Tweed 5E3- Amp settings, how do you like yours

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by ac/dcfan87, Dec 4, 2017.

1. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

Tweed Deluxe amp (5E3) owners come in!

How do you like to set your amp to get different tones?

As you all may know, the tweed 5E3 is a very simple design but one that yields a versatile array of tones if you use the controls to your advantage. To those that don't know how this amp operates, it can be very confusing and hard to find the exact tone you're looking for.

One of the ones I've heard a lot is the Marshall tone 10-10-10 setting. It works! Really well surprisingly. I was playing it earlier today and it eerie how much it sounded like a Marshall.

A good clean sound I find is the bright channel on about 2.5 and the unused normal channel at about 6.5 and tone anywhere from 8-10. Also, another good way is turn the bright volume to about 6-8 and the normal unused volume to 12, tone on 8-10. It has a similar amount of clean volume, but the way it responds is quite different.

I like to use the unused channel to load down the signal and clean it up. I also like to jumper the channels and come out of the normal channel. Gets a really fat sound and then dial the bright channel to bring the highs back in to taste.

I also like to dial back the tone pot on my bridge pickups to about 6.5-7 to cut some of the high end. This allows me to run the amp tone control higher than I would otherwise- which makes the tone sweeter.

Please share your tones and amp settings! Might give us all new some ideas.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  2. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Both volumes around 7, tone cranked, bridge pickup on a Les Paul, control amount of dirt with guitar's volume pot...

Happy Place.

ac/dcfan87 likes this.
  3. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

Nice! Thanks buddy, I'll try that. Interesting that you don't find it too bright with the tone pot cranked. Do you lower your guitar tone control when doing this?

4. scmglotr

scmglotr Junior Member

Depends if I'm running the amp by itself or with my Princeton reverb. If it's by itself I'll run into the bright volume and run it with the bright colors on about 7 and the normal volume on about 6 and the tone about 8 or 9. With a humbucker or p90 I get righteous classic rock and blues tones and with single coils I get a little cleaner and lean sound. Gain is adjusted by guitar selection and volume manipulation.
    If I'm running it with my Princeton reverb I run both amps at edge of breakup. So bright volume on 4 and normal volume on 11 and tone at 7. Princeton volume at 5. Glorious. I get why Mike campbell runs them together. They compliment each other so we'll. At these settings I use a combination of low to medium gain overdrives and there isn't a tone I can get.

ac/dcfan87 likes this.
  5. bridger

bridger Senior Member

For "sparkly" clean I plug into "bright" or instrument channel volume @3-4 with unused normal channel at 10, tone @9. Glorious cleans with a Telecaster, & a tiny bit of bite with P-90's.
    For dirt, Instrument (bright) channel at 3 or above, tone at 10, unused channel at zero & ride guitar volume to clean up.
    Incredibly responsive amp I must say.

ac/dcfan87 likes this.
  6. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

I pretty sure these amps don’t all respond exactly the same way. I built a 5e3 clone. For me, I was looking for less flabbiness in the bass and more headroom so I used a 12ay7 in V1. I am new to tweed Fenders, played Marshall for years and only use it in my living room. I have been really enjoying the chime of these old Fender designs.

I did try the 10-10-10 setting for the hell of it. A little to flabby sounding with my setup, could be that the speaker has something to do with it. I usually set mine this way; the bright channel on 4, the normal channel on 10 and the tone on 6 or 7 and plug into the bright channel. Turning down at the guitar, this amp is plenty loud but really sweet sounding. Turning up yields great grind and enough volume and bass response to shake the floor and piss people off.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    ac/dcfan87 likes this.
  7. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter Premium Member

On my 1960 Deluxe, I use a 12AY7 in the front end and plug into the high instrument input. I set the tone around 7 and the instrument volume between 3-9 depending upon how much crunch I want. I then dial up the mic input to tighten up the bottom and dial out the flub. Anything else I need comes from my guitar controls.

ac/dcfan87 likes this.
  8. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

Yeah these 5E3 all react VERY different. Even right down to the tubes and tube brand it will react very differently. The flubby bass is a common complaint about these amps and are even more prevalent in newer clones. If you build a new one exactly to the schematic, it won't sound as good as an old one. I think part of this is due to the higher voltages today versus back then. Also the components in the old ones tend to drift over time, maybe for the good maybe for the bad. It just depends on which one you get. Even the transformers used play a large role.

