Tweaking vs. Set it and forget it

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Meatwad, May 5, 2017.

1. Meatwad

Meatwad Senior Member

I always hear this from guys that aren't into modeling:

"There's too much to it......I like simple. I don't want to constantly be chasing tones."

Well....you don't have to if you don't want to.

I came up with an all purpose Marshall tone with my Fender Mustang years ago that I haven't changed at all. I use it for 99.5% of what I do.

Just like a tube amp, you can set it and forget it.

RichBrew, cybermgk and frankv like this.
  2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I rarely if ever change anything to a preset I pull up in Fractals AXE. If I don't like the intial tone I simply roll the dial to a new one. So yes, Your point is very valid indeed.

Meatwad likes this.
  3. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

As Frank says, there are so many good tones, stock on the Axe, and the Kemper too, I rarely tweak. On both, I'll tend to turn off some fx or stomps on a preset.

But, the geek side of me, occasionally likes to play with settings, or try and customize a tone for fun, or recreate tone or amp X.

That is the true beauty and power, you can do either, or, or both.

RichBrew and Meatwad like this.
  4. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

That can't work for me. Different locations have different acoustics, and sound properties. Amps often do not sound the same from one locstion to another.
    Dude..thats why they have knobs!

I have a different setting at home than say, up at the recording location.

Fun stuff. No offense meant meat. Basically toward the other comments.

Meatwad likes this.
  5. RichBrew

RichBrew Senior Member

That's to be expected of any amplifier, but the good thing about my Fender Mustang is that I set EQ for a different room I am playing in, yet am instantly able to revert back to the original sound at the turn of a knob.

mdubya, Frogfur and Meatwad like this.
  6. cybermgk

Exactly. I KNOW I was. And, I am pretty sure Frank was as well, speaking about the serious tweaking, and PARTICULARLY the old adage, that stock presets need to be tweaked to sound good. We weren't speaking about the inevitable need to adjust for room, etc.

Frogfur and Meatwad like this.
  7. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I don't fear tweaking. I fear difficult tweaks on the fly at rehearsals or jams. In these situations, I'm a knob turner. Period. A bank or two. A button or two. Okay. But "hold this button for three seconds and the scroll parameters by using these other buttons that usually do something else, and then continue to sort through it for ten more minutes..." Yuck!

I guess I'll find out soon enough. I ordered an AX8 yesterday.

cybermgk and Meatwad like this.
  8. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Global settings like presence and resonance when available is where I'd go to adjust for different rooms first! The Low and Higher frequencies are impacted more by a room's acoustics.

Frogfur and Meatwad like this.
  9. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

I have about 12 good presets on my Helix that I either created myself or modded pretty good factory ones. I have the saven in a userlist and only use them. So I spent a day in the beginning setting up what I wanted and have never changed any of them since.

Meatwad likes this.
  10. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Not me, man. I walk into a venue, plug my rig in and play. Any tone tweaks are the responsibility of the sound guy. That has pretty much been my MO for 30 years of playing gigs. It is SOOOOO loud once it hits the PA it doesn't really matter anyway.

mdubya and Meatwad like this.
  11. Falconbill

Falconbill Premium Member

If your switching between humbucker and single coil guitars, or even between single coils like a strat and tele, don't you tweek the preset or do you just find another preset that sounds better with the guitar in hand? At a minimum, I'd think you'd need to adjust the levels.

12. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yes Falcon. Different guitars do require a tweak of the preset. In my case I have a series of presets for different pickup configurations so tweaking really never happens.

13. mmd

mmd Senior Member

This is what I do as well. I have my "Live" bank - 12 presets that each cover an individual song, totally based on that particular song's needs. Then I have my "guitar" bank - where the are individual presets based on specific guitars and different types of amps.

The "live" presets are never really tweaked. They seem to really do the job onstage. They are fat, but still cut through. They have just enough gain to allow me to play easily but not so much that I don't cut through the mix.

The "guitar" presets are my starting point for when I am recording. If I am playing my Gretsch, I go straight to the "Gretsch" presets. Same if I am playing the PRS Paul's guitar - I go to the specific "Paul's guitar" presets. Just depends. Sometimes I go into the factory presets and mess around. If I come up with something cool, I will save it to the bank related to the guitar I am playing for use later on.

It can be as in depth as you want it to be, or as simple. The biggest difference with tweaking in this format is you can save it. So, if you screw it up - as long as you didn't overwrite the original patch - you just scroll over one patch and then back....BOOM, back to the tone you loved. I remember with my tube amps, I would tweak like that and - even if I took pictures, or wrote down my settings - it never seemed "right" again. THAT is not an issue in these modelers.

frankv likes this.
  14. cybermgk

Generally, I just find a preset set better for the guitar in hand. I have earmarked presers for my HBs, for my strat type SCs, for my TVJ guitars and for my P90 guitars.

15. Falconbill

Falconbill Premium Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't really spent a lot time trying to refine my presets to my various guitars yet as I'm waiting on my FRFR monitor to arrive.

16. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

Since I use a Variax, I have a different approach. As I build a patch to fit a particular song, I'll also rotate through guitar models on the Variax, looking for the right guitar model to use. I usually program a different guitar into each snapshot, so that the intro may be a Ric 12 string, the verse an LP and the solo a Strat etc. So my Helix patches end up being multi guitar extravaganzas! If I tried doing a gig without my Variax, I'd be in bad shape.

kboman, mdubya, mmd and 2 others like this.
  17. patrick2099

patrick2099 Senior Member

I'm fine with having plenty of tweaking options. I just didn't like being forced to tweak a lot and use odd signal chains,just to get a decent sound. From what I've read, this has gotten much better from the last one I used (HD500x).

18. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

Modeling amps scare the dog mess out of me... I need simple. Too many options and my OCD goes absolutely insane. That's one of the biggest reasons I love my LP. That simple bridge is a lot more accommodating to my OCD when I just HAVE to change up my action. Starting with an Ibanez and adjusting all those saddles all the time... RAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

19. mmd

mmd Senior Member

The nicest thing about the high-end modelers is that you really don't have to do much to make them enjoyable. I CAN and often DO just plug my guitar in, scroll to an amp I want to "try" and just use it as is. That is fun for me when playing amps I have never used before: Supro, Silvertone, or Gibson amps. I have NO frame of reference for how they should sound, so the model gets it done. they offer up some neat lo-fi type of tones that can be enjoyable and inspiring for writing.....

Once I get "used" to an amp, I MAY tweak it to see where I can take it, but on a lot of them I will just eliminate effects and get it to where I am more running the amp raw and dry. On those vintage amps I will get rid of everything except a spot of reverb - I sometimes go nuts and research them online to determine the right TYPE of reverb - spring, a studio plate, etc....

20. cybermgk

um, ditto (for real) for most of the time.

then Sometimes I like to DIY and see what the amp can do when tweaked, particularly for amps I have experience with.