Troy Nelson's "Guitar Aerobics"

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Barnaby, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

When I was doing the exercises, it took me quite the amount of time to learn the pattern just so I could try and play it in time. It might take me several days to work through one days pattern when I was working the book.

Barnaby likes this.
  2. Barnaby

Barnaby Senior Member

I know exactly what you mean. I have done that with more than a few (and am at the moment with one difficult rhythm pattern). However, I also have to try not to get bogged down. My feeling is that changing stuff up frequently is one of the main virtues of this book and, if I tried to get every single exercise perfect before doing the next, I'd never finish it. Therefore, I limit myself to about a week. If I can't get it by then, I record it as is and move on.

There's always at least one exercise that gives me trouble each week. Now I'm up in the higher numbers, there are usually two or three. That increases my practice time to the point where everything is becoming hard to fit in, given my work schedule.

One of the comments I've had on the videos on YT from time to time is "You haven't nailed this or that exercise perfectly. Go back and do it slowly and gradually build up and don't do the next until you have this one."

That's great advice for playing in general but, for this process I think it's kind of missing the main point. As I say, I made a pact with myself to give things no more than a week.

Eddie 70 likes this.
  3. Barnaby

Barnaby Senior Member

A little late, but still going...

Subterfuge and Eddie 70 like this.
  4. Barnaby

Barnaby Senior Member

Now officially 3/4 of the way through...

Subterfuge likes this.
  5. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

First time I have ever heard a note salad!! Cracked me up!! That last riff is pretty cool.
    13 more weeks.

Barnaby likes this.
  6. Barnaby

Barnaby Senior Member

Thanks man!!! I really, really appreciate your comments. You have been helping keep me motivated, for which I'm very grateful.

I'm a little bit ahead, but am getting bogged down in some hard exercises now. With luck, I'll keep my schedule.

I suspect that this will be one of those things I'm glad to have done, rather than particularly enjoyed throughout...a bit like a marathon.

Eddie 70 likes this.
  7. Barnaby

Barnaby Senior Member

On I go. This is Week 40.

Subterfuge and BKS like this.
  8. Barnaby

Barnaby Senior Member

Also, here is my video of my impressions of weeks 33-40.

Subterfuge and BKS like this.
  9. Barnaby

Barnaby Senior Member

Righto - Week 41!

Subterfuge, Eddie 70 and BKS like this.
  10. Barnaby

Barnaby Senior Member

Week 42...10 weeks to go!

Subterfuge, Eddie 70 and BKS like this.
  11. Barnaby

Barnaby Senior Member

Entering the final phase. Counting down to the end...

12. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

That rhythm at the end sounds nice.

I have a bad habit when I am playing that I liken to stomping while running. I feel like I really grip the neck when the pressure seems to be on me, at faster playing speeds. The reason I say this, it seems to be happening to you also. I have been trying for a long time to loosen up, but it is a hard habit for me to break. Do not give up, you have come a long way. The videos show that you are getting better!!!

Barnaby likes this.
  13. Barnaby

Barnaby Senior Member

Thank you! I think that's great advice.

14. Barnaby

Barnaby Senior Member

44 weeks in and 8 to go...Happy New Year to one and all!

15. Barnaby

Barnaby Senior Member

OK - here's Week 45.

Eddie 70, BKS and warprider like this.
  16. BKS

BKS Senior Member

Nice one :applause::acoustic:

Barnaby likes this.
  17. Barnaby

Barnaby Senior Member

Thank you very much! I've been lucky to receive a lot of positive comments and some really useful support throughout this journey.

I must say however that, although I'll see this through to the end, I'm kinda running out of steam. It's not so much the exercises themselves, but making the videos each week. I know it doesn't seem like a lot of work to film three short sections of each exercise every day and compile them at the end of the week, but it is a surprisingly time-consuming task.

Now, I finally understand a little of how those hardcore YouTube creators with regular upload schedules who say stuff about their channels taking all their effort have come to feel. Luckily, I'm not interested in having a popular channel, widening my audience or deriving serious revenue from the whole thing, but, if I was, I could easily image it being a full-time job. I'd need to invest in lights, probably put aside a devoted space in the house as my "studio," spend much more time on sound and camera work and then seriously get into editing and mastering...all for the outside possibility that my channel might start to get a following and pay for itself, plus the absolute certainty that, if it did so, every second comment would be a variation on "you're talentless/boring/ugly/an idiot," no matter how good, original or interesting the videos were.

There are so many better ways to spend my spare moments!

Eddie 70, huw and BKS like this.
  18. Eddie 70

Eddie 70 Senior Member

Nice improv at the end. I enjoy doing it with backing tracks but have never been able to make my own. I have a loop pedal and need to work on this.

I know it takes a lot of time to make these videos. No telling how many hours have been spent putting these 8 minute videos together. Almost 7 hours of video, how many hours of editing? Quite a bit more I would assume.

Barnaby likes this.
  19. Barnaby

Barnaby Senior Member

Thanks, man. Very much appreciated - as always. I recorded this video a few weeks ago and had forgotten about the improv at the end! I've actually just put Week 50 in the can, so the end really is nigh.

I loop a lot and have done it live a bunch of times. I'm not one of those people who does really amazing stuff, but can bang out, say, verse and chorus, plus bass, rhythm and even vocal harmonies if I have to on the fly. It's meant that I've spent too much on different loopers over the years in a (vain) search for the "perfect" one, but that's all part of it. Recently, for jazz, I've found the Digitech Trio+ really effective, but don't think I'd ever use it on stage.

By the time I've finished the book, it will have been 60 videos in total, including the "talking head" ones. I guess that's around 8 hours, and each video probably takes between one and two hours when playing, editing and general messing around are all considered. Let's say 1.5 hours per vid, so 90 hours in total. Thinking about it, that's not really so much time over a year...people who are serious about YouTube probably spend a lot more on theirs.

I could possibly have spent ages getting a really nice sound (mic'd amp, separate recording mixed with the original rhythm file, subtle effects added and every exercise done with take after take - or even edited the take together out of parts until the end result was flawless), used proper lights, had some sort of backdrop, bought a really expensive camera, then done a bunch of really careful editing, but that would have meant each video would have taken me five times as long and given a completely unrealistic representation of what I'm doing. A few times, I found problems (background noise, bad levels...things like that) that made a take unusable, so, to save time, played exercises again directly into the computer and then combined it with the video footage, but have made sure never to represent myself as being able to play something I couldn't.

I think crappy, simple camera work, and basic camera mic sound are more honest somehow, and it's also good to see my failure to play certain things as I go along. At the end of the day, I'm not doing this to create the lie that I'm a really good guitar player who plays everything perfectly (which clever editing might make it possible for me to do). I guess I wanted to document how a mediocre, middle-aged guitarist could derive realistic benefit from consistent practice, with the camera as objective watchdog.

Eddie 70 and huw like this.
  20. Barnaby

Barnaby Senior Member

Week 46. I plod onwards...

Eddie 70, BKS and warprider like this.