Unbelievable Deal on Craigslist...

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by Gnarleydudes80, Dec 25, 2012.

1. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

Not to be too presumptuous, but my guess is you have not done much with online buying/sellling and or paypal.

There are a few lessons to be learned on this thread. If I was attempting to buy this guitar, I would have had, at a minimum, the following BEFORE even attempting to set up any kind of payment:

1) Phone conversation with the seller.
    You can usually sniff out a fraud more easily if you speak with someone, plus, you have one more piece of info (legit phone #) on the seller.

2) Serial Number and photo's to back it up. PERIOD.

If the seller isn't willing to talk on the phone or provide this info, it's not worth the risk.

Also, he absolutely did the right thing by requesting a paypal invoice. It's the only way you have recourse through paypal.

He also did the right thing by putting a halt to everything IMMEDIATELY. You NEVER wait for payment to clear and give someone the benfit of the doubt. It's sad, but that's today's world. As a seller, I ALWAYS have great communication with a buyer. Text, email, phone number, I always provide that info UP FRONT to any buyer, even if they don't request it. You have to watch this kind of stuff. Buyer beware if you will.

4 people like this.
  2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yes, this is critical. The sale doesn't end when the buyer collects his money. Thats just the start of the process. Communication between the buyer seller is key here. If you have nothing to hide you are more then willing to provide the buyer with everything and anything he asks for.

There were so many red flags in this transaction that any ONE of them would have caused an experienced buyer to cancel. The one that most troubled me was his inability to answer any email I sent including the 4 that simply asked for the serial number. Why in the world would a seller withhold that info on a transaction that was already paid for.

There has been points made that it was Christmas and not everyone is by their computer 24/7. Of course that was taken into consideration. However, when you leave 5 or 6 emails BEFORE you open a case and the only one that gets answered is the one regarding the case.. Well then.. Something is very wrong with that picture.

To further bolster that this was indeed a scam.. Here we are, there is an open paypal case against him. No reply to paypal OR my emails giving him yet another chance to prove he is real.. NO ANSWERS.... Game ... Set.... Match

2 people like this.
  3. donw35

donw35 Senior Member

4. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

Maybe it was never a scam... the dude just took a better deal?

Now it's being flipped by a guy too lazy to take new pics? Text is silimalr, but no more mention of a quick sale because of a baby.

Quoted while listing is still up:

5. donw35

donw35 Senior Member

his asking price is top of the market I think, in the pics you can see the goof rings. I would like to have a 74 white LPC but that prices is way off. The seller is just 10 miles from my location though.

6. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

This is proof positive it was a scam. These are the photos and ad that was stolen for the scam ad. The guitar lives in mantatten beach california with its owner.....Not manhattan New York where the scam ad was set up. All makes sense now. Glad I acted as I did and cut this off in the bud. Notice ad say Local pickup and no shipping. Makes sense that the scammer would pick an item on the other side of the country. BTW. The scammer still hasn't answered the PayPal claim and is now stealing money from them. At least 500 of it because an un-verified PayPal account can only withdraw 500 a month.

7. frankv

No Who.. What we have here is the scammer is busted. Plain and simple. The scammer got the photos from somewhere right... Guitar lives in California and was not just purchased. Different seller as I have already emailed him regarding this guitar. Now you have an ad that makes sense.

1) market price or actually above it.
    2) no Paypal or shipping
    3) local pickup only

Heres copy of the email I sent the real owner.

I wanted you to know your guitar photos and ad copy were recently used in a Craig's list scam ad in New York. I caught it early and was not harmed. There are thieves among us brother.

Looks like PayPal might be out some money as it was paid for via email. The scammer sold "your guitar" for $1000. Imagine that

Frank

So there ya have it. Buyer beware. The member that said Craig's list ads that mention shipping and PayPal are 99.9 percent scam was right on the money.

8. Tardcore

Tardcore Member

Total scam. I am 99% sure this is the exact same listing that came up a few months ago in the Madison, WI/Chicago area. I knew a buddy of mine was interested, so I emailed the guy a few questions about the serial number and inlays. No response. My friend emailed him to talk money, and he got a response but the "seller" stopped communicating when he asked about serial numbers, etc.

1 person likes this.
  9. frankv

Yep, that was exactly the same MO I found with the Original $1000 ad. No communication when serial number was requested.

10. donw35

donw35 Senior Member

when I saw this thread and the pictures that guitar looked familiar, glad you didn't get scammed. it sad but like it was said, you can't true CL all that much. I use it for local deals only.

11. frankv

Here's an update. Just got word from PayPal that the fraud case was closed today. The so called seller never answered their repeated requests for info.

1 person likes this.
  12. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

I will only consider a Craig's List ad that is local to me where I can lay hands on the item and confirm it's existence and condition. I got a great deal on my Deluxe Reverb off of CL so I can't say I'm not a fan.