Ultimate Fractal Audio Axe-FX Users Coming Out of the Closet Thread

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by relaxo, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

You're not alone there. To me, metal is painful listening. To each their own, however. Have you demoed Guitar Rig 4 yet? I like the direction they went. Much quieter than 1,2 or 3. Several useful presets.

I have demoed Revalver. I like it but there is noise. I want it dead quiet when I stop playing.

I've demoed (and own a version of) Amplitube. Noisy.

GarageBand, not bad. A bit noisy but not bad.

2. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

I've been using Guitar Rig since version 2. You can find a LOT of videos of mine shot with 3.1 and 4.x on my Youtube account (below). I liked it, but then I found Eleven, first the plug in and now the Rack version. At this point, I'm dropping usage of GR.
    Didn't like Amplitube at all, never.
    I am curious about Revalver, I hear it does a good simulation of Marshalls?
    I'm all about Marshalls (vintage ones), there's nothing else for me.
    I'd use the real deal, but they're far too loud and a pain to record the way I like them.
    Therefore, at least for home usage, I switched to modelers a couple of years ago.

3. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Found something I can relate to and judge by: a Back in Black clip of someone on youtube.
    Axe FX Ultra.
    I don't hear anything special here that can't be done with any other modeler?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6npPEF_QuY]YouTube - Axe Fx Ultra -Marshall Plexi - Back in Black[/ame]

4. relaxo

relaxo Senior Member

That sounds like ass ...yet another vile recording.

Hey Fil, do you remember how you "found" Eleven…was it by a strong recommendation from that Axe FX nut from NYC ...who you beat out buying that gorgeous set of PAFs from?:shock:

Congrats, you moved from Guitar Rig to Eleven Rack, from 20mm steel plate to 5mm steel plate. Next step, Axe FX, 20mm rubber band. For the 10 zillionth time, it's not just the sound of the Axe FX, it's the FEEL and feedback it gives that makes it sooooooo much better.

Did you hear this one? Not a Plexi, but a real JTM vs AxeFX.

5. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Haha Scott, glad it is you there mate!
    It was thanks to YOU that I did move to this. Yep. You moved me to look into it further and if you remember, I told you I would go into the plugin.
    Then I liked it and went on recently.

Thanks again for this.

Now, the file you are about to hear is my ideal Marshall sound.
    Bring me an Axe to sound like this and I will consider it!
    (recored right now with my 11R)

Fil :)

SoundClick artist: SoloDallas - page with MP3 music downloads

Edit PS technical details: this is a 5MB file originally 244MB at 96Khz.
    Recorded with a 1969 Gibson SG standard, no modifications, no plugins. Just the 11R.
    No PAFs here, "just" the Ttops pickups original to the SG

6. relaxo

relaxo Senior Member

Never got the review from you that I've been so anxiously awaiting. HOW DO MY (you beat me by just minutes) PAFS SOUND?!?

7. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Hang on then, gonna record that PAF guitar (have it here with me) on the 11R and post it on the 11R thread in the ToneFreaks section.

Will PM once it's done so that you can hear it.

Also, you can find it already there in the same thread, in the "All Right Now" musical piece I posted there. Please give it a listen!

Fil :)

EDIT here it is for ya :D

SoundClick artist: SoloDallas - page with MP3 music downloads[/QUOTE]

8. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Sorry mate I had missed this part.

I do believe you, naturally. I really do.

I'm telling you, it's not my point to compare the two - not yet, not until I could try one myself at least - I'm just posting my impressions on the Rack AND noting that very few really credible Axe-Plexi tests have been done and the ones I heard, I didn't like.

I just went thru' those you submitted, but they're all on clean mode (at least, the ones I looked on top of the fist page).

Clean is relatively easy, and more so with a Strato, mate.
    I can tell you I could (MAYBE!) easily try and replicate that on the 11R with matching results.

It's the crunch (PLEXI) Marshall department that gets more difficult. Overtones, speakers reaction, amp reaction, etc.
    Those cleans - although qualitative indeed - don't impress me.

Plus, the amp being used to compare is a JTM45 reissue.
    I have had a couple (real) reissues, one real, 1967 (I think) one from Eric Johnson and now, a brand new Metro (Metropulous) clone built for me by Geroge Metropulous himself, after Angus Young's tone.

The Metro is coming to me as we speak, so I will be able to perform more tests.

What I was saying above is that it is known that JTM45 reissues from Marshall are quite crappy mate.

I know, I sound like I'm never happy, but mine has been a looong journey into vintage equipment for so many years. I am not easily satisfied...

What I need to have would be a comparison with a vintage, great head, in case (AND cabinet, which adds 50% of the tone at least).

On a final note, I hear you when you say it's not much the tone but the FEEL that strikes you.
    On par with what you are stating, I can tell you that the 11R is hitting me with unsuspected feel as well as I play the notes.
    That last file of clean/crunch guitar is - I think, humbly - a further step on my behalf to demonstrate my belief in this: different dynamics with different guitar volume levels AND playing dynamics (playing with a plectrum, soft and hard).

