Tube Screamer vs Soul Food

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by TCFA, Jun 6, 2016.

1. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

I'm feeding a Soul Food in an OCD... Spark Mini after, for any extra volume push.

I use an EP Boost, before the SF to goose it. Get a nice AC/DC type tone with the EP/SF.

SF and OCD takes me into any territory.

kevinpaul and Rhust like this.
  2. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

My Soul Food came in this morning. I ran my Hamer Monaco through it. I am impressed. The box is pretty darn transparent. I played with the boost, no gain, neutral treble into an old Dean Markley amp through a H&K 4x10 we use as a test bed. It can really nad kick the preamp. Next I played with the treble. Works well as advertised. Next was gain at different settings. Great. In all of it, I do not seem to lose the guitar as it doesn't go full nuclear. I don't get into full nuclear meltdown distortion....

I like it a lot. I can set levels for whatever Spanky Stank I want when I kick it, even keeping the net level out the same on/off if I wish, just Spankier. It gets my vote.

Very satisfied... Looking forward to trying it with my Goldie with minis and my Fenders... I think it is a great little box...

Just my $.02...

kevinpaul and GibsonKramer like this.
  3. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

Your Screaming Blues would pair very well with a Bad Monkey or any other TS clone. Those two may very well be all you need...

kevinpaul and C_Becker like this.
  4. WholeLottaTone

WholeLottaTone Junior Member

The OCD was my first pedal, and it started gathering dust after I picked up the Soul Food. I'd avoided stacking the two because it fed back like crazy, but I just took the time today to get a usable tone with both on. I turn the drive on the SF up to 10 and keep the tone just past 12 o'clock, then use the OCD with drive and tone around 1:30 to fatten it up and go from blues and classic rock to something a little heavier and harder.

If I could only have one pedal, it'd be the Soul Food, and I don't particularly pine for a Tube Screamer. I like the transparency at lower drive levels and the extra honk when it's pushed hard. The TS doesn't have enough dirt for me on its own and I prefer transparent overdrives to the coloring of the TS.

5. MUSTANGCAT

MUSTANGCAT Senior Member

I also have both along with a Klone and a Timmy. The Klone and Timmy are both higher end ODs. I want to add a Tumnus to the pack. Like many pedal hounds, I dig and have many ODs. The TS9 and TS-808 will always be very good choices for ODs as well. Different flavors work better than others with different amps and electrics.

6. Burst Boy

Burst Boy Senior Member

I have a TS (in fact three: TS808RI, TS808DX and TS9DX) and a Soul Food. Sometimes either type may or may not fit what my brain tells me what it wants to hear depending what I’m trying to achieve. Generally I use the Soul Food for low to mid OD for clear, articulate notes that blossom and start distorting when hit hard. I generally use the Tube Screamers for smooth lead work. Results vary depending on the amps I’m using.

For some reason I do tend to use the Tube Screamers (especially the TS808DX, a very nice sounding pedal) more than the Soul Food because there is something I like about the tone I can’t describe but both types are very useful.

7. David Garner

David Garner Senior Member

Simple answer is the Soul Food is a little more transparent and the TS is a little more of a mid-boost, bass cut type pedal. Either is fantastic in front of just about anything, but in general terms, I'd prefer the TS in front of a Fender or Marshall and the Soul Food in front of something like a Mesa or Vox.

I use overdrives to boost, not create distortion, so I will defer to anyone who cranks the gain on these as to which does what better in that regard.

8. Burst Boy

Burst Boy Senior Member

I tend to be a TS gain cranker and a Soul Food Booster (generally but not always). Works for me.

kevinpaul likes this.
  9. exactopposite

exactopposite Member

I have a TS808 that I built for myself and a Soul Food. They are very different pedals. The tube screamer has the mid hump that they are well known for. It has a very distinct "nasal" sound. I get why some people love it, but it isn't for me.

Soul food is very transparent. It works great as a clean boost or for dirt. I use it to add a little more meat on an already distorted amp or to give a little grit to clean sounds. It's a very versatile pedal. It's the only pedal dirt pedal I use these days unless I need a fuzz.

