Unbelievable Deal on Craigslist...

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by Gnarleydudes80, Dec 25, 2012.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Understandable BUT, he was quick to answer when I requested an invoice, then super quick to answer me when I opened a case. Hasn't responded to case BTW, but all the emails between those events and after them, went unanswered.. No, there was no question this was FRAUD. Wasn't very good at it either. He should have strung me along for a few days so he could collect his money.. Only problem i think was when I requested the serial number.. My bet is he didn't have that..

2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Sucks for me and member WHO.. We were gonna do a deal... :hmm:

1 person likes this.
  3. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I kind of thought it was odd that the seller kept his Craigslist ad up.

4. frankv

But on a positive note.....I actually did have a very successful buying weekend. I picked this up from Ebay.. I love Wolfgangs as much as I do Les Pauls. This will make 3 wolfgangs I've had. 2 Trems and one hardtail. Check her out... It's a USA Standard. Complete with an oil finished Birds Eye Maple neck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  5. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

He didn't. It's been down this whole time. If you refresh your page, it will show as deleted.

Before you refresh it, copy the whole thing, and paste it here.

Frankv... nice find on the Wolfgang. I've had my eye out for one for a while now.

1 person likes this.
  6. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Member

Not questioning or defending anyone here, just wondering.
    Yesterday was Christmas Day, today is Boxing Day, how is anyone supposed to get a tracking number? Most folks have family visiting, most shipping places are closed and some people have to work today. I don't assume that people move as fast as I usually do with selling stuff.

2 people like this.
  7. NHDave

NHDave Senior Member

Business as usual in the US, UPS and fedex were delivering.
    my company was busy hustling stuff out the door for year end.

8. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Member

Delivering yesterday? Today is back to normal, but just saying if it got shipped today the seller might not have even had a chance to get the tracking number emailed. Let alone get home from the ups store and take a pee.

9. frankv

You miss the point in all this. It's not a tracking number or lack of it. It's the total lack of any and all communications AFTER payment. That's the issue. Have you not read the events outlined in this thread? It's a series of issues that all point to a problem. It's the old if it looks like a duck it's a duck.

1) deal too good to be true. $2000 below market AND free shipping
    1b) didn't answer another members inquiry on the item but did to an invoice request
    2) instant invoice by seller sent as soon as requested
    3) refusal to issue the serial number when requested 4 times. No explanation.
    4) refusal to answer any emails yet he did write one when he got the PayPal case so I know he was getting email and wasn't away.
    5) refusal to answer the PayPal request for info
    6) still after all this will not respond to emails.
    7) un-verified PayPal account
    8) still no response at all regarding the PayPal case and possible resolution on it
    9) request to give me his phone number to discuss this ignored

Still want to give the benefit of the doubt to this guy?. Tracking number??? That's the least of the red flags. I was born at night...just not last night. No, this was a designed scam from the get go and to be honest I knew it. Just had to try it out in case of an outside chance I could snag a 74 for 1000 bucks.

Now with all that in evidence, for someone to continue to hope and pray everything is on the up and up.....well then.., they deserve to be ripped off.

5 people like this.
  10. NHDave

NHDave Senior Member

I posted that comment today. (and sorry didn't see the
    buyer's post as I typed this reply)

I just recommended that the buyer push the seller for
    a tracker because selling an item that far under market
    (and travelling while posting an ad) were red flags.
    If he had waited another day, it's possible that the
    bank account transfer might not have been stopped.

11. frankv

Bingo.... That is correct.

12. frankv

This was an important post to read. Re-read it everyone

13. Who

Who Who is not here. Please leave a message.... Premium Member

But... his listing seemed good. Not asking for shipping/PayPal, etc.

AND, he actually had some details in there that made it seem like he knew something about guitars.

Glad you did the smart thing on how you handled the transaction.

14. musicmand

musicmand Senior Member

Makes you wonder how he actually intended to do the deal. Craigslist is 99% cash-and-carry, so I don't have any idea how one would mean to scam someone.

15. frankv

No who, he actually did state PayPal AND he would ship for free in that ad. It was one of the things that prompted me to go for it.. Item was in NY and I'm in Florida

16. frankv

It was listed as PayPal available and shipping for FREE. The seller would refuse answering any local dude looking to pick up the guitar and only sell to someone in need of shipping like I was. That's how the scam could work

The FREE shipping should have been an instant red flag. He was already selling a $3000 guitar for $1000 AND he was gonna ship it for free. What the hell was I thinking going for something like that? Well, lessons learned for sure. Just glad it didn't cost me anything to learn

17. musicmand

musicmand Senior Member

Gotcha. Now that makes a lot more sense. People before were saying that he didn't mention Paypal in the ad.

Now if this guy were smart, he'd say $1000 Paypal gift, or $1100 to cover PP fees (or however much PP fees are). Maybe say (in the correspondence; not the ad, that makes you look desperate) that he needed exactly $1000 to pay a bill that came up, so shipping would be on the buyer. Whatever you could do to get the patsy to send PP gift. Trying to scam someone with full PP protection seems like a big waste of time to me.

18. frankv

Yep..he certainly isn't a pro at scamming although I would never gift something like that. Only way I went forward is with a merchant sent invoice stating what I was paying for.

1 person likes this.
  19. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

Personally I don't see how it's a scam if you cancelled the transaction before it was shipped or received. First, you only gave the guy a day of which one was Xmas. Second, you're the one who requested "Instead of just sending an email I told him to send me a PayPal request for payment." not him. Maybe you did avoid a scam but you'll never really know.

20. frankv

Well there are alot of things in life we will "never really know" arent' there..

1 person likes this.