 7 watt switch will cut volume slightly but not in half. It doesn't work like that. 15 watts is enough to play a gig in fairly large room and still blow people's ears out and get over a drummer

20. Classicplayer

It's a go. I ordered a Dark Terror this p.m. And it will should be here early next week; I'm told. I'm looking forward to it, really. Based upon the great tones (at reasonable home volume) that I get from the Micro Dark, and answers and observations from those that are familiar with the DT. I think it's time to get deeper into Orange tone, only the the all tube variety. I'll let all interested posters here in on my opinions when it arrives and also when fired up. I'm not counting on it for Metal sounds as that's not my area of interest, but rather that old-school Kossoff tones as far as Classic Rock goes. Just guitar, cord, amp and reverb with control only from my Les Paul's volume and tone controls.

Classicplayer

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017