Ukulele

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by NewDayHappy, Feb 28, 2018.

1. NewDayHappy

NewDayHappy Senior Member

Anyone else play? I've had mine for a day and the transition from guitar to the uke has been painless. I'm still learning but regular guitar skills carry over quite well. I like it, very upbeat and positive sounding, a lot different than the darker stuff I play on guitar. I played for 10 hours today, not bad for a $100 investment. Would strongly consider buying a $500+ one in the future, but honestly my Cordoba 15CM plays and feels like a solid instrument, I honestly had low expectations going into this, I thought it would be a toy.

Frogfur, JonCanfield and Slater529 like this.
  2. Slater529

Slater529 Premium Member

I LOVE my Uke! I had wanted one forever and finally broke down and bought one about 2 years ago. I started with an Eastman concert size, but I soon realized I should have gone with a tenor instead. So I sold the Eastman and bought a KoAloha tenor.

The KoAloha is superb. New, they were a little more than I wanted to spend, but I found one in mint condition with case for $600 and I jumped on it. Money well spent. Sounds incredible and it's NOT a toy!

JonCanfield, NewDayHappy and paruwi like this.
  3. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

[​IMG]

NewDayHappy, paruwi and Slater529 like this.
  4. Slater529

Slater529 Premium Member

5. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

I still try to play....

[​IMG]

6. Wailing

Wailing Senior Member

Here is my Uke :cheers: PA140004.jpg

7. Slater529

Slater529 Premium Member

Here's mine:

KoalohaTenorUkeF.jpg

8. dennis g

dennis g Senior Member

Bought one after a Sunday jam at a dinner party we were at a few years ago (me on guitar, a very accomplished piano player, and a guy with a uke). Ton of fun. One G Harrison was a huge uke fan, and as the old saying goes "It's hard to be in a bad mood when you have a ukelele in your hands."

If you've ever even thought about it, DO IT! You won't regret it.

9. space

space Senior Member

Luv The Uke

JonCanfield, NewDayHappy and DagerOne like this.
  10. mdittman

mdittman Member

After seeing Tiny Tim again it reminded me how much I loved his version of Stairway to Heaven. I was driving when I heard it the first time any literally had to pull over I was laughing so hard. Great backing band (Brave Combo) by the way.

11. Pennyman

Pennyman Senior Member

Loving the uke. Been playing almost nothing but for the past 4+ months. I picked up my jumbo acoustic last week and it felt like I was trying to wrap my arms around a pregnant rhino. Good times.

The spruce top is a Kala tenor, spalted maple back/sides. The more stripey one is a Flight (based out of Slovenia!), concert-size, mango wood. Both are great in their own ways; the Flight had some teething issues with somewhat sharp nut corners and high action, but I took care of those problems and now it plays great. The Kala has a way of ringing out unintended harmonics which really accentuate the overall sound. it's like it's playing notes that aren't there.

IMG_6343.JPG IMG_6344.JPG IMG_6345.jpg

Still need to get a soprano to round out the "family..."

Spotify has taken me down a very interesting rabbit-hole of uke tunes. Hit me up if you're looking for some inspiration.

Since we're talking about ukes, what are you all using for strings? I strung the mango concert with some D'Addarios ProArte Titanium (mostly translucent with a slight purplish tint). IMO, they sound a lot better than the Aquilas with which it was strung originally. Need to get a set for the tenor, will report back when I get 'er done.

NewDayHappy and JonCanfield like this.
  12. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

13. Slater529

Slater529 Premium Member

PhD Tenor Low G

14. BBC

BBC Senior Member

60's Martin Baritone, mess with it some. DSCF5310 (3).JPG

Pennyman and JonCanfield like this.
  15. Stone Free

Stone Free Member

My first real Uke was a Fender (first pic), but I found a great looking one in Honolulu a few years ago. SharkUke.jpg spalted uke.png

Pennyman, JonCanfield and NewDayHappy like this.
  16. NewDayHappy

Well, I finally figured out how to change the strings on an ukulele. A week ago I tried changing them and I didn't do it right, 2 strings broke on me, my ukulele sat unplayed for 4-5 days. :(

Did it right today though! I can finally play my uke again, rejoice! :)

Stone Free likes this.
  17. NewDayHappy

That's a nice top. I could see myself buying a high end ukulele, I've been playing for less than 2 weeks and I know it's something I want to do for the rest of my life.

Stone Free, JonCanfield and Pennyman like this.
  18. Pennyman

Pennyman Senior Member

Somewhat long-ish story coming up...

At the school I teach at, I was involved with a community choir for the past year-and-a-half. When it became known that our music teacher(s) and choir leader (and support) were leaving, people started to look to me to take it over.

I declined, and someone else stepped into the role.

After a few months, it was announced that the then-current leader was also going to leave the group. Again, people looked to me.

I have no idea how to lead a choir, so I suggested re-forming as a "ukulele chorus."

The response was very positive.

We've been together since mid-January. From an initial "interest" of 30+ people, I currently have 24 members. (I was expecting maybe somewhere between 12~18...)

It's not all roses and sunshine, though. We meet once a week; a majority of people come late, others have missed 2, 3 weeks. "Home Practice" seems to be an entirely alien, non-Earthly phrase for some people.

(I keep hearing the phrase, "I was practicing on the weekend..." Umm.... yeah, I know we're all busy and whatnot, but practicing for 10-20 minutes a week, plus our one-hour [or less] weekly session just ain't gonna cut it, sister...)

To be fair, we're all adults, and some (most) have never played a musical instrument before. Let alone playing; keeping a beat; strumming rhythmically - AND singing. All at once.

It's really a lot to handle. We as "musicians" tend to take that for granted. Of this, I am reminded weekly.

Anyway. We have a date set for our first performance (June 9). It's intended to be a kind of "soft launch", so if we can get even 5 or 6 songs together by then, I'd consider it a success.

Will keep you updated...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    paruwi, JonCanfield and NewDayHappy like this.
  19. NewDayHappy

As far as practice is concerned, my ukulele sits right next to me on the couch, perfect for when you don't want to fire your amp up and deal with cords etc. Seems to me what was supposed to be a 5 minute jam on my ukulele turns into hours. Really happy instrument, I barely even play guitar half the time, but I'm still in the honeymoon phase. I'd like to get keyboards next, then congas.

20. JonCanfield

JonCanfield Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I love my uke! I had a very old, and very cheap one I inherited from my great grand mother. Friction tuners that have no friction, and really not worth trying to fix, but I hang on to it for sentimental reasons. A couple of years ago while in Hawaii, I stopped in a store and picked up a Kamoa concert size maple body/spruce top that has a really sweet sound. This one is strung low G.
    A year later, I splurged and got a Kanilea koa tenor that I'm in love with. I'm a sucker for koa anyway, and this has amazing grain. This one is in high G
    ukesfront.jpg

ukesback.jpg