Tube Screamer vs Soul Food

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by TCFA, Jun 6, 2016.

1. TCFA

TCFA Member

Anyone with experience of both? I've listened to video comparisons back to back, and I *think* I actually prefer the soul food, but it's hard to tell without hearing them in real life.

Actually I'd more likely be in the market for the tube screamer mini as it's comparable in price - I can actually pick up a used one in the next day or so for £50 if I want (new they are £69). Soul food new is £60 I think. TS9 I think runs about £115 new, or maybe around £70 used.

I couldn't actually hear any real difference between the TS9 and the mini in the videos I saw (I hope I didn't just say something bad or embarrassing!) - but there was definitely some difference between the TS9 and the Soul Food.

What are your guys' views on these pedals?

I'd hope to use the opportunity to maybe get rid of one of my digitechs. I've got the screaming blues, and the grunge. I guess these would be more similar in the niche they fill to the blues, so maybe that would go. That said, while I the grunge is pretty cool I can't see myself using it all that much so maybe that will go in time as well.

2. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I have both. I've had several TS pedals over the years. Imo, they are very different.

I'm sure the mini is a fine TS... But you forget another TS for the same or less... The east river drive... It's a ts808 with some little analogman improvements....

The best use for a TS I've found is boosting an already dirty amp, taking the dirt and compression to the next level... This is why it will always be on my board.. Nothing puts the thump in your chunky chunk better... Tightens the bass, and makes the power chords scream.

The soul food, can be clean or dirty, can be very dynamic and really makes the highs special..

Now, you don't say what you want your OD to do for you... Both are great pedals...
    What amp you running into? What music do you play?

By the way, your screamin Blues would be similar to a boss blues driver, and a lot of people used those the same way the use klons/ soul food now... To my ears they have some similarities, but I like the soul food better than the modded blues driver I had.

3 people like this.
  3. TCFA

TCFA Member

Cheers that's really helpful - I'll look into the east river drive. I like to play whatever I'm able to(!) (I'm not terribly good you see .........) - though that probably doesn't include metal or anything very fast and loud. Which is why I think I might let the grunge go, unless I can find a good use for it. Probably blues / trad rock mostly.

I have a Vox AC4TV. I like it although I find it pretty bassy and it reverberates quite a bit on the low notes (I think this is an issue with this amp and not the model in general). It has a 0.25W setting which gets a bit dirty

4. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

don't worry, I'm not good either :)

I am of the ilk that says play what you like, good or not :)

I'm not real familiar with the AC4...
    now, if you like the dirty side of the AC4, but find it bassy, then I think the soul food would be a great way to bring up the treble... but also try turning the tone knob up too... a 1x10 shouldn't be THAT bassy...

personally, the soul food (out of the ones mentioned) would probably be best, just for the fact you can boost the treble... but I'm not a fan of the gain past noon on the Soul food... personal opinion

alternatively... if you want a good rock/bluesy sound, skip the soul food AND TS... and look at the glove OD from EHX... also cheap ($60) but this is an OCD clone... you would be able to set your amp clean, and go from clean to dirty and really find a great sound you like.. it can go to the edge of distortion, instead of just OD...

you really get 4 sounds with the OCD... you get a hi/low gain mode, and you have an internal 18v/9v switch for the charge pump... the 18v mode will give you more openness and headroom, and the 9v mode will give you more compression and gain...

I have all 3 EHX pedals... they were all released at the same time and they are just stellar for the price.

or if you really like the heavier gain, like 80s rock, etc... you can easily find a rat or rat clone that should do the trick...

look for a rat clone made by little bear on eBay... called rat attack... that gets you all 3 gnarly rat tones in one pedal... including one that's more fuzz than rat :) the rat also allows you to dial up more treble as needed. and this pedal is stupid cheap... I think I paid $25

5. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I'd also add the TS is good driving other dirt pedals as well (as if they were the driven amp).

Soul Food can also give a MUCH louder volume boost than a tube screamer, and can sit at the end of a pedal chain and boost or 'enhance other dirt pedals. TS not so much.

2 people like this.
  6. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

If you have a dirt tone you are happy with from your amp, I'd say start with the Soul Food and if it doesn't fully scratch the itch then look for a TS variant.

