Unhappy with 2005 CS Strat

Discussion in 'Fender' started by MichaelAndrew3435, Apr 21, 2017.

1. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

So I recently bought a 2005 50's style Stratocaster from the Chicago Music Exchange via Reverb.com.

First red flag, the box it came in has an indicator that tells you if the package was handled in a rough manner. It was red, which means it was. I opened up the package and everything seemed okay for the most part. I did notice some finish checking that wasn't described in the original description but that's not the end of the world.

Second issue, in positions 2 and 4 with the toggle switch, there's a strange crackle and there's no hum elimination like every other Stratocaster I've played. Not sure if this is something normal for this specific model or not, but I've never played a Strat with this issue before.

And last but not least, I can't seem to get the guitar to stay in tune. I've tried stretching the strings and all that with no luck.

I've never returned a guitar to someone on Reverb after buying many in the past, but this might be my first. I don't know how difficult of a process it is. Anyone do it before?

2. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

Depending upon the model you have, it may not have a RWRP middle pickup. The original Strats did not have RWRP middle pups and they buzzed in all positions. Some of the CS models use true to vintage spec pups, so that may be why you buzz in positions 2 and 4.

As for not staying in tune, the guitar probably just needs a good setup. I do all my own setups since I am a picky bastard and expect every guitar I buy to require it.

I have bought guitars from Chicago Music Exchange before and they were very fair, professional, accommodating and friendly. Discuss the issues with them and see what they say.

jcsk8 and MichaelAndrew3435 like this.
  3. lakeburst

lakeburst Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  4. MichaelAndrew3435

5. MichaelAndrew3435

Yes. They have been very helpful!

6. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Also you may want to check the specs on that guitar also..The current 5 way switch didn't come stock until 1977, It was only 3 position before that.

MichaelAndrew3435 likes this.
  7. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

All the issues are easily fixable.

lakeburst likes this.
  8. les_paul_jd

les_paul_jd Junior Member

That one in the link is basically a older deluxe model with a custom shop decal.

9. MichaelAndrew3435

Fake? :)

10. les_paul_jd

No not at all. It's definitely a real custom shop strat but for the price it's basically just a better wood selection than a deluxe strat of the same year. Identical specs other than a 2 piece alder or ash body. It's really nice but I never really understood why that would be a custom shop strat at the same price say as a vintage spec 65 custom shop strat or a even cooler 50's reissue strat with a fat neck.

11. les_paul_jd

12. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

Hi!
    Can you post a picture of the one you returned?
    The replacement one, I wouldn't buy! As les_paul_jd said, it's much like a glorified Deluxe, and all the Strats I've played with the 2-post bridge don't sound right IMOP.
    I've had 5 Strats - 70s AVRI, old Jeff Beck Signature, Yngwie Malmsteen, SRV and Eric Johnson, and still have the SRV and EJ. While all were "good" guitars, the EJ is in a different universe! It's by far the best Strat I've ever played, including several Custom Shop models. My bandmate also has several Strats, including a CS '65, and also says the EJ is miles better than his CS! Maybe look for one of these and save yourself some $ in the process?

13. les_paul_jd

Yes that's basically all I was saying. For the same price as that cs classic strat you can get a killer cs vintage strat. Also I did have a cs Jeff beck strat, then played the regular signature model and found no difference other than the neck pocket fit was much better than the regular USA version vs the custom shop version. Then traded the cs beck back in. Definitely not worth the extra cash.

14. MichaelAndrew3435

What about electrictronics on the red CS model?

15. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

Being primarily a strat guy, I can tell you that this guitar of all guitars can look, feel and sound MISERABLE when not set up correctly. Lighter woods are the difference. Strange for a CS to come in that way, but not unheard of. Find a good (great?) tech and have the next one set up properly, and you'll be more than happy.

16. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

Doesn't say what pups they are, but I feel the tone of a Strat has a lot to do with the bridge and wood!

17. MichaelAndrew3435

The 2007 red CS Custom Classic has 60's CS pickups according to CME. The 2007 Deluxe came with noiseless pickups (forgot what model). I don't know if there were other Deluxe models that came with anything different in 2007 though.

18. MichaelAndrew3435

19. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

the quilt is a little fancy for my tastes, but it looks nice, I dig the natural aesthetic

20. MichaelAndrew3435