unbalanced vs. balanced

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Rhust, Sep 25, 2017.

1. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD! I'm a sercarstic BOT! Silver Supporter Premium Member

I totally get it, I was just busting your chops! ;) No one else even thought of that angle yet, then comes powermac on the scene and steps up the game to another level! :eek2:

I would do the same thing if I had a digital out on a device I was recording.
    Only makes sense.

I knew you were recording savvy from our past chats in the recording forum. :thumb:

2. KenG

KenG Senior Member

For analog XLR is better. It is low impedance so it can drive a signal down a long cable, because it's balanced the input it is connected to is more immune to induced noise. The shield only acts as a shield with no return current travelling down unlike a standard 1/4 cable. However a good quality XLR cable costs more than an equivalent 1/4 in cable (not counting the bs low oxygen stuff people pay a premium for) as is useless to most guitarists except for hooking into a PA system so it is an additional purchase. Since a lot of us are cheap screws, I can see why people opt for the 1/4 cable

Rhust and DarrellV like this.
  3. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD! I'm a sercarstic BOT! Silver Supporter Premium Member

:rofl:

4. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

All things being equal in terms of what’s available at the venue, you’d want to run the balanced XLR for the best sound quality / least noise (that way you can ensure your digital models of the exact type and length of cables is reproduced as accurately as possible ... ;) ) but if you find yourself at a venue that can’t switch off the phantom power, or you’ve lost your long XLR lead, or your powered FRFR speaker is shot and you need to run into the effects return of a valve power amp at short notice ... or the sound guy has used up all the XLR inputs mic’ing up the drum kit (been there ...) ... I think it’s good Line 6 provide you with options.

DarrellV and Rhust like this.
  5. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

:applause: :applause: :applause: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

DarrellV and Rhust like this.
  6. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

I use the Line6-Link between the Helix and StageSource FRFR monitor and the balanced XLR output to the mixer.

PS: If the mixer has no free XLR I just unplug one of the drums :laugh2:

Pop1655, DarrellV and Rhust like this.