Ultimate valve amp, with caveats

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by cherrySunburst, Apr 18, 2007.

1. cherrySunburst

cherrySunburst Junior Member

I'm interested in what you all think is the ultimate valve amplifier... can't just say that, so here is some criteria

1. under 100w - i'm not playing woodstock anytime soon
    2. age not important, but reliability/availabilty/price is a factor - yes i'm thinking of buying
    3. for use with a whole range of guitars, solid, semis, single coils, humbuckers

I already own a Fender bassman amp which gives a great clean sound, and although I don't rule this out as being the ultimate, I shan't be buying a second one!

I haven't tried that many amps, so i'm very keen to hear your points of view

2. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

I love the bassman...

Something with diversity? Hmm. Have you looked in the the Mesa MKIV? Amazing sounding combos... I've never owned one of the heads. 60 watt I believe...

a used one will still run you a decent amount of cash though. not cheap! definitely reliable though. I used 2 in stereo for years on the road without even changing the glass.

I'm a tube fanatic, but a decent modelling amp can be fun for 'living room' shows. Line6 Vetta and that sort of deal. If you are planning on gigging with it, personally I'm not a fan of the Line6 gear, it never seems to cut through the stage mix, and I get lost.

Best of luck!

3. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Oh sorry... 85 Watts... Crazy loud! Or can be I guess. ;)

4. ptate

ptate V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

My buddy who runs Fake58 tried the Orange Tiny Terror and said it was "f*cking great".

As he's been in, and around, guitars/amps all his life, I'd imagine that's quite decent praise (especially as he's normally a miserable bastard :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Only kidding!!!)

5. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

6. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Member

I have a TT and can confirm it sounds fabulous. I use it for all small gigs. Even on 7w mode, I can still cut through the other musicians. Perfect amp for me, just 3 knobs.

I drive an Orange 1x12 cab with a Celestion Gold speaker installed. Perfect for Blues.

BTW IMO, there is no such thing as the 'ultimate' valve amp, same as there is no 'ultimate' guitar. We all have different tastes and what is good for me may not be as good for you. I also believe most of the sound comes from you and not the gear, so best advice is to try as much as you can before buying.

7. Big Mike

Big Mike V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I'm with my esteemed colleague Mr. Reardon.

Ultimate for me, may not be ultimate for you.

8. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Not the 'ultimate' amp, but I tried a Orange Rockerverb 50 a few times and I really like them. I'll probably snag one eventually.

9. hedzeppelin

hedzeppelin V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Well, I might suggest that you try a Peavey ValveKing 50 watt, 1/12 speaker.

10. HHB

HHB Member

Tophat Club Royale

11. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Can't go wrong with a good Twin either.

Or an older Vibrolux, with the alnico speakers... damn they just smoke!

12. classic

classic Senior Member

Fender BluesDeVille ... the bassman with reverb !! :slash:

... plus a 2x12 cab with AlNiCos ...

... or this one ...
    MAZ-18-Dr. Z Amplification

13. idlewild south

idlewild south V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

If there were an ultimate all of us would agree.Different strokes for different folks.

14. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Hmm Tough one, All amps mentioned are pretty good, Sometimes ya cant pick JUST one , LOL

15. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Honestly, I'm a Marshall guy... so my ultimate amp is the early 80's JCM 800 2203.

Everybody has different tastes, but the Mark IV can do just about everything... its got more switches and dials than a jumbo jet.. :D

16. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Ahhhh Marshall's have not done me wrong yet, I gotta agree that would be a prime rig right there , not a huge Mesa Boogie fan , had a nice Subway Rocket though and there was this Heartbreaker head I tried, now that was one sweet amp with both clean and distorted tones nearly to die for
    I have learned though from a few good amp tech's, more switchs, dials ect, more potential probs. my less cost solution for this is two diffrent stomp box's for distortion/ overdrive and a graphic EQ for added tone shaping options