Definitely keep the 12AY7 in there. 12AX7 gives too much gain in this amp IMO and it will make it sound even flubbier in the bass. Speaker can make a big difference too. What speaker are you running?

9. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

Check out this video if you all haven't seen it.

It explains the three main components of achieving your tone with the 5E3.

1. Frequency response
    2. Overall gain/distortion
    3. Envelope of the waveform

I was gonna try to explain it but Ron does a way better job than I ever could.

Cjsinla likes this.
  10. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Speaker? The Jensen MOD 12-50, 50 watt speaker that came with the Tube Depot kit. I tried a Celestion greenback at one point. I couldn’t hear the difference but I also still had the 12ax7 in there, a different circuit board and did not know that the two channels interacted.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  11. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

Interesting. Could probably do with a better speaker but... hey. What's good is good. The 50W rating probably helps keep the bass in check a little bit.

I am using a Scumback M75 paper voice coil at 20 watts. Mine is a Mojotone kit that I bought off the Bay.

Do me a favor: don't ever do what I did. I got tired of the flubby uncontrollable bass and so I had the amp modded with lower coupling caps, which is a common mod that people suggest. Do not do this. It ruined the amp. It did remove a lot of the flabby low end but in the process neutered everything good about the amp.

Rather than going back to stock, I decided to send my amp to Ron, the guy who made the video posted above. Best decision I ever made. It turned it into a very special amp. That worked well for me for awhile, until I started having some issues with crackling. I sent it back to Ron to have it fixed... turned out the Mojotone OT had blown. So Ron replaced it with a vintage unit. Not the same vintage OTs that he sells in his amps, but a very old one. Sounds great and it made the amp compress a little earlier even and it made the highs a bit sweeter.

I've rolled a lot of tubes in this amp. This is an amp... that changes for the better with old tubes. It really does. I don't buy into a lot of the NOS hype, but for the 5E3 it really makes a huge difference. The circuit is so simple that small changes yield large results.

Now I am running old RCA 12AY7, old RCA 12AX7, old RCA rectifier, and old RCA 6V6GTAs. The power tubes make the biggest differences. Then the 12AY7. Then the 12AX7 last. The rectifier I don't think matters as much, as long as you get one with voltages like the old ones. The Sovtek 5Y3s have higher voltages. The only new 5Y3 with voltages comparable to the old ones are JJ afaik.

12. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Yeah, the most modding I would probably consider is speakers or tubes. I was thinking about replacing the trannies but the Tube Depot kit came with decent ones it turns out. My Weber tweed Super kit came with some cheap Chinese stuff so I did change those.

04D1812E-9D31-41AD-892F-4FA2DDD9CB52.jpeg

ac/dcfan87 likes this.
  13. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

Plug into the inst channel and turn the mic channel until I find the sweet spot. Usually around 8.5-9.5.
    Works with my Bassman, too.
    Plug into inst channel, mic chamnel on 12.
    Glorious cleans.
    Now unplug from inst channel and plug into that inst channel. Sag and sustsain that is almost like a cello.

ac/dcfan87 likes this.
  14. Axis39

Axis39 Senior Member

Cox Ultimate 5e3 owner checking in... When i got mine, it had a Celestion Gold in it and was very dark at lower volumes. I took a chance and picked up an Eminence 1228. What a great match for this amp!

I run my guitars into the Bright channel. Instrument Volume: 5-10 Normal Volume: 10 (unless I am playing a quiet gig, then I move it up beyond 10 to get some attenuation and additional breakup) and my tone knob usually sits around 9-10. 98% of the time, I am only running a Topanga Reverb pedal into the amp. Wah, Univibe, Delay and a couple of dirt/boost pedals share the other 2%.

ac/dcfan87 likes this.
  15. charlie chitlins

BTW...great speakers are available for these amps ALL DAY LONG for $15 on Ebay.
    Organ and stereo pulls...alnico, ribbed or not, Rola, Magnavox (it's CTS!), etc...
    I've got one I can't find on the EIA list that I like better than the original P12R.

16. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

What makes a good speaker?

17. charlie chitlins

I like the way it sounds.
    That's why I was careful not to say I found a better speaker.