Unload A Couple Trads for Another Reissue?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Valkyrie, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Senior Member

I decided to experiment on a 2016 Trad Lightburst from SW. I found a set of Custombuckers on the bay and ordered a new 50's harness and pots from JonesyBlues. Of the three Trads I have, this one is my favorite but I don't like the taper on the pots and I'm not a fan of the pickups. So in a few days I'll have everything and see how she sounds.

2. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

I'm sure you'll hear a big difference. Nobody can tell me those newer '57 Classics are not different than the originals. I had a set from around 97-98 in a '95 LP Classic. They were definitely not as grainy, bright and thin sounding as the ones I've recently tried. I had other pickups in that Classic too so I know it wasn't the guitar.

3. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

If you are a collector, trade out and get the RI. If you are a player, juice up the trad. But what if you are BOTH? Then do what your gut tells you...

Geronimo and alnico59 like this.
  4. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Senior Member

I don't think the bank account can handle it. Lol. I have a plan for another reissue early next year. I think I want an R8. I like that plain top look.

Geronimo likes this.
  5. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Senior Member

Exactly! I had a 97 Studio back then that I put 57s in and they were much better sounding pickups. The latest offerings I am not really liking.

6. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

57's were supposedly great pickups when they were originally aftermarket only, then high-end RI's or CC OEM (the Tom Holmes days).
    Of course once they got into being put into USA line guitars the construction got too expensive to fit within the profit structure of those guitars so practically every spec got altered....wind, wire and 'everything' else.
    I think the 57's and BB's (and even CB's) in the ever increasing runs of RI's are responsible for the high level of aftermarket winders we have now - as many more people proportionally seem to get into historics and the level of dissatisfaction gets ever higher.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    alnico59 likes this.
  7. lesterp

lesterp Senior Member

I just recently picked up a Traditional, as I wanted a big neck Lester that was close to my 58' RI.
    Have to say, this Traditional is now my #1 gigging guitar. I did change the pickups, vol and tone pots, added a lightweight tailpiece and strap locks. The guitar can hang with my 58' no problem. No, it's not as good, but it's not that far off either.

As long as you have one of each... You'll be ok. :)

Geronimo and alnico59 like this.
  8. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Senior Member

Well one of each is a relative term. I'm already eyeballing an R8 for my next one hopefully in the spring. And I just had to have one of these new American Professional Strats that will be here tomorrow.

My wife is ready to kill me.