Tube amps are on borrowed time

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Mr Insane, Aug 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I am not a high gain guy, but the high gain tones in my AX8 are awesome (to my ears).

But, once again, back when I was gigging in the 90's, I had tricks to get high gain tones out of my JMP and they typically blew away the gain knob tones out of modern amps. But "modern" 90's guitar players had to have new amps, not "old fashioned" stuff like I was playing.

I can dig that new amps may be more reliable. But the tone isn't better.

bulletproof and Rhust like this.
  2. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I am an equal opportunist. No "all or nothing" from me. I still have my old amps and enjoy playing them, too.

I just don't have a need/use for modern tones.

AmpedUp, Rhust and bulletproof like this.
  3. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Say it isnt so,brother!!! ;) :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

From jamming/playing in the 90's(quite a few AIC's clones as well as SRV),you have got to remember the one or two guys who would just crank the piss out of their gain and then have " that look " on their face as they disappeared within the band. Man,that shit was priceless....:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

4. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

My buddy was an SRV wannabe, with his Lace Sensor Strat and his 100 watt JCM 800, gain on 10, 75 watt Celestions in a 4x12.

When he got a Strat with passive pickups, he couldn't understand why the pickups were so noisy. :facepalm:

I seriously thought he was pulling my leg.

5. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

There are at least 4 Global Plants that I know of...............there are 2 in Russia.

I also think there is a second Plant in China but until I visit I have no idea.

:cheers2:

6. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

I'm no old timer or purist. I can do minor work on my amps and anyone that services electronics will be able to work on them. Other than tube amps having tubes, modelers and tube amps have the same components so if someone can work on a digital am then they'll be able to work on a tube amps They both have PCBs (unless handwired), transformers, capacitors, jacks, and wires. A component can fail in any kind of circuit, digital or not. Axe FX is for sure replacing touring rigs for big bands and I think making an affordable powered unit would win the market.

LeftyF2003, bulletproof and frankv like this.
  7. alstev

alstev Senior Member

I just got devastating news today, the Kemper I ordered in at the music store a couple of weeks ago, is on backorder and it'll probably be another month until I get it, so it looks like demand is really strong. I'm gonna go bananas though, patience is not my strongest quality.

mmd likes this.
  8. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

Cancel it and get it from Musician's Friend. They have them all in stock and an open box item if you want to save some money.

bulletproof and Rhust like this.
  9. alstev

alstev Senior Member

I'll for sure check into it, I'm in Canada though I might have to jump through hoops to get it shipped here. I ordered a pedal from Guitar Center, but I've never tried Musician's Friend.

10. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

I'm totally on par and pretty well fall into the same ways of thinking that you do. Prefer less gain as well. The 2061X has to be contained with the m-in-law in the house. I guess that's the main reason for the modelers! Ha! I'm also into the edge of break up tones and just slightly overdriven tones myself. The little JMP mini is very punchy for sure.

Haven't played through tweeds myself. I'll have to listen to some tweed stuff and try to tone match as best as possible with the Atomic AA3 for now. This last XiTone purchase will have me on hold for a bit as far as future purchases go. You never know what may pop up for a deal though!

bulletproof and mdubya like this.
  11. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Please, go take a tube amp to a general electronics repair guy (good luck finding even one of those) and report back. I guarantee you will be disappointed. Among other things, the general guy likely doesn't have the basics, like a tube tester.

bulletproof likes this.
  12. cybermgk

Almost 100 certain there is only one now in Russia. They ARE dwindling, not growing.

13. cybermgk

This cracks me up.

bulletproof, mmd and mdubya like this.
  14. cybermgk

I don't think they would be more reliable, if the OLD amps had their old components, like caps replaced.

bulletproof, mmd and mdubya like this.
  15. Splattle101

Splattle101 V.I.P. Member

Yeah, I had similar experiences in the 80s and 90s.

My old Marshall JMP and Laney AOR were bombproof reliable, though. The old JMP (manufactured 1971) had one issue, once (Dec 1994) and was otherwise faultless. The Laney never let me down, ever. But I looked after them both. Same with my pedals and leads and all the rest of my gear: I look after them, and they don't fail on me.

The gear that I saw failing under 'normal' usage was either:
    a. Amps that were too low powered, lacking maintenance, and run too hard, too long. Usually trying to keep up with half stacks. Vox AC30s and smaller Fender amps were prominent among the victims; and
    b. Speakers. Speakers in PAs. Speakers in quads. Speakers, speakers, speakers. The smell of burning resin & glue still evokes memories. I see dead speakers: dead speakers everywhere...

16. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

as I've gotten older, I've realized the 'high gain guys' weren't all that high gain either... a nice crunch, slightly muddied by pushing with an OD is all it really is... other than sludge or doom, I cannot imagine what the high gain channel on my own amp is for... tune down to C on the crunch and it's metal AF. even before hitting the tube screamer :)

I just think tube amps will coexist with modelling/profiling for a long time.

when was the last concert you saw that didn't have amps mic'd on stage?

I know trivium went kemper, because they used so many amps in studio, it wasn't feasible to lug them around to every show. I know vai and satriani use a mixture of digital and tube in their live shows now... and I think THAT is where we will be heading "next"... the mix of real plus digital... and ZZ Top has been doing that with JMP-1 rigs forever.

17. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I think Metallica have no backline anymore. But most of the bands I watch playing live are still plugged into a stack or a combo. I wish Metallica could dial in better toanz. I'll take their guitar sound on Ride The Lightning or Master of Puppets over their new stuff, anyday.

bulletproof, Rhust and mdubya like this.
  18. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

glad I saw Metallica in 94 then... I wonder what they are using now?

edit after google:

– St. Anger
    On St. Anger James started using a Diezel VH4 alongside his old Wizard Modern Classics and some Marshall amps.

– Death Magnetic
    Around 2007, prior the recording of Death Magnetic James started experimenting with Krank Krankenstein and Revolution 1 amps, which he ended up using on the album.

and another site says for the latest album it's mesa triaxis preamps

http://www.mesaboogie.com/amplitudes/2011/November/metallica-live-rigs.html

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  19. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I was under the impression they were full time Fractal. And don't get me wrong, they still have a great sound, but something is missing. It may have nothing to do with their equipment and just their approach towards songwriting.
    However, I will say this. There might be something to what the imperfections added to recordings that make newer ones sound 'too good'. I have no doubt that Diana Krall has a magnificent voice and is an excellent jazz pianist. However, to these ears, she is trumped by every singer who came before her, often singing the exact same standards. I'm not sure she can't compete with the likes of Sarah Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington, et. al., but there is something in the sound of the recordings that I prefer when listening to those masters. Which is odd, considering that modern recording tech is superior.

bulletproof and frankv like this.
  20. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

Could it be familiarity? You're used to those older sounds and that is what you've heard for most of your life. Meanwhile, if someone were exposed to the "too good" recordings for their formative years, they might prefer that sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.