Ultimate does wood make a difference to tone video

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Bandols, May 1, 2015.

1. Ermghoti

Ermghoti Senior Member

2. Ermghoti

Ermghoti Senior Member

We can reliably hear the difference between hot and cold water , why is it so hard to grasp that we can hear the effect of resonance and damping of body composition in a vibrating guitar string?

3. HogmanA

HogmanA Senior Member

Nope, because we can see the steam which influences what we hear:h5:
    (Really, I like that - wish I'd thought of it!)

Great video as well, cheers for making these. I particularly liked the fact that there are more than one difference evident - the attack, and the body of the note too (which is really evident at the very end when the chords ring on).

4. red_bull

red_bull Senior Member

the tonewoodies can claim all they want, but at the end of the day the best sounding guitars have the best pickups. A $300 plywood MIC with real PAFs, will sound better to most ears than a real LP made from the finest mahogany body / stunning reverse chevron maple cap, equipped with crappy MIC pups

5. Wrench66

Wrench66 Senior Member

I think the claim was that wood will impact the amplified tone of an electric guitar and that claim has been supported by several videos out there including the ones in this thread.

If a cheap plywood guitar will do it for you, then I would consider you a very fortunate person. I mean you won't have to waste all that money on solid wood guitars and such. That sounds like a smart ass thing to say, but I'm serious. Many of the people I jam with on occasion play sub $300 guitars and are totally happy. They are decent players and while their tone isn't what I strive for, they sound good.

6. Bandols

Bandols Senior Member

Can I just say how happy I am that this train wreck of a conversation is still going months after having not even checked up on it.

7. TKOjams

TKOjams Senior Member

Well, it is the internet. LOL

2 people like this.
  8. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

When they are incapable of addressing the core issue, deflection, distraction, defamation and invalidation of the message bearer are the sad tactics used to compensate.

Thank you for all your time, effort and passion in devoting a chunk of your life and resources to this test.

Kudos!
    :cheers2:

1 person likes this.
  9. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

The bipolarization of this topic is the reason why I had stopped to contribute but let's try to tell "my" truth a last time.

Honestly, I don't see "tonewoodies" who "claim" anything here...

All I see personally is musicians who have a defined subjective experience and who discuss about their findings.

These findings are logically different according to the personal, cultural and musical context involved.

How the heck Paul Stanley, who plays though cranked 100w stacks, could "hear" guitars in the same way than a jazz musician playing subtle parts at bedroom level? How could they avoid to "disagree" about the importance of acoustic parameters ?

No reason to fight, really... unless the real goal of such a topic is to suscribe to a "camp" and to make it "win" as if it was a football team, of course.:thumb:

When I've discovered electric guitars, 36 years ago, the cheapest instruments available were made of soft plywood, looking and sounding like pieces of cardboard. A P.A.F. in such an instrument would have produced an extremely simple "tone": PLONK (then no sustain).:applause:

Nowadays, it's different. My current cheapest axe is a Harley Benton Strat kit that I've paid 68 Euros and changed in a test guitar : I've dug a hole through its body, in order to change its bridge pickup on request (!)

It sounds more than good for such a crappy tinkering - even if its hollowed basswood body resonates differently than when it was intact and even if the same pickups don't sound identically in this guitar than in other instruments with the same structure...
    But I won't struggle about this statement: I'm just stating once again a small excerpt of my own humble experience and I'm really NOT trying to fuel the fire - since obviously, (tone) wood doesn't need my help to feed automatically stupid flames. :laugh2:

TKOJams, I wanna thank you for your vids, that I find extremely well done and useful. :)

5 people like this.
  10. Alty

Alty Senior Member

*Transcribed from "Gibson Electrics - A.R. Duchossoir (From the origins up to 1961) for educational purposes. (Copyright: Andre Duchossoir 1981).

....at the end of the day, does it matter!

1 person likes this.
  11. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

My Wife says wood does make a difference [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. TKOjams

TKOjams Senior Member

and you can claim what you want...how about some tests, or videos to prove your theory. :hmm:

2 people like this.
  13. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

I can't believe this has gone on 17 pages long .
    I glance through it & I will add that wood density is a major importance in tone Probably more than species .
    Lighter weight woods tend to have a Airy/ warmer/mellow tone that has a little less sustain than a heavy guitar solid guitar . THIS IS NOT JUST less SUSTAIN .or pickups
    They tend to not cut through the mix the same as a solid heavier guitar & have a more of a raunchy/mushy tone .
    As a pickup winder I treat Light weight guitars almost like chambered guitars . when I get inquires about pickups for lightweight guitars I usually compensate the wind most times to give it a more focused tone which usually is desired .
    I've done this for years in my own personal guitars . I own several tele's & 2 thinline tele's & to get my desired tone from the thinlines I have to compensate the wind quite a bit to even get to sound even close to my solid body tele's . lighter woods need a tighter more focused pickups if you want them to sound similar to a alder body tele

14. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

Yes, the wood shapes/colors the tone. :thumb:

15. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

Not if its 'a good one'. :D For example, a great Les Paul with a great set of PAFS, played through a great amp, that has the ability to capture all the little nuances, as expensive as this is and perhaps a big part of the reason for so much descent, on this thread, (i don't like that part either-but it is what it is) can make all the difference in the world, pending on your playing style and personal tone preferences. (I don't like 'simulated sounds' and you cant make me :laugh2:)

Natural compression, note bloom, double tones, how the strings react to the vibrations of the different woods, how they don't react ( a silent note/rest, is just as important in music) ALL of these things are heavily influenced and a direct result of the wood(s), as well as; all the other combined elements, of a solid body geetar, as a whole. This is not really even debatable, really, am I missing something?

Guitar makers, chose woods for specific reasons- cost, availability, as well as; there tonal properties. EQing the voice of the guitar and so on. To oversimplify a bit, its like making a sandwich or cooking a great meal or like that 'easy cheesy' cake analogy, comparing the taste of pure salt or sugar (its a recipe/formula)

Why did the industry, go back to woods of the golden era?- Because the market demanded it. Why are all the McDonald's now empty? Why are they, now, as we speak, scrambling to find a way, to add a 'organic grass fed burger' to there line up- and still turn a profit ? Because the market is DEMANDING them to do so.

16. homenote

homenote V.I.P. Member

:shock:

So 'guitar players' are some how ignorant and gullible? :wtf:

Nice 'drive by' post, by the way. :wave:

You have, all of this, completely backwards. They work for us. We (the players) have the final say and are the 'proof in the pudding'.
    Unit sales/sold reports (with the used market, offering a even better understanding- and opportunity, for a scoped perspective) are all the "scientific evidence" that you need. Call accounting for your "AB test" or "controlled study"! :dunno:

Furthermore; I would hallucinate, that the people that reinvest, there own BILLIONS of dollars, every quarter, year in and year out, prolly have had there 'product development' departments run a test or two, by now. Call me crazy, for making such a leap of faith, on this wild assumption.

Hey guys, unless you believe, the argument posted above, that guitar salesman are the best salesman in the world (ever been to GC?), selling to the stupidest customers on the planet, one can easily conclude, that wood matters, on a solid body, electric, geetar.

Are peer review medical journals written by doctors (the players) or the makers (drug companies)? Ill take the word of an expert(or better yet, I'll observe there behavior/what are they hanging on to and using?) in a field, that is working, out in the trenches- and combine it with my own experience, as proof enough. (This isn't rocket science, guys)

The players are the experts/doctors/end user not the other way around. The players are the best people IMHO, to make conclusions on what works or not in the field (Stage or Studio). I like the way the one guy said it "don't throw the baby out with the bath water."

Just because things get hyped and used in sales pitches, doesn't make it all not true, guys. They are basing there hyped claims on something (the players/expert peer reviews) that they know will resonate with the buyers (pun) based on popular belief (the belief is 'popular' for a reason!!!). So, its all true, but you need to simply try before you buy, to make sure you are getting what you pay for. Make sense? freak'n duh! :laugh2:

You see, the challenge I have with the opposition on this :)hmm:debate) thread, is that for them to be right everyone else has to be wrong.

Its a 'giant conspiracy' and we have all been somehow brainwashed, by the cleaver guitar makers and the (completely clueless) kid down the road at my local GC! Really? That's what yer going with.. urm, OK! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

A good solid body guitar is a good solid body guitar- and a great one is a great one, success leaves clues- and of course 'wood makes a difference in tone'. :thumb:

17. red_bull

red_bull Senior Member

18. screamingdaisy

screamingdaisy Senior Member

Have any of the "wood doesn't matter" crowd figured out why an SG, Les Paul and 335 sound different yet?

Or are they still avoiding it because it's inconvenient to their argument?

19. Fogboundturtle

Fogboundturtle Senior Member

Guitar scale, pickups, nuts, bridges, pots and caps are the reason why they sound different not wood If you knew anything about electronic tolerance , you would understand why two guitars of the same manufacturers made of the same wood sounds different. Hint : it's not the wood, it's the electronic.

I don't want to fuel the debate but musician are as gullible as the one who believes in god and religions. Buy a instrument for it's beauty, quality of the craftsmanship, quality of the electronics and parts but don't think wood makes a difference, it doesn't. The vibration of the wood is not pickup and pass back to the string. The guitar pickup do not amplify that signal. That's just BS.

20. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Lol, talk about BS. The pickups will *pick up* the string vibrations. Those vibrations are affected by every single aspect of the guitar, including the wood.