Uncovered.

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Platte City Paul, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Platte City Paul

Platte City Paul Senior Member

I decided to take the covers off of my two Les Pauls to see whether I could hear a difference in tone. I know a lot of times that folks make subtle adjustments, and they hear what they want to hear instead of hearing what they actually hear. That's especially true for us folks that already have crappy hearing.

Anyway, I don't really hear much difference in the Black Guitar. That is an '08 Trad with stock 57 Classic/57 Classic plus pickups. It has an aftermarket harness in it, and is wired modern. For now. Heh. Anyway, I can't really hear a difference.

The Red One is a 94 Standard with Seymour Duncans in it. It has a 59/Custom hybrid in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. The stock 490/498s went a while ago. I actually put the 498, uncovered, into the bridge of a Strat. On this one, I really do think I hear a difference. Maybe a bit more bright, chimey and airy?

The Red One gets new pickups in a few weeks anyway. I asked David Plummer of Zhangbucker to wind me a set. Always chasing tone...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    shupe13 and JLHooker like this.
  2. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Typically speaking covers knock down some high end, if a guitar is super bright with covers you probably wont notice it get brighter. But a muddy bridge pickup can have a noticable change with no cover.
    I've done the opposite for a friend with a hss strat(non fender), it had a ice picky bright uncovered humbucker. Added a chrome cover and it mellowed ot out nicely.

DarrellV and Platte City Paul like this.
  3. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

By the time you've got the whole thing redone it will be very hard to know what the original tone was precisely.
    Plus you tend to adjust the whole pickup to the same level that the cover used to be.....then screw in the fillisters so it looks the same amount protruding like when the cover was on. Once you've done all these things you'll have positional tone shift too.

WhiteEpiLP and 1all's Pub like this.