Tube amps are on borrowed time

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Mr Insane, Aug 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

That video is crazy, drastic difference between the FRFR boxes :hmm:

I can hear the bass in the video clearly, thats for sure.

mdubya likes this.
  2. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

It isn't necessarily a bad thing. In that video I prefer it to the Line 6. That is not to say the Line 6 couldn't be tweaked to my liking.

I really prefered the real amp in that video. However, that more he switched back and forth, the more they all sounded OK to me. :hmm:

matthew bear likes this.
  3. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

Very clever

4. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Did someone say FRFR speakers.. Oh that's easy. It's XiTone

5. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Controversial topic for sure, does get a bit irritating though when other"s are hell bent on converting ya to the latest tech.
    The newest & best, or the oldest & most obsolete, either one,, still gonna play the same.

whether it sounds better or not is pretty much irrelevant.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    pnuggett likes this.
  6. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Well. that is the nature of an internet forum my friend. Nothing new here.. Nothing new to see.

If you went to a Ford Pickup truck forum... and Chevy guys came in.. Do you think you would have a love fest?
    If you went in a Nikon forum and Canon guys came in.. Would you think the Nikon guys were trying to convert you?
    If you had a BMW and visited a BMW forum. Do you think Mercedes guys wouldn't get irritated?

There is really a great solution to all this. Stay in rooms with like minded people and you won't get converted or irritated. I say this because the tech is so good we want to convert everyone because tube amps are boring and obsolete. See, we are in a modeling room. I'm gonna say that.

BTW... I am still glad you stopped by.

mmd likes this.
  7. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

I'll keep stopping by, because I do have a genuine interest, more so than ya know.
    I just don't feel I need to do the hard sell on my opinions.
    I'm not not one to say " I got an Axe" gotta get one or you don't know what you're
    missing.
    Back on topic though,, I think tube amps will be around for a while.

pnuggett and frankv like this.
  8. frankv

Well I am glad you will be stopping by... and you don't know what your missing. :rock:

9. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

Oh,, but I'm not missing much, I'm very up on the modelling tech.
    It serves a purpose, it's just not the be all end all solution to guitar sound.
    In My Opinion.

pnuggett and frankv like this.
  10. frankv

Then you havent played an AXE FX2 with twin XiTone 1 12 FRFRs... have you? I have and I have played over 60 tube amps including vintage Marshalls.. and I say it is the be all.... in my opinion

It's a silly argument and really has no clear winner. You play what you like for your reasons and others do the same. As I have said any times.... This place is just a place to sit and waste that free time someone might have. We are certainly not curing cancer with our posts.

ht-57 likes this.
  11. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Speak for yourself. I fortify all of my posts with b12 goodness.

frankv likes this.
  12. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

So what have you seriously played recently? How have you got so 'up on' the modelling tech? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

13. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Another thread headed for the dump.

paruwi likes this.
  14. James R

James R Premium Member

Just a little story, but it lends perspective to my local music store and their thoughts on modelling vs. tube conversation.

About 2 months ago I ordered a little Ibanez TS amp from them.
    It looks really cool and vintage, from the clips I heard it sounds great, and I actually had my girlfriends blessing to have it stay in the living room (which is something I've been working on for a while. A guy doesn't always want to go to his "gear room" to be able to plug in and play for a short time).

Anyways, about two weeks later I picked up a barely used Helix at a price that was right.
    Two more weeks go by and I call asking about the amp.
    At this point I'm completely enamoured with my Helix, but I didn't want to stiff my local mom & pop store with the amp that I had ordered.

They told me that it was going to be about another six weeks before it came in.
    Since I know the guy I was talking to quite well, and he's the floor manager there, I explained that I bought the Helix and, if it wasn't putting them out at all, I'd like to cancel the Ibanez and come have a look at some monitors instead.
    "No problem, I'm still going to bring in the amp and you'll have first crack at it, but if you don't buy it then I may take it home myself. It's a cool little amp."

So fast forward to yesterday.
    I go in to look at some studio headphones and while the young guy at the counter is ringing me through he says
    "I see you have an amp on order, it should be here in the next couple weeks."
    I explain that I cancelled the order due to the fact that I bought a Helix.

There were 3 employees behind the counter, including the one that was helping me, and all three of them were saying stuff like
    "Nice! Got your other amps up for sale yet?"
    "No surprise, we've been hearing a lot of that over the last year or so."
    "I don't blame you, I would've cancelled it too."

This post doesn't prove anything one way or the other, just pointing out that around here, the shift is being noticed by the guys that sell the stuff for a living.

My personal belief is that tube amps aren't going anywhere any time soon, but nobody can deny that modelling is not only taking a chunk out of tube amp sales, but also really climbing the ladder towards being the general market leader.
    It may take a while longer, but they're making strides.

15. vegetto_456

vegetto_456 Senior Member

Stupid question here, but is it possible to use the helix by itself and plug it into normal speakers? And cutting out the guitar amp in the process? I am learning a lot about modelling tech and the market has moved so much since I owned the Line 6 Spider 2 (Which I sold last year). I wouldn't mind splurging on something like the helix or Axe FX or even the kemper.

16. James R

James R Premium Member

I'm not sure I understand your question.
    By normal speakers, do you mean a guitar cab or studio monitors?

Either way, the answer is yes.

If you want to use a cab, you need to power it somehow.
    You can either use an external preamp or just go through the return of your traditional amp if it has one. This will bypass your preamp and use your power amp to supply the cabinet.
    In this scenario you would want to turn your cabs or IRs off in the modeller so they don't add unwanted colour to your chosen physical cab.
    Trust me, it sounds blah.

If your using passive monitors you'll also need to power them with something, but actives will plug right into either your XLR (balanced) or 1/4" (unbalanced) jacks.

Essentially, all you need is a guitar, a Helix, and a powered speaker or two and you're golden.

17. James R

James R Premium Member

I forgot to mention, if you're a headphones kind of guy you can ignore external speakers all together and just strictly stick to using the headphone jack.
    To my knowledge, none of the current generation of modellers needs to have a speaker load to function.

vegetto_456 likes this.
  18. vegetto_456

That is exactly what I meant but could not articulate. Thanks :) I think its freaking mind blowing that one can build a rig like that. I was referring to something like nice desktop powered speakers but I am thinking of buying a set of nice speakers (being a bit of an audiophile) so I can kill two birds and all that.

Cheers!

PS the more i read about Axe and Helix, the more I am amazed. What else should I be checking out if all I do is play at home?

James R likes this.
  19. vegetto_456

Sorry for the double post but I am a huge headphone nerd so that there is my jam! Not needing a speaker load is a godsend.

cybermgk and James R like this.
  20. James R

James R Premium Member

Right?
    There's nothing I've tried to do yet with the Helix that I haven't been able to accomplish.
    There's so many routing possibilities that I can usually achieve my desired results in a multitude of ways, depending on how much thought I put into it.

I'll be honest, it was a little intimidating to me at first, but once you wrap your head around all the different options it actually starts to change the way you think about and approach your desired effect.
    I'm still learning it though, and I feel like there's many different things that I haven't even thought of yet.
    I get the feeling that I could play this thing for a couple years and still be surprised at little nuggets of info from fellow users or demo vids.

cybermgk, vegetto_456 and mmd like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.