I had a Boss SD-1 on my board and added a Soul Food, but after some time, I decided to take the SD-1 off as I like the amps dirty channel just fine with a little goose from the SF. So now I have the Soul Food set to take the clean channel to crunch and add a bit of boost on the dirty channel. I don't really miss having a second OD on the board.

Caveat: I'm one of those "group of old guys playing for fun cover band guys" that wants to be in the ballpark tone wise for the songs we play, but recognizes no one I play for gives a rats behind for the difference between any two given dirt pedals so close enough for rock and roll is close enough for me.

JtownJet9 and Rhust like this.
  7. BigDipper15

BigDipper15 Henry Hater Premium Member

I've owned both and not sure what it is about the SF, but I couldn't get one sound I liked out of it. Maybe just me. But I really prefer the TS.

1 person likes this.
  8. penguinchit

penguinchit Senior Member

FWIW, I had a SF and loved it but it didn't sound just right. As a boost into my Mojomojo, it was fantastic. Alone, it had a thin sound. I replaced it with a Spark Booster and love the tone now. By itself, it's fat and feeding into the Mojo, it's the sound I've been chasing.

9. cybermgk

That's why I replaced my Soul Food with a Wampler Tumnus, that slight thinness by itself. Tumnus does NOT have that.

3 people like this.
  10. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Ordered a Soul Food after hearing a comparison with a real Klon... Mainly out of curiosity... I am a big fan of boost into a tube preamp and the Treble knob interests me... I was impressed with what i heard.... I'll know when it comes in....

2 people like this.
  11. Mr. Satchmo

Mr. Satchmo Senior Member

my advice: get both

kiko likes this.
  12. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

what amp and guitar are you using?

what other dirt pedals are you using?

How is your amp set up at the moment?

13. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

+1. Not that expensive to do your own comparison. If you buy new you can always return the one you don't want or both if neither work for you. Used you can sell one.

1 person likes this.
  14. sonar

sonar Senior Member

The TS Mini sounds surprisingly good, but there are so many TS variants that sound better and are more versatile. I'd consider the Mini for a straight-up/no-frills TS, but look for a non Ibanez TS style that offers a little more down the road.

I don't have enough experience with Klones to give an honest opinion, but played a real Klon many years ago that I thought (at the time) to be an extraordinary pedal with old Fenders and Marshalls. One of these days I'll grab a Soul Food and take the Pepsi Challenge with a buddy's Archer.

15. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

yea, I'd love to add the tumnus or keeley oxblood to my stable... but either of those is more than he would spend on both pedals he asked about...

1 person likes this.
  16. TCFA

TCFA Member

thanks folks. i've had a look at those other EHX pedals that someone was suggesting. I didn't really love the gloves od, but i did quite like the east river drive. Still love the soul food (based on youtube clips only...). so.... i've bought a used east river for £28 on eBay and ordered a new soul food from amazon. I expect I'll keep them both and maybe ditch my digitechs

17. TCFA

TCFA Member

Using a Vox AC4TV. It's quite fat, bassy, breaks up quite quickly (esp on the lower watt settings). Nice clear popping higher notes though. Having some issues with reverberations in the lower registers, but having plugged into my pathfinder i think it's just something shaking in my lounge room!

I've got a digitech screaming' blues, and a digitech grunge

Playing (mostly) currently through my LP studio. Also LP Trad but that's in the shop for a while so I can't mess around with that. Got an epi SG with gibson pups and a Strat (Highway One I think) - but haven't plugged them in for a while

18. Mr. Satchmo

Mr. Satchmo Senior Member

I got the EHX Gloves, it was by far my favorite pedal between the soul food and hot tubes.

Soul food is amazing as a boost and as a low gain drive. I love it. Sadly I sold it.

19. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

I have a TS-9 Analogman modded and an Xotic BB preamp. I love the TS-9 for solos where I need to cut through. I also like to run both pedals with the TS-9 into the Xotic. It smooths out the TS a bit and adds some bass and gain. IMHO the TS-9 is a great Swiss army knife pedal.

20. cybermgk

Best of both worlds. Try feeding the SF into the East River.

1 person likes this.