Two goofy looking Elitist LP Customs = one awesome bargain

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by loisenberg, Sep 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. loisenberg

loisenberg Junior Member

I was massively impressed by a Elitist LP Standard I played 15 years ago and I've been on the lookout for a bargain-priced Elitist LP ever since. Today I was just cruising the web looking for cool gear for sale and stumbled onto this used listing on the Guitar Center website: Black Elite LP Custom.
    [​IMG]
    $500 for a Black Elitist LP Custom in great shape with a bunch of lame hardware swaps! I knew I was going buy it instantly, but first I wanted to see if there was any other cool bargains at the same Guitar Center location that I could pick up and combine shipping for extra savings. Turned out the black LP had a sister: White Elite LP Custom.
    [​IMG]
    WHAT???? Who does the world's lamest mods to not one but two Elitist LP Customs???

I had to buy them both for $500 each. And good old Guitar Center only charged $40 to ship both of them from California to Massachusetts.
    Now I'm on the hunt for some classic hardware to replace all the "personalized" crap. I kinda like the eyeball pick guard though...

2. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

I'd leave the white one as-is, if it sounds good.

3. ramaglia375

ramaglia375 Premium Member

Congrats

Pretty sure there was a 3rd one along with those 2. There was a thread recently discussing it.

paruwi likes this.
  4. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

The third one is here on the board, too
    [​IMG]

Did you see the crack in the neck on the white one ?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. loisenberg

loisenberg Junior Member

Wow! Awesome! Seeing all three together makes me feel a little more respect towards this modding project.

I did not know that there was a crack in the white one. Worst comes to worst, I can return it to my local GC.

Who likes this.
  6. Kong

Kong Senior Member

Great score - congrats!

7. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

I actually kind of like the white and blue one. It's interesting. Not a fan of the customizations of the ebony ones. I'd return them to stock accessories if I got them.

8. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

Congrats loisenberg,
    I was looking at the white one, but the crack had me worried. $499 is less than I paid for my Ebony Std.
    They are really nice guitars,.....and really tacky mods :facepalm:

9. Olympus Mons

Olympus Mons Senior Member

Congrats. I started a thread about these guitars awhile back. There was a 3rd, a wine red, which I bought and am very happy with it. I actually went back to the store today to see if they were still there and saw they were gone, I figured someone grabbed them and was hoping they would post them on here. I feel a little bad for breaking up the "family".

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Who and paruwi like this.
  10. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

I'm glad they use these Epiphones for radical mod testing, rather that Gibsons. But wait, how about the BFG or... ?

11. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

I don't see how the brand matters when it comes to these kinds of mods.

12. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Member

If the aesthetic part of the repair work on that white custom was done half assed, I'm wondering how well the functional part of the repair was done, if at all.

13. loisenberg

loisenberg Junior Member

I bought the black and white pauls. The black one is absolutely awesome and it will be my new main axe. Its in the shop right now for a set up with heavier strings.

I also took the white one to the shop and showed the the tech the crack around the neck joint. He said the crack is definitely a superficial finish check, no damage to the wood.

The black LP is enough for me. I want to get rid of the white one. Should I return it to guitar center and get my $500 back? Or should I sell the guitar myself, maybe replace the hardware with classic components? I'm kinda broke and want get as much money out of it as possible. I'm leaning towards returning it to GC because the neck could make it difficult to sell.

Any thoughts?

14. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Senior Member

Just return it to GC asap and get your money back. That's taken a hit to break the poly finish like that, I wouldn't be happy selling a broken guitar to someone and probably take you a while to sell it in that state plus you won't even make much on it unless you find some right mug. Save yourself all the hassle and use their return policy, you aren't happy buying it so no doubt the next buyer will have doubts about it too somewhere down the line.

15. loisenberg

loisenberg Junior Member

I agree, it will go back to GC. I trust my tech and if I preferred the white one over the black one, I'd keep the white one and make some money on the black one. But the black one is the winner. Thanks for your input Troy