Truefire Courses....

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Orange Lester, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Orange Lester

Orange Lester Senior Member

I have purchased several courses online from Truefire...a couple of duds, but there are two instructors that I think are outstanding...Jeff McErlain and Brad Carlton. Both have provided some insight to me and expanded my vision of the fretboard and seeing notes for leads inside chord shapes and increasing my sense of melody.

I'm in no way affiliated with truefire or either of these two gentleman, but they are worth giving a look if you are interested in a self-paced approach to building your skills.

Eddie 70 and spitfire like this.
  2. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

Long time fan of TrueFire here. A truly amazing amount of material. They are also now offering "Learning Paths" which is structured more to following a progression rather than just cherry picking specifics. It's a nice addition.

While I originally bought many lessons, I decided it was less expensive for me to just go ahead and subscribed every year. They always have some sort of sale, and I re-up when those are going on. So I think it shaves the yearly cost down to $100 or so. That may seem like a lot to some, but it gets me full access to all the videos. So I don't end up wasting money on ones I ultimately don't get into.

The videos are very well produced. Many different instructors. And I agree I like some more than others. But that is very subjective. So it's nice they have so many instructors.

I think they have about 150 different instructors. And some are pretty heavy hitters like Larry Carlton, Tommy Emmanuel, Robben Ford, Johnny Hiland, and Steve Vai. They cover a lot of different styles. And certainly the main ones, blues, rock, country and jazz are well covered.

And they cover beginner to very advanced. So there really is something for everyone. I highly recommend them.

Eddie 70 and Orange Lester like this.
  3. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

$100/year, on sale, is pretty cheap when you consider how much lessons cost. Granted there is no face to face interaction, you do get to study at your own pace. Move along as fast as you can or take it slow and grasp all that you can.