Unload A Couple Trads for Another Reissue?

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by Valkyrie, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Senior Member

Recently I bought my first reissue. An R9. Have wanted one forever. I have three Trads. All very nice guitars. But the R9 is stellar in comparison. The feel and the sound are more appealing. Don't get me wrong, my Trads are spectacular guitars. But the reissue has something more. I am considering unloading two of the three to fund an second reissue, maybe an R8 as I really like a plain top with some mineral streaks.

Or maybe I could tweak my Trads to mimick the reissues a little more. New vintage wiring and swap oytbthe 57s for something else.

Any thoughts?

dleake, Geronimo and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

There are some things you can do to make a trad more resemble a RI......mainly electrics. If you went to say ReWind you could get a pickup set and whole wiring upgrade in one purchase.....all setup so that the values complemented each other.
    Drop that into 1 trad and see where that gets you.....but keep the original bits as intact as you can if you need to put them back in for resale.

The chassis is something you cannot 'upgrade'. As such if you feel the the RI you have just seems head and shoulders above this modded trad then yes maybe the selloff will be warranted.
    As such sell the guitars you need over time, and keep an eye out for something nice. Given you already have a burst RI, maybe a GT might be a good option.

cherrysunburst00 and Geronimo like this.
  3. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

IMG_0551.JPG
    I just got my first Reissue this past weekend, a used 2013 '58. I too had 3 Trads and sold one today. I don't think you'll ever be able to mod a Trad so that it feels and looks and plays like a Reissue. My '58 is a lot lighter, the binding is nicer, the neck feels chunkier, I can get my strings to almost lay on the fret board without any buzz, the tortoise side markers look better, The faded red finish on the back and neck look nicer, especially where the black on the headstocks meets the side of it, and I could go on. Here's the one I sold on the left next to my '58. As nice as the Trad is, the '58 just looks and feels miles above it. I have no regrets selling it and now I'm going to hunt for another Reissue.

4. Roshy Boy

Roshy Boy Senior Member

If you like tweaking and modding, that's one thing. But a Trad will never be an RI. The differences, might be subtle taken one at a time. Added together though, the whole package is why you bought your R9.

I'm back to owning an R9 after selling a Trad and a 58 ES335 Reissue. I only want one LP and the R9 is it. I had an R8 at one time but sold it to get the 335. (Gas is a bitch).

Trads are nice. As everyone agrees, a great value for the price. But I wouldn't put extra money into one expecting it to be a Reissue. It will still be a Trad with upgrades.

5. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

Unload the two Trads, but maybe go after something a little different like an R4 with a wraparound bridge. They make them in Sunburst finishes with mineral streaks, etc. Just my $0.02.

dleake likes this.
  6. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Tough time to sell anything. So keep that in mind.

The cherry sunburst next to my 2014 R8 in my avatar is a 2010 Trad w/a 50's profile neck. I had the whole guitar gutted electronic wise. That included every wire and replaced with vintage correct. All hardware nickel with a light weight TP. Bone nut. Pickups are hand wound PAF replicas w/A5 mags. Pots are Dimarzio low torque vintage 500k. Wired 50's. Caps are NOS Russian. Not important to what we're speaking about here but the plastics are CreamTone.

End result was night and day. However the neck and the weight (9.9) of the guitar throws off from the feel when compared to my R8, R7. But sound wise it hangs right there. Maybe a tad brighter than my Historic LP's. But in a good way. Put liked this, I have 2k in the guitar as it sits. I would not sell it for 2k which would be a hard sell anyways. I'm very happy with it and don't fear bringing it outside the house.

I decided to do what I did because I was able to get a great deal on the guitar and it has a flame top that rivals most R9's I see.

I guess with anything it's the luck of the draw. I would say if you really want a Historic - get a Historic.

Jer, cherrysunburst00 and Geronimo like this.
  7. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

As a guy who's "been there, done that" don't sell your other guitars if you just recently got your first reissue. Give it at least a couple months. If you don't play the others, sell them.

Jer, dleake, JMB1984 and 6 others like this.
  8. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Senior Member

I know fully a Trad will never be a reissue. But one of the biggest issues I have with my Trads in comparison is the interaction of the control pots. The R9 is much more organic and smooth where the Trads seem to not have as much sweep in the volume side and do nothing but muffled the tone side.

