Ultimate Fractal Audio Axe-FX Users Coming Out of the Closet Thread

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by relaxo, Apr 12, 2010.

1. 3rdstone

3rdstone Senior Member

Yea, I just posted this late last night because I had it laying around, and thought it was cool because you can listen to something rather than reading someone's take on it. Good ear, if you can indeed tell (much) difference Brian, I'll have to dig out the headphones after work and give 'em another listen.

Cheers, Steve

Edit:
    After listening again with my headphones on, I can hear a little difference between the two, my big question is: how do these impulse response (IR's) deal with the very real (physical) world of driver compression when driven hard??? :hmm:

2. BrianGT

BrianGT Senior Member

I don't know about a good ear so much but my computer is connected to my old Hi-fi system and it's quite a good one!!:laugh2:

It really does show you how close they have got to the real amp, having said that, for me I just wnat a great guitar sound and I don't care what amp emulation is used as long as it sounds like my idea of a good sound!

Cheers for that link.....really good tones!:thumb:

Dilemna time!! :fingersx:

3. River

River Senior Member

What's the price difference where you are, Brian?

4. nakleh

nakleh Senior Member

Hey Relaxo, are you using it with a power amp of sorts? or recording direct out of it?

i am wondering if I can use this thing alone, or if I MUST get a power amp to get a good sound out of it? Can I just run the Fractal direct into a speaker cabinet without any power amp?

5. BrianGT

BrianGT Senior Member

Quite embarrasing! Axe FX is £1,999 retail and the Eleven is £799 retail.

I am sure both can be had for less on the street but the difference is staggering!

Having heard Solo's AC/DC track the Eleven is going to be the winner for me......plus the user interface is so simple on the Eleven.

6. 3rdstone

3rdstone Senior Member

Since Relaxo is currently AWOL:D (just kidding Re) I'll answer some of your question. First of all, I have no idea how Relaxo is running his rig, NOMFBid'ness, But I do know this, the Axe-FX is not self powered, and you would have to have a power amp to hear it in a live type situation. That being said, you could definitely record straight from it using the cab/driver/mic simulations (these sims are by far the best I have ever heard).And you can even import your own, as well as change tone stacks to suit your tastes...:shock:

The way folks are using the Axe-FX in live situations are #1 Using it without the cab/driver/mic sims, and then using a power amp to amplify into their favorite guitar cabs/speakers.

Or #2 Using the cab/speaker/mic(s) simulations into a power amp, then, into a full range/flat response (FRFR) cabinet.

Hope I am not mistaken on any of these (specific) scenarios, as there are numerous other ways to run this thing. and I hope this clears things up a bit.

Cheers, Steve

Edit:

If you want... Community: Fractal Audio Axe-Fx...made me sell my... more agonizing/drama/converts over there :wow: Been going on for over a year, and I read the whole eye bleedin' thing. :rolleyes:

7. Kemper59

Kemper59 Senior Member

Any new clips?

8. 3rdstone

3rdstone Senior Member

Clips galore here:Fractal Audio Systems • View topic - Sound Clip Favorites that is, until they said "no covers" then the thread quickly evaporates.

That doesn't surprise me, because after all, that is what a lot of folks are looking for: comparisons to their favorites, whatever favorite that may be. Especially if your just doing research, before you drop $2K on something...

Cheers, Steve

9. relaxo

relaxo Senior Member

Sounds like you need to look into new instruments and amps yourself if you've never had an instrument or amp that makes you WANT to get out of bed early to go plug in for damn near "24/7." It happens and when it does, it's the next best thing to hangin' with God.

Wow, not many products get associated with God very often. The Axe FX must be something unique then, don't you think? Soon, God is going to make Axe FXs that are 40x greater than this one and after that 4 million times greater. Luckily, the Axe-FX v1 has God's fingerprint on it too though.

10. relaxo

relaxo Senior Member

You wanna know what AWOL is?!? Crete, Greece. If the lifestyle doesn't hook you the Ouzo will. Just got back. Highly recommended.

I'm a studio guy, not a stage guy. See the big speakers in my studio link below?...that’s what I play through.

