tuner before or after Wah????

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by A string bounce, Oct 16, 2011.

1. A string bounce

A string bounce Senior Member

Looking at some of the pedalboard set up's I notice that quite a few people like to put their tuner straight after their wah in the chain? others before? What's the general feeling on this....and why?

I myself prefer before, and have in the past used an A/B box to take the tuner right out of the loop if need be?

So.........Before or after??

2. Pinkie

Pinkie Senior Member

I use a rack mount tuner so it comes after the pedal board.

Leendrix likes this.
  3. yawny

yawny Senior Member

The tuner should go first since you want it to tune the driest sound possible coming from your guitar to get an accurate reading. Most all tuners are true bypass so isn't like they affect your signal.

The reason they always seem to be after the wah or volume pedal is because people like to put those pedals on the edge so they're easy to reach and are far enough away from the other pedals that your foot doesnt brush knobs or hit things. The tuner may very well be before the wah in the chain, but after it on the physical layout

Lpendes, Lowdown, JMV and 2 others like this.
  4. JMV

JMV Senior Member

Before, most definitely. You want the most pure signal possible going to your tuner. Most wah pedals are culprits of tone suck (unless true bypass), so that will definitely have an effect on how well your tuner recognizes notes.

5. A string bounce

A string bounce Senior Member

Totally agree, that's why I wonder why some like to follow the wah??? :hmm:

6. JMV

JMV Senior Member

I'd bet it has to do with either layout of their pedalboard or they just don't know. Much of the time, I feel like it would be nice to be able to have my wah all the way to the right of my board.

I've just settled on leaving it off the board entirely and putting it right in front when needed (true bypass, though).

7. Leendrix

Leendrix The Cheeky One V.I.P. Member

I have mine right after. From what I understand, wah's are passive.

8. yawny

yawny Senior Member

Anyone see my above post? Just because the wah is furthest to the right doesn't mean it's first. It's usually there just so it's easy to get to and so your foot doesn't hit other pedals. The tuner is still first, or should be, it just doesn't look like it.

9. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

mine goes tuner, fuzz, wah. but i use a fuzz face type circuit that needs an unbuffered signal and my tuner is true bypass, so whutevah.

cooljuk likes this.
  10. switchback

switchback Senior Member

I have mine after, both on the board and in the chain, my Wah is "true bypass" and has never interfered with my tuning. But, then again this my setup and it works for me. I put it after because I like my wah to the far right and I have never had trouble tuning. Hmmmmmm did I just repeat myself :hmm:

11. Woodsie

Woodsie Senior Member

I just moved mine yesterday. I now have it second, both in the chain and physically. Purely for setup reasons. It keeps everything nice and square. Wah, then two rows of pedals. I'm able to fit one more pedal on my board that way. I didn't notice any tuning issues at all.

switchback likes this.
  12. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

My tuner is not in line with my chain at all. As others have said, it wants a clean signal.
    It sits in a loop on my noise gate.

A string bounce likes this.
  13. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Tuner first unless you have something like a fuzz-wah.

My Fuzz Factory freaks out if it's not tied directly to a pickup with nothing between (yaya, I know it's a FF, it's supposed to freak out). When I use it, it's first.

14. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

huh. i saw a post from Zachary Vex that said the FF didn't freak out if there were pedals between it and the guitar... how silly.

15. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

This is supposed to address that issue:

Foxrox Wah Retrofit