Also I am not liking the 57s any more. The R9 had Burstbuckers. I have Burstbuckers in my 335 Goldtop. I love them but they are pricey and was wondering if SD or someone else made a similar or even better sounding pup.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  9. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Exactly why I'm hanging onto one of my Trads. Plus it's a beauty!

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  10. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Here's the Trad I'm keeping. Actually a Trad Pro with the plastic swapped and a Bigsby I added IMG_0409.JPG

Jer and DagerOne like this.
  11. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

yep that's what I did....Worked out real well...

Jer and Geronimo like this.
  12. GT40

GT40 Senior Member

I try, as much as I can, to buy once, buy right.

I have found from prior experience, buying something that is 80% there and then trying to upgrade usually ends up costing more. Plus you will usually end up selling the upgraded item for a significant loss to buy what you originally wanted anyway.

If you are sure an RI is it and you won't be enjoying the trads anymore, go for it.

13. XpensiveWino

XpensiveWino Senior Member

I'd say it depends on the guitar, and primarily on the necks on the Traditionals. If you like the neck and it is suitably similar to a reissue, you can get pretty close with mods. I've had two Traditionals. My 2011 was great, and had a very chunky neck, but the 'fit and finish' just wasn't there for me. Also the frets and binding were just satisfactory. OTOH, I just bought a 2016 Traditional (the headstock was broken when I bought it too!) and the details are fantastic. Frets, binding, 'fit and finish' are all spot on. After repairing the headstock myself, it has really become my go to, along with my 2003 standard. So much so that I recently sold my R8.

I'm a player, and part time pro. The cash sitting tied up in that R8 I could just no longer justify after landing the 2016 - at a steep discount due to the neck break.

All that being said, I still say it comes down to the guitar. The 2016 Traditional has a brighter sound than my R8 did (not good or bad, just worth noting). The thing that sealed my decision to sell was that the traditional simply played better. Maybe I got a gem of a traditional. On this particular deal between these two specific guitars, I have not looked back.

I WILL always keep an eye out for the next deal on a reissue to come along though.

14. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

Unfortunately, once you start down the reissue road, going back is nearly impossible...........

Dilver, rockinlespaul, dleake and 3 others like this.
  15. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

I've only had mine a little over a week now and couldn't agree more. I had my high "E" string unwind at the ball end Saturday night at the gig and switched to my "'61 SG" and couldn't wait until my break so I could replace the string and put the SG back on the stand. Now I'm even looking at that Pelham blue Traditional sideways. The one I "wasn't going to sell". And what I especially like about the VOS finish is if it gets a nick or a little scratch it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Naturally I'll do all I can to avoid that but it doesn't have to be perfect. I'm a busy working musician and things happen.

dleake likes this.
  16. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Once bitten!

dleake and Geronimo like this.
  17. dleake

dleake Member

Ha! @Geronimo When you purchased your Reissue I came on here and said you should sell your other Trads and get another Reissue. You mentioned that wouldn't be happening and I felt a little silly suggesting it as who am I to say what someone likes and doesn't like. Now I see you've pretty much done that! Good call! Like @Crotch and @Sct13 said, once you go Reissue it get's tough to pick up those other ones. :cheers:

Geronimo and Sct13 like this.
  18. dleake

dleake Member

This can also happen amongst Reissues. Get that one Reissue that fits you perfectly and your other Reissues that you used to love become expendable. I recently acquired a CC#7 Shanks (thanks @Tim Plains!) that has the perfect neck and is the ideal weight for me. I'm now contemplating selling my '57 RI Custom and '91 Custom, which are now being neglected, to get another Reissue that is closer to the Shanks. These things are dangerous man! :run:

Jer, Geronimo and Sct13 like this.
  19. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

I don't think your suggestion was silly at all. I am keeping ONE Traditional though. It's to pretty to let go. Right now. That could change.

dleake likes this.
  20. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

I spent around an hour today with a new '58 Reissue at Guitar Center hoping I wouldn't like it better than my 2013. Thankfully I didn't ! But I'm keeping my eyes open for another.

dleake likes this.