Trying out new DAW

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by jeff_farkas, Nov 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jeff_farkas

jeff_farkas Senior Member

I found and am trying out Podium Free.. ver 3.x. It's really great and for anyone who wants a nice simple to use and powerful free DAW I highly recommend it.

It lets me easily bring in a backing track and record myself playing guitar. The two big things I want to do.

Link..
    https://zynewave.com/podium-free/

dsmcl77 and Nicky like this.
  2. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

I'm learning Pro Tools after using Cakewalk/SONAR for the last 25 years. Huge learning curve, but tutorials have helped a lot. But since I am responsible for recording our band of grumpy old men (and women), I need to get up and running quickly. So, I am paying a local recording studio to let me sit in at a few sessions and teach me the ropes. I sat at the desk until 2:00AM this morning as they overdubbed some vocals and mixed a couple of tunes. Taking lots of notes. Next week, they're going to let me bring some of my prior SONAR projects and help me convert and mix them in PT.

3. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

That's a bummer with the demise of Sonar,
    Now a days it's not hard to migrate projects from one daw to another,.. certainly helps a lot when you get some pro help right from the get go.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  4. armycopter

armycopter Senior Member

I have been using Reaper and really like it.

frozenotter likes this.
  5. jeff_farkas

I purchased a copy a few weeks ago and like. It's nice and easy to use but my go to is still Studio One.

6. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Been doing PT since 2006. Mostly know it too well to even think about moving away from it. But if I did, it would be Reaper. Not better, just more efficient and tons of support too.

Hang in there Nicky, Between all the videos on YT and the DUC, you'll learn everything you search for. http://duc.avid.com/

fleahead and Nicky like this.
  7. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

That. Exactly.

KP11520 likes this.
  8. Nicky

Nicky On The Road Less Traveled Premium Member

AVID does have a lot of resources. The Avid forums are loaded with tips.

KP11520 likes this.
  9. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Youtube has loads of instructional videos. LOADS. As you get used to AVID PT terminology, you'll find exactly the lesson you need when using YT's search engine.

Nicky likes this.
  10. jeff_farkas

Benn messing around with Studio One.. and the more I dig into it the more I like it.

11. StillLearning

StillLearning Senior Member

I just recently purchased and installed Studio One and have been playing around with it the past few days. I am totally new to recording and using DAW's, so its a bit of a daunting task. The tutorials are fine to a certain extent, but I find myself wishing I had an actual person showing me what I need to know. Hopefully with enough time and patience I'll be able to figure out enough to actually record something

jeff_farkas likes this.
  12. jeff_farkas

If you have any question feel free to ask. I'll try to help out. Either PM me here or Email me at jeff.farkas@gmail.com.

Glad to help out. The tutorials are nice but they don't cover enough.. IMO. And the ones on YouTube are also good but they don't cover everything in one. I did find this one and it might help.

13. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

I use Cubase- Artist edition- have been using Cubase and Nuendo since 95. I can't think of any sotware that gives more value for the price than DAW software. When you look at the cost of the hardware they replace...

But they all have their own learning curves and workflow. I believe they retain customers by how much learning we have to invest.