Tuning Guitars

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Frogfur, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I use a pedal or clip-on tuner before I start playing, and used to use it throughout, but while playing alone, I’ve been practicing getting it quickly back in tune without a tuner. I’m getting decent at spotting the culprit quickly, and I can re-tune a bad string to the guitar well enough. I saw Marc Ford play plugged straight in, and he volumed out and held the neck up to his ear, gave a quick twist of a tuning peg and was back in business, all in maybe 7 seconds.
    That’s where I want to get.
    I’m not against tuners, but someday, machines are gonna fail and then the system is gonna fail.

I Break Things likes this.
  2. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Silver Supporter

Besides have multiple guitars setup for multiple tunings that I switch to ... my Rocksmith game has me tune each time I start the game or switch tunings for songs.

Plus, I just hit the Esc key and use the tuner displayed at the bottom of that menu.

...and, oh yeah...

:laugh2:

...it is really true, but still... goddamned this game has sucked my guitar playing life away.

:laugh2:

3. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling lol V.I.P. Member

THE video and authority on tuning your guitar.

GitFiddle and Sct13 like this.
  4. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

i always admired guitarists who can sing in tune while their guitars is out of tune.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  5. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I've seen Hendrix footage where he tunes on the fly.

6. SludgeBeard

SludgeBeard Member

I use a clip on tuner that I got from Reverb when they had a $1 sale for them. It's never let me down. Then again, I'm a bad guitarist and I certainly don't play shows or anything close to them, so maybe there's a whole complex world of tuning that I'm not aware of?

7. NorlinBlackBeauty

NorlinBlackBeauty Senior Member

Well what do I know ... I found that craptastic tuner while I was looking for my Boogie lead / rhythm footswitch (pretty sure that is MIA).

It had a battery in it that did not leak its goo all over, put in a good 9V and it still sort of works. Only the A and high E sound. Tested it with my Polytune - both notes are about the same amount of quite flat.

The duct tape has held it together for a long time. I have no idea of why I removed the "M" in MATCH. I did odd things when I was high. Which was often then.

MatchATone.jpg

8. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

I use a Snark Super Tight to get it in tune and do final adjustments by ear until it sounds just right. I do it the same way for intonation.

9. nitrodave08

nitrodave08 Senior Member

I have compared my shark and Strobe tuner app to an actual Peterson. The shark has a minute leeway off of center. The app acts like a remote display of the Peterson and mirror perfectly the wheel. About once a week, I will take the 3 gits off the wall and run through them to keep them in tune.

Each of the cases have an "A" tuning fork just incase I forget to put in the the Shark.

If I hear something that is a bit off, I will pop a few quick harmonics and get it back in. Usually the G string, and an occasional B string.

Oh yeah, one nice thing about the Shark is that I clip it to to the amp handle and it works just fine there. I don't have to keep switching it over to the different guitars.

10. Oatie

Oatie Member

My vote is to first have a pro setup on a Plek machine. Nashville.