Ultimate Fractal Audio Axe-FX Users Coming Out of the Closet Thread

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by relaxo, Apr 12, 2010.

1. relaxo

relaxo Senior Member

I've had an Axe-FX for two months now and it's changed my life. I can't stop playing guitar. I've learned so much. I know my tube sounds el84s 34s kt88, 66s etc etc (I tested 34 last year in my Emery Sound Superbaby), my pickups (I tested 20 last year), my speakers (I tested 15 last year), my amps (I tested 11 last year.) It is the best thing I have ever purchased in my life in the realm of guitars.

The Axe FX is wildly successful on so many different levels. Here's just four:

1) like any beautiful sounding instrument (especially one with good handling and response) you want to play for 5 hours every day...just because it sounds SOOOO good it's so inspiring. This is the Axe FX. I wake up and I can't wait to start playing...this has NEVER happened to me before in my life. This thing sounds so good and it moves like and amp and it has more note punch than any amp and the sustain singing at low volumes is wonderful.

2) Songwriting inspiration. When you write songs on a synth or sampler you have hundreds of totally different patches to chose from. Each patch leads you to play something TOTALLY different than the one before doesn't it? Same with the Axe FX. Same with patching in your phaser or going from crunch to heavy overdrive...you start playing something totally different. So you increment the patch wheel one notch and your playing through a whole new rig, in a different room, with different chains of effects.

3) The sounds are extremely accurate, usable on real albums and easy to get what's in your head. No rebiasing, no vibrations or rattles, no moving around a mic for 1/2 hour etc etc. THE AXE FX is EASY so it doesn't kill the vibe and the flow.

4) Having the AXE-FX is invaluable for learning and using because it has thousands of realistic amps simulations to compare side by side. It is NO DIFFERENT than having 40 amp heads, 40 speaker cabs and 400 effects boxes, all turned on and warmed up , with a programmed patchbay in front of you to switch these combinations at will every minute. Comparing instantly, side by side, is the best way to learn....to understand!

5) I'm a recording engineer and songwriter and only see it through those glasses...but so many people use this on stage and it opens up so many possibilities with benefits that I can't even begin to list here. Everyone seems to buy the Axe FX and rack it with a VHT 50 or 90 watt power amp. (Any of you live Axe FX closet users want to come out and tell us your stage tales?)

Now, it's NOT THE SAME as a real amp cab and mic...the Axe is punchier and has a slightly different quality, but every bit as good as a cab with a 57, 421 and Royer 121...the Axe FX is the most sweet sounding exciting amp I've ever played through...it just sings. I play for 5 hours straight sometimes and never get bored.

Will it cover *every possible base* perfectly when recording records...no...but it will cover a lot of ground and can certainly used be on final album tracks to be played on 100 million iPods 10,000 B&W Nautilus speakers. If it sounds good..it works...and the Axe FX works often. ...and for electric guitar songwriting, this is absolutely the way to go.

How is $1500 too much for an instrument that inspires you to play 24/7 and is the equivalent of 40 amp heads, 40 speaker cabs and 400 effects boxes, all turned on and warmed up. You can try the 14 day free trial of Fractal Audio System's Axe-FX.

This guy has demos:
    YouTube - samhillband's Channel (he's a shredder, but Axe FX does amazing full and shimmering cleans well too.)

By the way, it's not the sound of the Axe FX that kills most, it's how it feels under your fingers...a musical living beast. It is the best thing I have ever purchased in my life in the realm of guitars.

PS - If you worry the Axe FX might be anything at all even slightly related to software amp sims...well, you're dead wrong. The Axe FX is nothing like even the best amp sims...it has no rigidity and no sickly digital fuzz, like EVERY amp sim has. It's in another universe altogether. It's a $1500 digital rack mount box that has caused hundreds of boutique tube amp collectors to sell off their collections. (Digidesign Eleven, Amplitube,Guitar Rig 4, etc etc etc have caused zero boutique tube amp collectors to sell off their collections..cough cough.)

PPS - And no, I did not do a bunch of ****** just now nor do I work for Fractal Audio.

