Unpotted, Alnico 2, Unevenly Coiled PAFs

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Blues_Man_680, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Blues_Man_680

Blues_Man_680 Junior Member

Hello forum,

I'm looking for something like Gibson 57 classics but unpotted and the coils unevenly wound; out of phase would be a plus but not really necessary as I can flip the magnet myself. I haven't been able to find any pickups like this that have not been discontinued. I'm looking for the Peter Green-like tone of early Fleetwood Mac, but not particularly the out of phase bit like almost everyone else who chases his tone. If you must know, the pickups are going into a 2000-ish Korean Hamer archtop along with all new electronics, pots, and hardware. (Yes I'm aware I'm putting lipstick on a pig, but she's a very, very pretty pig.) Any help you guys can give will be more than appreciated! Thank you!

2. skelt101

skelt101 Senior Member

Burstbuckers...? :dunno:

3. Gold_topped

Gold_topped Senior Member

61 zebra humbuckers? I believe they are not potted.

4. darthphineas

darthphineas Senior Member

Green was playing a 59 LP.

find a set of replicas of a PAFs based on a 59 Lester. flip the mag, if needed.

5. AbbeSauniere

AbbeSauniere Senior Member

I've had a lot of Peter Green inspired pickups over the years and the Throbaks have sounded the closest to me. A5 magnets and they have this crunchy character that I've found is missing in most PG style pickups.

C.J. likes this.
  6. Axis39

Axis39 Senior Member

Talk to david ( @Zhangliqun ) at Zhangbuckerhttp://www.zhangbucker.com. He wound me a set of pickups that nailed the tone I was looking for. They were very affordable as well.

This is me, with them, at an open mic/jam I host:

7. Natural1

Natural1 Premium Member

To a certain extent, 57 Classics sound like they do because the coils are pretty much evenly wound.
    James at ReWind makes a set called the Creme Brulee which is his take on a 57 Classic and they are unpotted. I have a set in an Epiphone ES-339 that sounds just fantastic. Worth a look for sure. James is happy to do custom winds as well.

8. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

Wolf ^_^ likes this.