Troy Grady's Breaking the code

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by 5F6-A, Apr 8, 2017.

1. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

This guy's videos on YouTube look amazing. Entertaining, high quality, visually appealing, packed with information, funny and, on top of that, the list of videos just goes on and on and on.
    The problem is that every time I try to absorb the information about picking, I get no further and I end up having a headache. All this slanting, upstroke, downstroke lingo is just almost incomprehensible to me. I have tried a few times and I get no pleasure from it.

Mind you, I've always been a self-taught, intuitive kind of player. I know that persevering might bring good results but I'm really struggling. All teh fancy graphics should help but instead I get distracted and I make no progress....

Any videos that you'd recommend for a completely stuck fellow?
    :hmm::hmm::hmm:

2. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Go back to the beginning my friend. Do this first.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdoz16LRz9Q&t=5s[/ame]

Pebber taught Buckethead among other "shredders". Listen to his words.

3. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Thanks for that!!!!

4. paradice

paradice Senior Member

got about 10 mins in to the Pebber vid....he just kinda assumes if you keep doing something (picking one note for 20 mins...) you'll get better at it, so he's hoping the way you pick will naturally adapt to become more efficient, playing a single note for 20 mins with bad technique is just going to make you better at playing bad....

maybe he explains it better as the videos go on??

troys videos explain why the differnet techniques work for different styles/sytring changes etc

2 different approaches....I'm leaning towards the Troy Grady approach,...if you're not as fast/clean as you'd like to be then you probably need to find out what's causing the problem then try and sort it....

also...exercises are useful, not sure if the Grady videos have many actual exercises?