9. BrianGT

BrianGT Senior Member

Fil, that clip is awesome! Tone, dynamics, expression......and did I say TONE?!:thumb:

I can't "feel the feel" in those clips but I can hear it!!:D My ears are still good!:shock:

10. 3rdstone

3rdstone Senior Member

Well, you are certainly correct on that my friend, as I have been searching for such clips for months!

Dallas, your playing on the long clip you posted was really very good (I believe it was titled "Angus") and I heard no traces of "fizz" (as they call it now) typical of modelers in general, so kudo's to you, sir :thumb:

But really, is there an unspoken law, that prohibits Axe-FX users from posting dry, un-effected plexi tones to the net?

Just wondering:hmm: Steve

11. BrianGT

BrianGT Senior Member

My thoughts exactly! That goes for the Eleven too!

All the clips on Youtube make both units sound like rack gear, just as I remember it the first time round, and I want it to sound like an amp. You don't have to have chorus on a clean sound!!

That's why to me , Solo's clips are outstanding........they sound not just like an amp but a GREAT amp!

12. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Maybe - I say maybe - it's the fact that Plexis have always been hard to play. Even harder on modelers, as they can get stiff as heck and hurt your fingers in the attempt at squeezing them.
    Many folks - nowadays (here's the old fart in me) - tend to like easier amps. The ones that play by themselves, more often (gain stages) etc. As your fingers approach the fretboard - there and then - you already start hearing a sound coming from the guitar :D

But this is surely a negative interpretation :p

13. 3rdstone

3rdstone Senior Member

Well, I guess we have our first (that I have heard) Plexi clips out of the Eleven anyway :applause:, that are "un-effected".

That being said, I'm not forgetting that the mic'ing is still there on these clips
    and that the u67 is a (virtual) tube mic with it's own characteristics, but still, any Axe clips of the same sort would be greatly appreciated. :fingersx:

All this from some guy sitting on the sidelines, who owns neither of these units :shock: "Oh the nerve!" :naughty::D

Cheers, Steve

P.S. BTW Solo, hope that Metro turns out good for ya, heck those guys are a stones-throw down I-75 from me. :cool:

14. Kemper59

Kemper59 Senior Member

I agree completely...a perfect example of the Axe failing when it comes to rhythm distortion...listen to the digital harmonic mess on the muted sections.

15. Kemper59

Kemper59 Senior Member

All these Axe clean tone clips are irrelevant, most modellers can do the clean thing very very well...it's the rhythm distortion where the Axe fails...IMO.

16. River

River Senior Member

The Axe or the operators? :hmm:

If I'd made that clip above, I'd not have posted it in public. I believe even a "lesser" modeler can do better than that.

17. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

River has a point.
    What I mean by this is that, especially with the modelers, one has to dig both instrumentally and a bit technically - too - in order to get some results.

With a real amp, it could be a little easier - with a good, real amp, provided one can record decently - as the amp sound like itself, it's got its own tone and that's that.

Modelers require some further digging.
    Basically, you have to know what you're doing and what you are looking for.

This is to me in fact a bit of frightening regarding the Axe FX.
    It's a complex machine, from what I gather, and it's a known fact that the presets sounds are not good.
    Which thing worries me, and I can't digest it to the point of definitive "trust".

Why - after a while that it has been on the market - not provide the new issues with great quality tones, once these have been made available - if really so - by many, as it is claimed by the Axr FX community?

Especially with a complex machine, why not do it?

There's a few questions about the Axe that I can't see/find answered which thing makes me suspicious. Not maliciously, naturally.

I just hope to be able to try one in person one day.
    Right now I'm not in a hurry, since I have a new toy to play with.

18. River

River Senior Member

Solo, how much experience have you had with a POD X3? I maintain the Lincoln Brewsters and SoloDallas's of the world can make them sound WAY better than 99% of the shared patches and YouTube videos out there. You have to know what you're doing and, more importantly, know what you're looking for - not just twiddle until you stumble into something you like. I believe it's much more that which makes them unsuitable for many folks than inadequacies of the hard/software systems themselves.

If I don't just go for an Eleven Rack, I may look into that EQ matching software you discovered. That has the potential, if I understand it correctly, to make up for my lack of skill with the POD and understanding of what I'm listening for.

19. relaxo

relaxo Senior Member

Do you judge hi-fi speakers by listening to clips recorded through 1mm digital camera mics as well? That is one of the most obviously hideous sounding clips ever recorded and you use that to judge? The Axe FX didn't fail, something else did.

20. relaxo

relaxo Senior Member

I totally agree with you but most of the clean lovers say the opposite, distortion is easy but cleans no one can get...it's what you have an ear for...it's what you're tuned into.