Truss rod adjustment on new guitar

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Nate Henderson, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

Depends on where its buzzing. Buzzing under fret 5 usually means the neck is a bit too flat, needs more relief. Buzzing up higher usually means bridge too low.

The measured relief is so important in 12th fret tolerable action height. Nut slot depth makes a difference too. Then again playing style - how heavy you pick, matters. If fretting out on bends is an issue, the neck radius matters.

2. Malikon

Malikon ジャンプアップ V.I.P. Member

Not hold the nickel in place like it wouldn't fall out if i tilted the guitar, but touching enough to balance it on the fret with the guitar laying flat.

It's a good trick plus it works for stuff like fenders where you have to match the strings to the radius of the fretboard. You just have to use the nickel on each string and you'll match the fretboard radius.

3. Nate Henderson

Nate Henderson Member

Makes sense. But neither of those things are problems with the guitar, right?

4. endial

endial Senior Member

Nope. All is good so long as it can be adjusted. That guitar is killer. Now go play it.

5. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I have no idea if Gibson or its dealers are really doing any decent setup anymore. I encounter guitars all the time -- all the freaking time -- that have way too much relief, and almost always it's because the truss rod hasn't been adjusted, or even brought up tp minimal tension, since the thing was built. Most owners don't know how to do a really decent setup, and many dealers don't bother, so there are loads of poorly set up guitars out there.

endial likes this.
  6. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Mr. Pickles loves you. MWAH! ♥ Premium Member

Rarely have I pulled a Gibson off the shelf that has a great setup.

7. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Considering humidity /weather changes from where the instrument was made to wherever it's being shipped to adjustments of any kind is not unusual.

As to the statement made previously about Fender micro adjuster vs shims. I have a Strat that I've owned for 22+ years and it's neck angle is adjusted using the micro-tilt and it's not had any negative effect at all.

Consider the source.