True Historic Snafu

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by AtomicModern, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Casella

Casella Junior Member

Hey guys, I am the owner of the guitar Atomic is making over. He's doing an amazing job with it! That Knopfler aged R8 LP being sold as something else is crazy...

AtomicModern and DanD like this.
  2. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

3. indeedido

indeedido Senior Member

Chibson!

4. AtomicModern

AtomicModern Silver Supporter

The Knopflers varied wildly in finish - but, the guitar listed in the link has the EXACT same wear patterns on the back as the Knopfler.

Haprom and fretnot like this.
  5. DanD

DanD Senior Member

It does have the same wear patterns from the back of the headstock to the back of the neck and on to the back of the body.

CME uses the bright white background which doesn't help. Comparing it to a completed Knopfler it appears the repurposed model missed the final amber coats and the wear areas weren't finished as far as aging goes. Gibson darkened the aged areas on the Knopflers.

It's repurposed but it looks to me as if Gibson pulled this one a couple steps from the finish line and called it a day. At least they didn't try to 'over age' like GF or CC 29.

AtomicModern likes this.
  6. AtomicModern

Welcome! Glad you made it!

7. fretnot

fretnot Senior Member

The aged 58 from CME is a repurposed Knopfler for sure.

8. bungle

bungle Premium Member

I like it. Unique for sure.

9. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

The cutout is TH spec and the Knopflers were 2014 spec. so no. I could go on ...

10. fretnot

fretnot Senior Member

The aged Knopflers were made in True Historic spec.

Crotch, AtomicModern and Haprom like this.
  11. gravedanger

gravedanger Senior Member

What makes you guys think that the CME 58 is re-purposed? Not super familiar with that process. Most of the CME Aged 58's all have the same wear pattern.

Btw, all their aged R8s have the following mark on the back of the headstock. If that's a wear pattern for the Knopfler CC than these def. are re-purposed:

[​IMG]

12. mfolet

mfolet Senior Member

All 50 aged were TH spec. and were signed and sold out in 2016

13. AtomicModern

I think the point that’s being made here is that there were clearly more made and they are now being sold as R8s through CME. The questions that raises:

1. Are the supposed limited numbers accurate? Is Gibson making more than are advertised?

2. Are they making them and selling them without paying the royalty fee?

3. Are they really not selling well at all and are being repurposed?

What Gibson reports as being sold out really just means that their dealer network has bought them all. That says nothing about how many have been sold to actual end users, and it says nothing about a year later when they are being returned as unsold to Gibson.

14. AtomicModern

Here’s a Knopfler for comparison:
    3BC201C5-2210-42B9-96EF-5EC23DD64CD4.jpeg

CME:

19985D53-E43D-4DFF-8C37-D6B0C0A00472.jpeg

Knopfler:

2216F0F8-C740-40EA-8A30-500717D21CD4.jpeg

So, yes. Repurposed.

15. UEF

UEF Senior Member

Can't argue with that.

16. gravedanger

gravedanger Senior Member

Do you think the unpainted bodies have been sitting since 2016 or do you think they are just recycling a pattern?

17. Dave Sutton

Dave Sutton Member

Gibson has been known to use wear patterns from their CC runs in other aged guitars. Obviously they want to replicate actual wear patterns unlike the relic knockoffs where a guy just took some 80 grit and a screw driver randomly to the finish. I've had some come thru the shop that were home aged that looked terrible like" how on earth could that have happened?"

scuffing and rubbing brown shoe polish into your guitar isn't cool. lol. As for what it is or isn't or was... who cares. just enjoy the thing

18. AtomicModern

I imagine anyone who paid top dollar for an official Knopfler LP would have plenty to care about - they essentially paid almost double the price for a certificate.

And, I imagine Mark Knopfler would have a legitimate beef with Gibson, as well.

Gtarzan81 and DanD like this.
  19. AtomicModern

Is anyone here local to CME and willing to go down there and look in the control cavity of one of these guitars? If the cavity serial number is scratched off like the guitar that was the original subject of this thread, that would certainly confirm the repurposing.

Gtarzan81 likes this.
  20. DanD

DanD Senior Member

I essentially got a CC 29 right at half MAP [avatar]. It is to date the best deal I've gotten on a new Gibson.

I've been lucky to have owned numerous RIs from 1990s and up. Every few years they have gotten noticeably better. However, 2013 was a really big step forward and not the incremental improvements of the past. As good as 2013/2014 models were, the CC runs of '14 and '15 are off the hook. In fact my repurposed CC29 edges out my TH BB7 for feel and attention to detail. I don't think enough people really understood or appreciated the extra hands on attention the CC lines received.

If you can get a repurposed Knopfler for almost 1/2 of MAP then do it! I can tell you that I don't miss Tamio Akudas pic in my book. You gotta ask yourself if that book is worth 3-4K to you?

I know what my 'faded orange burst' was supposed to be. It matters not one iota to me that I don't have the 'proper' book. I ain't playing that book! The only thing the certs or books have ever done is take up space in my case pockets.

I'd rather have that extra 3k I saved taking up space in my pocket. :cool2:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    RAG7890 likes this.