Tube amps are on borrowed time

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Mr Insane, Aug 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I think the similarity between my needs and Metallica's needs are simply that we already have a sound. Much like them, I went to modeling to get MY sound in an easier, smaller, more consistent package. Of course, it matters MORE for them, but like all guitarists I found a sound I dig I wanted to keep it.

The QSC was really awesome, but it didn't have a certain thing I like to hear in the mids. The EV did. It's weird, but it was INSTANTLY recognizable. As soon as I played through the EV my wife and buddy that manages the GC said, "Oh yeah. That sounds like you." The QSC was so "colorless" that the different models sounded better overall, but I didn't sound like me....if that makes sense.

I wasn't worried about accuracy across the board, because I knew I'd be recording with Helix through my studio monitors, so the other amps had to sound good there, not on the EV.

While it is neat that Metallica and I kinda share that perspective, I don't find it to be common among modeling players. What I am seeing a lot of is guys still trying to run them through tube amps and 4x12 cabs, or younger guys with great modelers but lower end speakers (Behringer, etc) trying to make it happen. There are dudes on the cover circuit using the modeling, and almost to a fault they aare using the QSC K series or the Yamaha DR (I think?). To me, the guys that sound the best are running all QSC systems - their PA, wedges, FRFRs for guitar and bass. As an overall system, those bands sound AMAZING!!! Different world than mine - I totally respect what they do and how they do it, but that range of tone accuracy is not needed by me.

I don't know...does that kind of explain it? It's hard to put into words because it is a sonic thing that equates to the feel.....

cybermgk likes this.
  2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

True.

3. KenG

KenG Senior Member

MMD what guitar do you use? Is it a PRS or an SE?

4. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I use Core PRS guitars. I have two S2s that I really love also, but I don't really play them.

5. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

frankv said:
    Hey Pnuggett. Maybe I and others have you all wrong and you are deserving of the utmost respect and consideration. Please post some of your recorded music. I would love to hear what you have.. Seriously..

Sorry if I came across that way. I seriously do appreciate your sincere interest.

frankv and mmd like this.
  6. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Regarding the QSC's, the tone I get from mine is a little bit warm and dark, even with the low filter adjusted on the AX8 for each model. That may be useful as volume increases, but I don't ever get much louder than exuberant bedroom volume levels, and even that is rare.

When I stick my head right up to the 8" cone, the sound is pure. What I hear that I don't like is the bass ports. Up close, they sound like someone is blowing in a jug, all the time.

90% of the time, I am perfectly happy with the K8. When I go back and listen to matthew bear's clips, the same ones that blew me away, I can hear these characteristics from his K8s, also.

In fairness, the QSC's aren't made for nearfield listening. So, standing across the room, all the up close nitpicking fades away. But I need to play quietly and sit with my head almost IN the 8" driver.

I am holding my cards trying to figure out my next move (small near field monitors to fill out the sound, or order a Xitone and wait for weeks and weeks, and maybe the spec changes before I receive it, etc?).

I had an Alto TX8, initially. It was dark and muddy, too. But that was before I knew the low filter needed to be tweaked. It might have sounded fine, for all I know?

So, some days the QSC K8 sounds incredible and I feel silly for ever being critical. Other days, I can still hear the things that initially disappointed me.

I should drag the AX8 down to Guitar Center and demo all the different monitors. But the thought of doing that is less appealing than sticking with what I have, which is OK but not perfect. :dunno:

And have no doubt, it is the monitors that sound different. If I put on my studio headphones, the Fractal models sound beyond amazing. If I use my Samsung MP3 earbuds, the Fractal doesn't sound nearly as good.

I trust what Frank says about the Xitone. That might not be an option in AUS, though.

RAG7890 likes this.
  7. Seven

Seven Senior Member

I Love my tube amps...:dude:

pnuggett likes this.
  8. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yeah man. Life is too stressed already and getting worse. The last thing anyone here needs is to be badgered in a "suppose to be fun" place.

9. frankv

I use XiTone as you know.. But if you can score a great deal on an Atomic CLR... GRAB IT

mdubya likes this.
  10. frankv

I use to love my VW Beatle.

Seven likes this.
  11. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

pnuggett said:
    Untrue

:rofl: Should I say untrue again? :rofl:

12. Seven

Seven Senior Member

That was my first car..

pnuggett likes this.
  13. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

Mine too. It was a '56 with an oval shaped back window. Bought it a year before I was old enough to drive and put in a rebuilt trans and hopped up the original 36 hp engine from the carb to the exhaust including special camshaft, pistons, distributor, competition clutch, etc. Gave it a great paint job, wheels, tires, and interior. Had a hell of a lot of fun with that car.

Seven likes this.
  14. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

I don't know about others, but, holding out for the XiTone was definitely worth the wait.
    I requested using the Matrix amp module in my cab and having not played the others he offers, I can't say what they sound like.
    After playing through a couple of different 4x12's and my homemade 2x12 clone of a 2061CX cab with Eminence GB128's, as well as some PA speakers and lower end studio monitors, the XiTone with cab sims on truly gave that last 10%.

Even my GSP1101 seems like an entire new unit now. What I didn't realize was that Mick installed the newer 2 channel Matrix amp module vs the single monoblock module. Better for all of us in the long run. He hooked me up proper. I'm glad I did it.

frankv and mdubya like this.
  15. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

M, I can't say I've ever noticed the "jug" in my bass port... I just figured it was brother Ted in the other room...
    upload_2017-9-28_13-50-46.png

RAG7890 and mdubya like this.
  16. cybermgk

Just thought you would appreciate replies in the manner of you.

17. cybermgk

Doesn't that burn your dingus?

AmpedUp likes this.
  18. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

My real problem is that I don't play loud enough. :yesway:

I tried to record a few demos today (want to represent what I hear in the room) and all you can hear is some distortion buzzing away along with the acoustic sound of my guitar. :laugh2: :doh:

It is a terrible representation of what the AX8 or the QSC K8 sounds likes.

I am going to try some direct out recording next.

matthew bear likes this.
  19. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Not sure if I posted this in this thread or another.

You can hear the distinct throatiness of the QSC (K10 in this instance) in this video.

20. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

I just went to give my setup a careful listen, I can't really perceive the bass response being unpleasant. my head is about 3 ft from the speakers and my ears are about level with the tweeter. I also have shitty hearing so who knows :laugh2:

mdubya likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.