This thread link below has my signal chain for playing and recording. Keep reading...it’s a massive Axe FX thread done by the studio cats. When great rock engineers come in and hear the Axe FX for the first time, they usually say very little and just begin using it on final album cd tracks.

AXE-FX Ultra - Page 6 - Gearslutz.com

I have tried the Axe FX through my Randall RT2/50 and was very pleased as well ...my neighbors weren’t however:rock:

Until I start playing with IRs I feel that I’ve said all I can say in multiple threads on multiple forums. Here’s yet another thread:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/ton...r-you-can-sell-your-amps-fx-i-am-serious.html

Axe-FX... even more than the sound, it's the feel. You'll never "get it" until you play through it. Eleven is certainly in no league with Axe FX.

11. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

Yeah. I've asked for clips of YOU playing through your AxeFx many times. Still no clips. You have a studio. Is this a problem? I don't want to hear the clips from the site (I already listened to them), I want to hear a regular guy playing through the thing.

I've posted many clips of the things I've used. Who cares if my playing isn't that good? I posted them so anyone thinking of getting what I was using could hear what it sounds like. Most of the stuff I post is basic without garnishing so you can hear the stripped down item and decide what it's gonna sound like when you add things like reverb or chorus.

I asked you to pick the best settings and post a clip or two. Where's the bloody clips?

I thought I was going to get a chance to borrow one and make my own clips but that turned into a no go. However, if you want to hear clips of IR comparisons, TC Nova System direct into my iMac and through an amp, Tom Holmes pickups in a '94 PRS, Skatterbrane Earthbrane pickups in a '77LP, Obscene amp from Ahmet Becene, Guytronics low watt kit amp, Guitar Rig 4, Martin acoustic guitar, humbucker pickup magnet swap and flip, Guitar Rig 3, PRS McCarty P-90s (Haters Step) and SD Jimmy Page pickups (Project One and Two) in a '77LP, you can find them on my SoundClick page.

12. relaxo

relaxo Senior Member

I will make clips, but making clips is not a priority with the thousands out there already and businesses to run and a baby. Sorry, but it's the last thing on my mind this year. I'm in Europe all summer anyway.

13. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

Oh, I see.

14. relaxo

relaxo Senior Member

All I have here in the UK is a midi guitar. Wanna hear that right now? Ok, here goes:

0A 0F 14 19 1E 23 28 2D 72 00 76 34 3C 54 42 19 46 0C 33 3C 0C 00 0E 1B 46 60 58 31 46 61 58 31 00 7F 14 4E 37 6C 74 13 00 40 31 00 30 0C 0A 18 56 02 27 60 0B 60 00 63 46 61 0B 00 00 63 46 61 0B 00 00 63 46 01 18 55 22 01 0C 7F 71 31 00 1F 00 63 00 63 08 60 18 00 60 58 07 60 18 1E 00 00 0A 14 1E 28 32 3C 46 50 5A 64 01 0C 2D 15 29 05 36 0C 19 66 78 18 00 1C 36 0C 41 31 63 0C 43 31 63 00 7E 29 1C 6F 58 00 01 02 00 63 00 60 18 14 30 2C 05 4E 40 17 40 01 46 0D 43 17 00 00 46 0D 43 17 00 00 46 0D 03 30 2A 45 02 18 7E 63 63 00 3E 00 46 01 46 11 40 31 00 40 31 0F 40 71 3D 00 00 14 28 3C 50 64 78 0C 21 35 49 03 58 4C 71

Rock and Roll!! :rock:

15. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

Thank God one of my friends bought one about 3 weeks ago because i wanted to hear what all the hype was about and yes it sounds pristine, sharp, warm etc.

Fx are extremely well made.

But still did not sounded better then my guitar simulators in my computer and this was a biggie for me. Its very much expensive, but worth every dollar, but i can do the same and much more with my laptop and my midi pedalboard.

And one thing for sure, not my laptop or the Axe Fx can really reproduce the sound of a real tube amp.

Still i recommend it if you are playing lots of covers live, recording great guitar tracks where the band does not care for real amps and are ok with the sound and to the bedroom-home player.

16. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

And just for any one that really understands a tube, try Revalver.

That software has giving me more knowledge of tubes and there inner parts because it lets you tweak a tube, preamp or power section, its the best tube emulator ever, there is no other software that do this.

17. relaxo

relaxo Senior Member

nicolasrivera, something has gone wrong...you're results are not in line with other Axe FX users. Today's software amp sims are in no way in league with the Axe FX. If they were, stadium bands world be using Revalver..they're not, they're using one simulator - Axe FX. Guys would be selling they're $15,000 boutique amp collections off for Revalver...they're not, they're selling them off when they latch onto Axe FX... and by the hundreds.

Did you program your own amps-cabs in Axe FX? The factory ones really stink as a whole.

BTW, you can really program up your tubes massively in Axe FX...you didn't mention that about Axe FX when you mentioned that about Revalver. I guess you didn't go to that page. I recommend you borrow Axe FX for a few more days.

This I agree with... there is still a clear difference between Axe FX and real tube amps. I've owned tons of tube amps and OVERALL I enjoy playing and the sound of Axe FX more than those classic amps. It's a personal thing. But to compare Revalver, a middle of the road PC sim, with Axe FX shows comparison errors were made somewhere I feel.

18. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Been looking for a decent "Plexi" tone off of the Axe, but it can't be found on the net.
    There were a couple of JTM45 attempts around but either they were played not inspiringly or its tone simply didn't cut it for me.

I have played several ones on the 11R thread, here's one here for reference:

SoundClick artist: SoloDallas - page with MP3 music downloads

Being a Plexi nut myself, I like this one.
    If I could only hear someone doing something similar to this - filthy rock 'n' roll I mean - I'd be content and might think about an Axe FX too.

I've been reading about the Axe, and while it could be interesting, its interface, visual design and lack of high end software interface (that 11R has it as a bundle) put me down.

Been playing with the 11R for a week and I'm loving it. It makes me want to go to it and play it.
    I'm that kind of guy that HAS to get quick results soon. In terms of plug, fiddle and play or I'll kick it aside.
    The good if not excellent design of the 11R just lets me do it so much that I could dial in my own patches in minutes. I mean patches I was able to record with in terms of - again - minutes on ProTools (via a good functioning 11R software interface embedded in ProTools).

I'm not trying to imply it should sound better than the Axe - I have no idea - but what I heard from the sound clips didn't convince me not even for a second.
    I noticed that most Axe users are not rockers in the old fashioned way I feel about myself though. Maybe that is a factor too.

What also scares me, is that I just know a future iteration of this kind of thing will come out and will blow out of the water both the Axe and the 11R.
    But while I "Only" spent USD800 on the 11R and its obsolescence won't kill me, I couldn't stand it for a USD2k.
    The modeling world is evolving quickly and I intend to ride the wave all the way down.

I am a total modeling convert (though I still keep my Marshall/Metro heads and cabs) and I think we'll see more and more good stuff coming :)

19. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

I like that track. The ONLY critique I'd throw out there is that the recording volume is too high causing a lot of noise. The playing was very cool and the tone was great. Sounded like you were right there with an amp.

I hope someone out there rises to demo a few of their favorite AXE patches. Other than an hour or so at my buddies house, I STILL haven't heard any clips. I'm not counting the AXE site. I wanna hear from these guys on MLP.

20. SoloDallas

SoloDallas Senior Member

Yep my mistake :D
    I wasn't looking at the volume levels and it was blasting in my headphones (so I didn't hear that typical channel distortion noise).
    A good way to become deaf in such a short time.

You too keep on saying what most of us non- Axe owners are saying: I'd love to hear a Plexi (in my case) patch to make me drool.
    Something to really make us desire to have one and overcome the other factors I already mentioned above.
    It's not that I didn't go the its forums, it's that even there I haven't found anything that could change my mind.
    I realize I am an old time rocker and for me, it's files in the likes of the above posted that would move me.
    It's entirely possible that the Axe is moving other type of guitar players with different tastes (metal, for example).
    I can't bear metal.