U576 off the US coast

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Gooner, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Gooner

Gooner Senior Member

foxtrot, Caleb, kevinpaul and 3 others like this.
  2. jeff_farkas

jeff_farkas Senior Member

Thanks for sharing.

3. JTM45

JTM45 Platinum Supporter Premium Member

That was cool but heartbreaking, war sucks.

Loved the music

4. Laggspike

Laggspike Senior Member

yeah, its really heartbreaking :(

i remember when i was in a sub on display in a harbor where lived once, i was down there MAX 15 minutes, and i couldn't be there anymore..

"A floating tomb" was my thought about that sub..

also, it dosent help that i am afraid of depths :applause:

5. Gooner

Gooner Senior Member

There are some other vids on YouTube. These guys died trying to sink and kill merchant navy ships and their crews. The Cruel Sea.

6. Slater529

Slater529 Premium Member

Yeah, war sucks. But the Nazis in that sub got exactly what they deserved.

Sorry, I'm not heartbroken.

7. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

The War Dept. did absolutely nothing to protect shipping or the coastline. There were no black outs, brown outs were rare. They did not want to disrupt the status quo. The vast majority had no idea how close the them WWII really was. Far more tonnage was lost in the gulf and Atlantic coast than most people know about.

8. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Senior Member

The bad part is the empty seats. Rotten bastards, there is free parking at the ocean. They should have stacked them up.

9. Caleb

Caleb Senior Member

Call me callous, but screw those nazi bastards.

10. JimmyT

JimmyT Senior Member

They were conscripted men following orders, just like the allied forces. The Nazis were a political party, I doubt any of the young men on that boat were in Hitler's inner circle.

11. roeg

roeg Senior Member

^ This. My grandpa was in the Alpine troup division(ski troups).Early in the Barbarossa campaign(Russia) he got assigned to Lake Ladoga,north of Leningrad.Cold and snow...but they were one of the few that were initially well equipped for the cold...and survival in a sub-zero climate.

He was a soldier following orders,as were all of his buddies,not nazi's.

He was lucky as he was a great skier(and a skilled mountain climber).This skill kept him out of the main battle front,and got him re-assigned to the Italian Alps under General Kesselring towards the end of the war,to confront the allied push through the alps up from Italy,which never came, as the war ended.The assignment also saved his life,as he never saw any real battle after Russia,thank god.

12. Olds442

Olds442 Senior Member

screen doors seemed like a good idea at the time.

13. Laggspike

Laggspike Senior Member

reminds me about a interview of an old WWII vet.

They were pinned down in a forest, they shoot at them, and the nazis shot back.

he simply said "if the war had stopped there, they most likely could walk over and say hello, without being shot. they were following orders, as were we."

i find it heartbreaking that people had to do stuff like that :/

i hate wars..

14. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

Those "civilian merchant ships" were carrying fuel, parts and raw materials for the war effort, it's not like they were carrying puppies and kittens. Legitimate military targets, in other words.

And, as mentioned above, not only were the sailors aboard mostly draftees, but by law they were forbidden to belong to any political party including the NSDAP

15. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

There is nothing sad about a dead U-boat crew. Much of their job was to sink merchant marine vessels with no ability to defend themselves. I wish we could have sunk them all (U-boats), earlier in the war. I understand that these merchant marine ships were part of the war effort but, that doesn't change my view on the fates of these crews. The guys at Auschwitz, Birkenau, Belzec, Bergen-Belsen and Buchenwald were all just following orders, too.

The morality of those acts is for the individual soldier to negotiate with his/her creator. As for other purveyors of terror, here's to hoping we can make those discussions occur sooner, rather than later.

16. JimmyT

JimmyT Senior Member

I can understand where you're coming from. Out of curiosity, how do you feel about US bomber pilots?

17. LPMarshall Hack

LPMarshall Hack Senior Member

We didn't start the war. Therefore, WE were the good guys.

18. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

Excellent question.

I find myself in an ambiguous position on that subject. prior to 1953, the way to win a war was to drive the opponent to their knees and accept their unconditional surrender. If they didn't proffer their unconditional surrender, you bomb the sh*t out of them (civilian and military targets, alike) until they offer it.

When killing civilians, you sure as sh*t want God (whichever one you chose) on your side (if you believe in such things). I believe, wholeheartedly, that America has been the greatest force for good, in the history of mankind. While I am heartbroken at the loss of every innocent life (American, German, Polish, Cambodian, Laotian, French, etc.), I also understand that the means to win a war are abhorrent. I guess we should be thankful that technology has enabled us to be more precise with our ordinance. However, I think that we, as a nation, have lost the will to win wars. It is a difficult task to take a life for one's cause. Our moral imperative is to ensure that we only do so when there is no other acceptable alternative (living under fascist or communist rule aren't acceptable alternatives, IMO).

I am thankful that I was not a pilot, dropping bombs on civilian populations. I would have great difficulty living with that knowledge.

19. Gooner

Gooner Senior Member

That is too simplistic, for those fighting, it was about survival. Strategically I have no problem with our bombing raids, including dropping the atom bomb, they had a significant impact and helped bring about the Allied victory. In a similar way those sailors were sinking ships to enable their side to win. Let's not get in to who was right or wrong, this relic of WW2 is a cenotaph and should be treated as a war grave.

20. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

I disagree. We were the good guys because, we were the good guys.

There is nothing wrong with being right or just. The fact of the matter is that war is hell and should only be waged when there is no alternative. However, when there is no alternative, may God bless the righteous and smite their foes.