Tube amps are on borrowed time

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Mr Insane, Aug 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dissaffected

dissaffected Senior Member

[QUOTE="Mr Insane, post: 8320781, member:
    I played a Marshall Code 50 yesterday.

The Marshall blew me away. [/QUOTE]

Tubes amps may be dying but I pray it is not as a result of the Marshall Code 50.

AmpedUp and Rhust like this.
  2. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I have never heard a good word said about the Code 50. :hmm:

I did get a giggle about the model of the Silver Jube sounding better than the real thing. I have experienced that myself.

I had the AX8 hissing like a scalded cat yesterday because I was running my fuzz (external) volume on "10" and I was boosting it with my Blingbuilt RangeMaster Clone, also on "10". All at talking volume.

Still, I am not getting rid of my JMP 2204, or my Champ, or even my Champion 600.

The amp models in the AX8 are truly awesome. They even need to be heard or played in person to understand how good they sound, much like a truly great tube amp.

The only things I haven't heard a modeler do are the truly dripping sweet tones of the absolutely best sounding vintage Fenders, or the "in the room" experience of a 100% in spec vintage plexi (or killer clone).

Now, IMHO, those are some pretty rare tube amp experiences. And most that crow about tube amps (as witnessed by the tube amps cited in the OP) have never even had that experience.

Thank goodness the AX8 saved me from even being limited to an H&K Tubemeister or a Phaez. :eek2: :Ohno:

AmpedUp, frankv and kiko like this.
  3. JOESHMOE

JOESHMOE Senior Member

I had a 100w Metro amp (super lead plexi) and
    in the same room, same outlet I have the same
    amount of noise as my Katana combo.

Jimmy

4. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars Senior Member

They will never go away but may fade in gigging situations as far as diversity as technology gets better with modeling amps. But if I gigged I would at least have a small 10 watter and mike it for certain situations..

frankv likes this.
  5. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Premium Member V.I.P. Member

That a relative statement as they have "gone away" for me and many others. And for good reason.

6. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell Premium Member

Tube amps have been on death watch ever since the first transistor amps came out.
    As of today, most guitar amps are still tube based, and I reckon they will be for a while.
    And tubes are a huge thing again in the home audio community

7. frankv

Where did you get that fact from? I ask because Fender has sold more Mustang amps then and other in their history.. In fact, it is the best selling amp of all time..

8. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

I remember back when these were going to revolutionize guitar amplification...
    [​IMG]

Yup. Tube amps, on borrowed time all right....

for about 60 fuckin' years and counting :laugh2:

LeftyF2003, pnuggett, RAG7890 and 4 others like this.
  9. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Hey Frank, where did you read that? I did the requisite google search and only came up with a Reverb article.

https://reverb.com/ca/news/the-best-selling-amps-of-2016

Donal and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  10. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

They did. Don't you remember? Pretty much everyone has one in their kitchen right next to the sink!!:thumb:

Stevie 202 likes this.
  11. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

Mustangs aren't sold because it's the greatest amp they made, it sells because they're affordable. The Fender Twin is the best selling amp in Fender history.

pnuggett likes this.
  12. frankv

Nope. The Mustang outsold every amp Fender ever made. Sold to "new players" which I might add will be taking over when you and I are done.

cybermgk likes this.
  13. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

Everything is on borrowed time isn't it? No one really uses the Spider I or AXE FX I anymore, do they? They've become obsolete. The only thing stopping me from getting an AXE FX II is that it'll be obsolete when III comes out.

14. frankv

I never did get that point because when 3 comes out does that mean version 2 sucks? Hardly. If it is as good or better then tubes now.. It will be better when 3 comes out as well.

The reason you don't see version 1 AXE is because those that play them want more of what it offers them.

15. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

I'm not say it's as good or better. People still play vintage tubes amps and solid-state amps but no one is playing older modeling gear.

tzd likes this.
  16. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

If we aren't there yet, I think we will be at a place soon where amp modeling will be about as good as its going to get. After that, it will be features and interfaces that sell particular units. IMO.

But to date, your point is exactly right.

17. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

I want one of these
    [​IMG]

Donal, C_Becker, RAG7890 and 2 others like this.
  18. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Number one selling amp of all time is

Fender Mustang (Modeler)

Tubes may be big in home audio community, but it is a SMALL community, and they generally don't use new production either. Simple business logic. It will soon not be profitable for those few remaining tube producers to keep doing so. Their market is not growing in numbers, but shrinking, year to year, while their costs go up to produce, and the equipment to do so OLD.

What happens to tube amp market if either, all the tube makers quit, OR only one remains and decides to do what monopolies do?

frankv likes this.
  19. cybermgk

We are there in the high end. They ARE as good as legacy amps for doing guitar amp tones, and being a guitar amp.

Next phase, will be THAT quality getting cheaper and cheaper. THEN, imho we will be at where you state.

frankv likes this.
  20. cybermgk

Lot of things have changes since those days though, which changes the dynamics.

Back hen, there were still US tube factories, and tube production was still wide spread. That isn't the case now.

Older SS tech was decent. But, back then it never sounded quite as good, responded as well, or felt as good as tube amps. THAT has changed, and relatively recently, in the last decade only.

VERY few 'names' used the tech. More and more pros and name's do use modelers and profilers now.

Musicians back then grew up with tube amps. It is what they knew. NEW musicians now, grow up on digital tech all over their lives, and SEE modelers/profilers all over.

So, imho, it's a bit nearsighted to say "well tube amps have lasted for 60 years, so..., or that first SS amps were supposed to replace, but didn't..."

LOTS of factors have changed.

frankv likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.