2. mrpesca

mrpesca Senior Member

Well you should, because that was one hell of a commercial.:laugh2:

3. eldiablo

eldiablo Senior Member

Congrats man... sounds like you found tonal bliss.:D
    I agree the Axe-fx is one Killer piece of gear.

4. ptgold

ptgold Senior Member

Ive had so much GAS for this for a long time....definitely getting one soon.

5. ASG

ASG Senior Member

Relax don't do it ......

6. fatb0t

fatb0t Senior Member

Stopppppppppppppp doing this to me, I want to try one out so badly. I wish I could find a place that carried them so I could demo it.

7. ASG

ASG Senior Member

When you want to go to it

8. Kemper59

Kemper59 Senior Member

I love the Axe-Fx threads, especially when the new owner claims it can nail every tube amp tone imaginable and it's the greaetst thing since sliced bread.

Then I ask to hear just one classic Marshall distorted tone, and in all the years not one has sounded even close.

so I'll ask again, please post a clip of a classic Marshall or hi gain Marshall tone.

Even the clean tones, you can get great clean tones from a $80 Vox Tonelab desktop model...just as good as the Axe clean tones.

IMO, it doesn't sound like a well mic'd tube amp, and it never will.

9. Kemper59

Kemper59 Senior Member

It takes 3 months to write your own patches, will the music store allow you to demo it for 3 months? :)

10. relaxo

relaxo Senior Member

Why does it need to sound exactly like that?

11. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

I understand what he seems to be saying. Can we hear a demo of what you think is the best sound from the Fractal? I played on one of those last night. Sounded pretty good but the guy only had seven presets.

12. relaxo

relaxo Senior Member

There's thousands of demos online. I'm a songwriter and studio guru, not a session musician...so my playing isn't likely to impress you all. But I will post some stuff I like when I get a chance.

What people never get till they play one is the way it reacts to your playing...it's a really unique experience that leads to different playing and creativity...better obviously for most Axe FX users.

It's not the same as an traditional tube amp. It DOES have a different sound. So, let's be devil's advocate and say the Axe FX has a worse sound than a good tube amp. That's bad. But what if the player enjoys it more than a tube amp? Moreover, what if it leads him to higher creativity, prolific output and overall better playing and/or songwriting? How does it compare then to the better sounding tube amp?

BTW - This very minute, just as we speak, there's a metal band in my studio using my two Axe FXs...one in left speaker...the other right ...happy as kittens.

13. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

Good points there. I noticed, when I played on one last night, that the Fractal is responsive to pick attack. When you played harder it responded as such unlike some amp modelers.

You should post some clips. I do demos of all the stuff I try. My demos can be found on my SoundClick page. I am not a very good guitarist but you can hear what the stuff sounds like that I demo.

14. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

Oh, please, no metal...

15. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

My best friend just bought one of these and loves it. I'm not on the market for a $1500 - $2000 effects box, however programable it is, but if I was this one would definitely be on the list to check out. At least I can do that for free! :D

David

16. relaxo

relaxo Senior Member

It's only 1/4 effects box. It's mainly 1/2 amp/cabinets and 1/4 mic and mic pre

17. relaxo

relaxo Senior Member

Did you notice how much note punch it can have? Did you like it? I hope he had good patches...with a lame patch it's unfortunately in league with software PC amp modelers.

18. Torren61

Torren61 Senior Member

1/4 + 1/4 + 1/2 = 2. Oh wait, that's not 2. Never mind. Yes, I liked the note punch but I'm a guitar hack. Gimme some clips.

19. tony93666

tony93666 Senior Member

I hate these same old "tube vs. anything else" arguments... and their bastard descendant "AxeFX vs. any other modeling gear"...

best/ good/ smooth/ responsive/ warm/ gritty, and the absolute most hated & completely meaningless chewy :rolleyes:

Nearly EVERYTHING about music(and life) is just so completely subjective that nothing happens in these exchanges but more and more annoyance... and boredom.

BB King has tone to die for! Well, not if you're trying out for guitar duties with Behemoth. And vice-versa...

'Up' here in Massachusetts is a completely different direction than for someone in Australia.

just play yer !@#$%^& guitar

20. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

Amen! :thumb: