Tube Screamer vs Soul Food

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by TCFA, Jun 6, 2016.

1. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Not on its own, but as a booster in front of a cranked amp, its a part of some of the most influential metal tones.

OP, you can use your Screamin Blues in the same way, level to max and gain on low.

kevinpaul and Rhust like this.
  2. JtownJet9

JtownJet9 Junior Member

I have a Soul Food boosting the preamp of my Laney Iroheart, and it sounds amazing. The Laney sounds great on its own, but the SF, with the level cranked, and the drive just barely cracked, sends it to another level. I also own a TS and Boss Blues Driver, but they color the amps tone too much. I feel like if you're happy with your amp's tone, but more want more saturation, the EHX Soul Food is the way to go. If you need more mids, I'd go with a TS, and if I needed to do a lot of tone shaping, I'd try a BD. (All three are good, useful pedals).

northernguitarguy likes this.
  3. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Have both. TS9 has the midrange thing going while the SF does the clean boost thing better IMO. Love them both!

At the resonable price these pedal are sold (except for vintage ts9s), I recommend you get them both.

northernguitarguy and JtownJet9 like this.
  4. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

I have an old real Tube Screamer and used it for years. I saw PhilX and brought a Bad Monkey that is a TS at a good price.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  5. 74JMP

74JMP Senior Member

if you gig avoid the soul food, great pedal but fragile beyond belief . My TS808 is 37 years old and has been gigged till the were getting 700 bucks for them. Even opened the pot in the 80's and bent the wiper when it got finicky. Have a couple of klon clones but the best was from Tone Monk, the Soul Food is good but a bit too nasal at times

6. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

How so? I've been using one for two years and so far, so good.