Tube amps are on borrowed time

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Mr Insane, Aug 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

I am making this thread as an owner of aPhaez PT40, Blackstar HT 40, Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18, and Bugera V22.

I played a Marshall Code 50 yesterday. I have a Blackstar ID:core 10, which is great for low volume jams at night. But sometimes it doesn't have that natural response.

The Marshall blew me away. If I was blind folded, I would have swore a Plexi was in the room. All those sweet dynamics we love in a tube amp. The Silver Jube settings were better than a real Silver Jube reissue I tried.

I'be been saying that I were a recording or in demand gig player, I would probably buy a Kemper. I haven't had the opportunity to play high dollar emulators like the Kemper or Axe Effects, but if a $250 dollar digital Marshall can sound that good, tube amps are on borrowed time.

2. JOESHMOE

JOESHMOE Senior Member

I have 2 Katana combo's and I get all the tube goodness
    I will ever need.

Its a great time to be a guitar player, so many
    choices!

Jimmy

3. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Environmental issues will kill the tubes eventually.

So, fan or not, praise the modeling technology research!

4. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Im never giving up on tubes.....and heres Rick singing the tube song as well!!!! :laugh2: :naughty::rofl:

5. frozenotter

frozenotter Down with the Sickness

Noone knows what the future may bring but it certainly won't be digital modelers that put them out of business. Not if they sound like they do currently anyway.

Robus, pnuggett and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  6. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

I get the urge to buy a tube amp from time to time. There's a sweet used Tweed Deluxe clone nearby for a decent price that is giving me GAS, as well as the Marshall Mini Jubilee combo. I'd end up dropping about $3k if I bought them both and wouldn't be able to turn them up at home, only at jams. But then I play my Amplifire and get cranked tones at TV volume or even via headphones and realize it's about the ideal solution for my situation. I can't say the AmpliFire gets me the exact same sound as the equivalent tube amps, but it sounds damn good and that's enough for me.

7. alstev

alstev Senior Member

I went to the local music store to order a Kemper in. All the guys who worked there were younger, and they all had Kempers. They were raving about how much they loved them. I doubt older guitarists will ever quit playing their tube amps, but I could see younger players being exclusively digital. More of a slow fade, rather than a quick death.

8. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

Edited your comments to fit my situation.

I love my Dual Terror and especially my Superdrive 18, but the Budda is straight up a gigging amp and even its most tame volume levels are intrusive for the rest of the house from my basement studio. The Dual Terror is more versatile with its lower power settings but the clean is not as good as Budda. I can dial in a reasonable version of any tone at whatever volume I've needed so far with the POD. I don't want to let go of my amps, but looking towards what I hope the future holds for me, I can't see a situation where they'll ever be my primary amplification devices again.

jdto likes this.
  9. kiko

kiko Senior Member

It's ok, we've been borrowing time for quite some time now.

Who, garybaldy and northernguitarguy like this.
  10. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

I bought a Torpedo Studio so I can play my tube amps whenever I want. When someone makes models of my 2 amps, I might think about getting rid of them. Until then, I guess I'll play them until they can't be played anymore.

P.S. I also own an Axe FX II, and enjoy both tube and modeling amps.

bulletproof likes this.
  11. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    And I, for one, welcome our digital overlords.

:laugh2:

Satellitedog, danohat, Who and 2 others like this.
  12. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

If my band made me play music like that, I wouldn't need any amp. I'd pack it in.

Stuff and bulletproof like this.
  13. drew365

drew365 Senior Member

I'm 67. My tube amps are all gathering dust. Even my Soul Tramp Wraith rarely gets turned on. I went to a Line 6 all day class on the Helix. I was expecting to be the oldest guy there. I wasn't and I had lots of company. Modeling is not an age thing, it's a "I want every amp and top quality sound, at my fingertips" thing. :cheers:

Sp8ctre, mgenet, mdubya and 7 others like this.
  14. bulletproof

Well,by all means,brother,send her to me:fingersx:

Kris Ford and northernguitarguy like this.
  15. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Even here, I dunno. I watched the end of vinyl and said good riddance. I hated the poor quality of late pressings as they were beginning to fade to 'obscurity'. Now, it's young people who are buying up vinyl and record players as though they were the 'new thing'. The future is hard to predict.

16. bulletproof

All my wanking aside,thats a damn good point,brother. :hmm:

dsmcl77 and northernguitarguy like this.
  17. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

I think that if you are going for a good tube sound, the high-end modelers will make you happy.
    But if you have been playing a certain tube amp all of your life, and you are now trying to dial in that EXACT tone, you will be disappointed.
    My gig requires zero stage volume, which pretty much requires some sort of modeler right into FOH. My choice is the Line 6 Helix.
    It's a 95 percent solution as far as getting a tube amp sound. Sometimes I think the sound is actually better through the modeler fir what I'm trying to get.
    But I read about too many people who get the modeler, and out of the box decide to 86 their stompboxes and amps, only to discover later that "something's missing."
    I still have my VOX AC-15. Don't play out with it ever, but I still love it.

bulletproof likes this.
  18. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

And I've renewed an appreciation for vinyl. LP collection has grown to 1,000 records. I wouldn't give up the convenience of digital audio. But LP's are their own thing.

The idea that we have to live in a world of all or none baffles me. There's room for everything.

And yes, nobody can predict the future.

Splattle101, Sp8ctre, RAG7890 and 7 others like this.
  19. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

Modelers will undoubtedly gain more and more market share as time goes on and there will be less and less production tube amp offerings, but tube amps will never totally go away there will always be a market with collectors, purists and DIY's. Modeling has been around about 20 years now and i still haven't seen a DIY modeling amp build thread ;)

RAG7890, pnuggett, lakeburst and 3 others like this.
  20. bulletproof

This right here....:yesway:

marsten, mdubya, James R and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.