Unhappy with 2005 CS Strat

Discussion in 'Fender' started by MichaelAndrew3435, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Falconbill

Falconbill Premium Member

I'd rather have the Clapton.

RichBrew likes this.
  2. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

Trying to figure out if a CS Clapton Strat is worth the extra $$ versus the production model.

3. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

Hi!
    I've played a (pewter) CS Clapton, and it was somewhat nicer than a regular signature one - particularly the fretwork.
    However, the noiseless pups in the Clapton kinda suck IMOP...
    Are you buying from CMI? If so, I'd check out the Eric Johnson Strats they have - I'm a bit biased, but my EJ is the best Strat I've ever played, be it CS or regular production. If going for a CS, definately get one with the 6-screw tremolo - the 2-screw ones don't do proper Strat sound IMOP!

4. MichaelAndrew3435

Are you not a fan of noiseless pickups? Or are the ones on the Clapton model just sucky?

5. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

The ones in the Clapton are the standard Fender Noiseless, and aren't great IMOP. Prefer the Lace Sensors if anything, but I don't really like noiseless pups in a Strat - that what a Gibson is for :laugh2:

6. ezra1

ezra1 Senior Member

CME has lots of cool Stratocasters.
    Custom Shop, Artist Models and American Vintage.

7. MUSTANGCAT

MUSTANGCAT Banned

I hear you bro! I had one from around the same circa as yours. It had all kinds of issues and did not sound all that great. It was a piece of garbage. I got rid of it. I replaced it with an American Special which is totally awesome. The CS 50s Strat I had was pretty though, a nice surf green. I tried everything without changing parts out and such. It was total trash. Get rid of that thing!

MichaelAndrew3435 likes this.
  8. MichaelAndrew3435

Interesting, I have a 2014 Special I prefer much more over any other Strat I've owned. I sent the guitar back about a month ago. Once I get a new job, I'm going to try the Eric Clapton Sig. I think I'll like the TRX circuit.

9. RichBrew

RichBrew Senior Member

You will, as well as the 25 dB mid boost. There's eff-all wrong with the Fender noiseless pickups, either. :thumb:

I bought mine three years ago, and straight out of the box (I stood there whilst the bloke at Anderton's opened it), it was eminently playable. It took me less than ten minutes to evaluate, then buy, the guitar.