10. Belvedere

Belvedere Senior Member

I know it's not very popular, but the most versatile OD (except boutique ones) i've played is actually the mojomojo by TC. Very underrated imho.
    Full eq options and can go from clean boost to base distortion.

M2C.

11. TCFA

TCFA Member

well I ordered a soul food (new) and an east river drive (used) and I am loving them both. haven't played with them much yet and can't pick a huuuuuge difference between them, but there is one, and the ability to put them both together creates all the range I need I think. I may have drunkenly bid on a TS9 on eBay which I'm currently winning but now I don't really think I need. Probably put my digitechs up for sale now.

12. GibsonKramer

I personally like the OCD, over the SF. Though it's real close.

I like a lot of overdrive, and I think the SF loses some bottom end, when you push it. Why I usually keep it around 9 o'clock on the gain. I run the OCD on LP mode, just a tad before noon.

1 person likes this.
  13. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Ding, ding! This is how I use my SF. I feel it's an excellent clean or treble boost.

kevinpaul, GibsonKramer and Rhust like this.
  14. GibsonKramer

I've noticed that to. The SF does make a very good volume boost. Cleans up, exceptionally well.

15. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Yea, mainly I like the added treble it adds,

16. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

I run a TS808 or a Wampler Clarksdale into a Wampler Black '65.

My favorite Fender overdriven tones.

The Black '65 gives the TS some glass, warmth, and smooths the overdrive tone.

17. moreles

moreles Senior Member

As some have noted, these are two different pedals. The Sul Food is a discount Klon copy and good value for money; it will help drive whatever follows -- other pedals, amp -- but is not particularly distinguished when it gets into real dirt. It's not mean to be. The TS, on the other hand, is discussed in approx. 1,567,998 different places on the web, with the punchline being that it is a classic mids-heavy non-metal, smooth OD. What do you want? I think many would say the Soul Food combined with the TS is a great recipe for a beautiful tone.

18. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Played with my new SF some more with my Hamer and this time with my Blackstar studio combo... Really nice...especially neck pup... The SF is a very nice pedal... Runs head and shoulders with the high dollars out there. I like it better than the TS I've had... Two of my favorites are my SF and my DOD 250RI...

kevinpaul likes this.
  19. GibsonKramer

I am really growing more and more fond of the Soul Food. It's an extremely versatile pedal. I like the gain of the OCD better. Flipping the SP/HP switch, just gives it this bite to the attack. I love it.

The SF seems to make everything sounds better, though.

Both the SF and OCD play well with the Xotic SP. The EP, not so much. I haven't got anything dialed in with the EP/OCD, that I like. Works well with the SP. I think the Soul Food, does better with both pedals however. Running the SP, EP, SF... is one of my favorite combos. Makes the little JCM1H and 1x10" sound BIG.

The SF, also helps the OCD sound that much better. The tone control on the OCD works well, but I think the treble boost of the SF in front of it, works better. It takes the OCD from a nice articulate dirt, to pure insanity. I've ended up running the gain on the SF a bit higher that the OCD. Just seems to have a much more focused and tighter range. Easier to avoid sounding like mud.

The SF by itself, is perfect for everything from AC/DC, Nugent, Aerosmith. Throw the EP in front of it, and it's got big huge balls, at that point.

I have a buddy with a JHS Moonshine (TS clone) for sale. I'd like to try the SF in front of that. Might buy it next weekend.

1 person likes this.
  20. VicodinDream

VicodinDream Senior Member

I am not a big fan of the soul food. The components are all wrong and it also does not feel right to me. But my personal feelings aside, it is a tool. It does not matter what it is called, what it is used for, what matters is how you use it.

I own a KTR, both types of Mythical Overdrive, and a Chimera. If you like the Soul Food, than I urge you to check these guys out. They, including their big brother, were designed to do something different from a Tube Screamer. They do the buffer/boost thing well, but they can do overdrive quite well. I only took my Tube Screamer clone off because I wasn't using it. But now that I have a bigger board, that may change.

I use the BYOC Overdrive 2 when I reach for a Tube Screamer. It seems to handle it all, and without much fuss.

Stuff likes this.