Tube Amp Snobbery

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by BigJza, Nov 9, 2009.

1. refin

refin V.I.P. Member

Electric guitars are evil................I'm going acoustic.

2. BMS

BMS Senior Member

I thought you were refering to Randall and Egnator as SS amps so I added Crate. I didn't know that these simulated tube amps? I was asking the question, "Wouldn't the modeling guys fall under the Solid State Category?" So what I guessing you're saying is that Randall has modeling features with tube power? I'm not familiar with these so feel free to educate me. Thanks!

3. Shawn Fate

Shawn Fate Senior Member

What about the guys that use digital pre's with tube power amps and vice versa.

4. jo07

jo07 Senior Member

yeah they sound great I know:thumb: but every bass player I played with had ss for bass and they sounded great

5. River

River Senior Member

Mongrels?

6. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

And mine was in an Anvil case! Instant hernia if you weren't careful. The head and case alone must have weighed close to 150 pounds.

After lugging the SVT cab around for a while, I found an Ampeg G-60 cabinet - a 6x10" version, which was at least a little better. Still a small mountain to move from show to show.

- D

7. Shawn Fate

Shawn Fate Senior Member

Was it as heavy as the mesa bass 400 + ?
    500 Watts @ 2ohms, All Tube, Class A/B Power / 12x6L6, 4x12AX7 .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member MLP Vendor V.I.P. Member

my god, that could light up a dark room! :laugh2::laugh2:

9. BMS

BMS Senior Member

My old bass player has one of these. He had is in a road case with a Yorkville Bassmaster 800 (that was almost as heavy) as a spare. Together these things were back breakers. He actually dropped it off the stack when wheeling it during load out. Amazingly it survived!

10. coldsteal2

coldsteal2 V.I.P. Member

man thats sick! (in a good way fo sick)

11. Shawn Fate

Shawn Fate Senior Member

I am looking for one right now, I would trade a Vetta HD with long board for one. :naughty:

12. moodyedge

moodyedge Senior Member

it depends how how well tuned your are is and also how important the charateristics of value tone are to you. If you dont "get" it, then live with it. Solid state fan, good for you.... quibbling over which is better is nothing but politics

it is the nonsensical

Im sure theres a place and a use for every bit of gear out there. Choose your weapon.

You pick what you like and/or what you need, end of.

And no i didnt noseride into this post on a wave of moral superiority.

13. BMS

BMS Senior Member

I think he sold all his gear to settle down and is now driving a truck somewhere. A waste of talent and there is a shortage of good bass players around here.

14. axepilot

axepilot Senior Member

I own one and play gigs with it. I have a Standard. It's not really a modeller per se........................more like a "build your own amp" tool box. The Axe FX was an expensive leap of faith for me............................but I can't be more happy with it. Fractal Audio's approach with the Axe FX is unlike any others, and they really listen to the users. It never gets old - Fractal is continually issuing firmware upgrades based on user input. My tube amp patches play convincingly to me and sound great. The effects are awesome.

It is so unlike any modeler out right now that it's in its own category.........................definitely not the standard fizz box modeller.

15. River

River Senior Member

I don't need to hear much more. :thumb:

What are your favorite amp models (I've got the user manual list in front of me here)?

16. axepilot

axepilot Senior Member

The JCM800 model is a great place to start from. I dialed in a patch that sounds great. For all of my other patches, I started with factory patches as a basis. I have a killer Vox sounding patch that's actually based off of a Brown Face factory patch.

Be advised......................the factory patches are passable at best. The entire strength of the Axe FX lies in its ability to be tweaked in many more ways than any other modeller out there. Take the time to dial in your own patches, and the Axe FX will put a smile on your face every time you plug into it.

You appear to be right where I was at before I pulled the trigger. I had the owner's manual and the word of trusted friends who played. Have you ever used modellers before? Spent serious time tweaking patches?

Ask yourself these questions before you take the plunge. The Axe FX has a learning curve...........................and huge rewards if you are patient enough to learn it.

PM me and I can tell you more.

17. BMS

BMS Senior Member

Would you two get a room! :laugh2:

18. axepilot

axepilot Senior Member

LOL! :laugh2:

19. vortexx

vortexx Senior Member

I think the best of both world is when you apply a pod x3 for example into the effects loop and call on it when you would like some different sounds. You still get the full tube effect. I have an X3 but I'm usually too lazy to hook it up so my ultimate which I happen to have received a few days ago is the Emery Superbaby. You can achieve tonal bliss just by changing the tubes around.
    It's a lot like having a modeler with pure tube tone.

20. Nigel T.

Nigel T. Senior Member

MTS Modules | Amplifiers
    Egnater Amplification ? Modules

Apparently Bruce Egnater came up with a re-invention of the separate pre-amp/power amp. This effectively separated them in a normal head case, and by having a way to hotswap different pre-amp modules you can have the internal electronics to model other pre-amps. Randall does stuff like Fender Deluxes and TWin Reverbs, Marshall Plexis, Boogies and all the other high powered super saturated stuff, while Egnater is more focused on the "toney side" of things like Dumbles and Matchlesses and so on. Though Egnater also have the standard set of Marshall, Fender and Boogie amps.

My Pre-amps come with 2 12AX7 tubes and the RM-4 Pre-amp has an additional 3 of them. Feed that to the Power section of a normal amp (in my case the return of a Ceriatone HRM) or a regular power amp and you have amp modelling by tube.

I'm a danger with a soldering iron, so don't ask me the really technical stuff, enjoy the links. ;)