trying to identify Gibson pickups...

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by cowboy, Feb 3, 2011.

1. cowboy

cowboy Member

I've had a pair of Gibson HB pickups in a drawer for quite a few years now...just wondering if anyone could provide some more info....
    [​IMG]

can't find any other marking except for the "Gibson USA"..the black is just some tape put around the coils...no covers that I know of...nothing else except the lead wires are metal mesh wrapped...any help would be appreciated...thanks...later.

cowboy

2. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

I can tell by the picture above it's a bridge pickup, because the screw coil is on the wide side of the base plate. If it was a neck pickup, the screw poles would be going through the other side. If you peel that tape between the D and G poles, you will see a "T" stamped there, for "Treble" pickup.

That narrows it down to 3 different models, the 490T, the 498T, and the 500T.

If you have a multi-meter that reads Ohms, you can determine it further. If it reads around 8.00k ohms, it's a 490T. If it reads around 14 to 15K ohms, it's a 498 or 500.

The way to tell those 2 apart, just unwind the outer covering of tape and see if you have a thin silver-colored magnet between the coils and 1 or 2 wooden spacers on the outside of the coil. If so, 498T. If you have a dark greey THICK magnet and 2 smaller ones on the outside of the coil, 500T.

Does that make sense?

PS, don't worry about removing the tape, you won't hurt anything. Just take it easy so you can re-apply it.

herzog and SilverBurps like this.
  3. captain tightpants

Now for the other pickup, if it's a neck pickup, the pole pieces from the screw coil will pass through the side of the base plate with narrower spacing, opposite of the "T" mark. Only 2 choices here, 490R and 496R. Both will read at around 7.50k Ohms, althought I have a 496 that reads 8.8K ohms. Doesn't really matter. Just carefully unwrap the outer protective tape again and see what color the magnet is.

If it's silver, it's a 490R. If it's dark grey, it's a 496R

Just as an aside, if you have a 496R, and it reads hot like mine, it makes a fantastic bridge pickup for an SG if you swap out the ceramic magnet for an Alnico 4 magnet. Kind of a cool "Hot-Vintage" vibe on the cheap.

SilverBurps likes this.
  4. cowboy

cowboy Member

thanks for the info...I've got the pair....are they worth putting into an 2010 Epi LP Standard?...how much of an upgrade would it be an upgrade from the Epi stock pickups? thanks..later.

cowboy

5. captain tightpants

One of these days I'm going to take a bunch pictures and make a thread about this.

Personally, I love Gibson USA pickups, and yeah, I think they would be a fine upgrade for Epi pickups. I like to swap the magnets out on them, usually an A4 for the bridge and an A5 for the neck. I find the A2 in the neck always sounds too muddy.

Gibby USA pickups love 500K pots, too.

One other question, do you know what guitar they came out of? I could probably tell you if you know that.

6. cowboy

cowboy Member

sorry, no idea....got them for $40 for the pair....figured I couldn't go wrong....of course it took me another eight years to get back to the LP...went on a strat/tele thing for a while...later.

cowboy

7. SrDeMaFp

SrDeMaFp Senior Member

Not for that price you can't! Nice snag!:thumb:

8. captain tightpants

Not a bad deal right there at all, good score :applause:

9. dannyibison

dannyibison Junior Member

I've been trying to apply the process above to identify a pickup I came across by chance ... it is marked on the underside with the same "Gibson USA", "T" and nothing else ...it tests at 15.13 ohms so I assume it to be a 498 or 500 ... I can't tell which though ...

is it possible to tell which it is from my admittedly dreadful picture i have attached?

many thanks, Danny

Attached Files:

10. RickRandom

RickRandom Home for wayward Gibsons Premium Member

Those spacers don't look like wood so I'm thinking 500T.

11. dannyibison

that's great - thankyou

12. slapshot

slapshot Senior Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. dannyibison

having seen the 2 it's clearly a 500t ... many thanks

14. threadedtime

threadedtime Junior Member

The 490R the Screws are on the Top of the Logo...the 498T the Screws are on the bottom of the logo

15. FlammenMeer

FlammenMeer Junior Member

Hi all,
    Please help me identify these humbuckers.
    I bought them on ebay, used, as 500t and 496r.
    When unpacked, had no "Gibson USA" on the back, just blank metal. Except for the T and R. So now I am wondering if are these or not Epiphone pickups or some chinese ripoffs? Seller claims they have been taken of a gibson guitar and I should know the tone.. I just never seen gibson pickups with no markings on them.
    Can any1 please assist me here?
    Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jpg images

16. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

the outside spacers in the 500t are actually magnets ,yep it has 3 magnets .

17. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

Did you take those pics with a drone ? ..... you need close up pics & all sides help along with dcr reading ...........

18. JCarno

JCarno Senior Member

You know if you click on the pics they get bigger? And if you click them again, they get bigger yet! :)

19. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ not sure about you, but I click and go to the hosting site. Where you can get some slightly larger views but still somewhat unclear.

20. FlammenMeer

FlammenMeer Junior Member

guys, can't make better pictures.
    I live in Europe and this set was ordered to a friend of mine in US, who already sent them over to me. So I won't be able to take a closer look at them before next week..
    I was just wondering if there are any gibson pickups with no logo on the back, at all??

thanx for the replies anyways.

PS
    about the pictures. that friend of mine is a bit "special", probably took the pix with a toster or something.