Tronical Suing Gibson for $50m

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Howard2k, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...ic_tuners_is_suing_gibson_for_50_million.html

No firm details as of yet.

I think we could guess that Gibson initially committed to purchasing a certain volume and then with the negative feedback on these rolled back their purchasing plans and failed to meet their commitment to Tronical.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

rjohnpurdy and RedSkwirrell like this.
  2. Gibsonrocknroll

Gibsonrocknroll Senior Member

Tronical Sues Gibson for $50 Million
    The lawsuit had been pending before Hamburg State Court since December 2017.
    Author:
    Jackson Maxwell
    Publish date:
    in 3 hours
    Social count:
      SHARES
    • has announced that it is suing Gibson for $50 million.

In a press release, Tronical identified itself as "The world's leading company for the development and production of patented Auto Tuning Systems for guitars, which Gibson Brands (Gibson) markets under the name 'G-Force.'" The company also stated that the lawsuit had been pending before Hamburg State Court since December 2017.

Music Radar, Tronical founder Chris Adams said "Tronical is claiming licensing fees to the amount of 23 million US dollars from the share in the profits agreed in the contract, and a further 27 million US dollars on the grounds of Gibson’s breach of contract of the exclusive research and development agreement with Tronical, which Gibson should have met by 2026."

Tronical's robo-tuning technology has been marketed by Gibson as Gibson G Force, and was introduced as a standard feature on the company's 2015 range of guitars. Following mixed reactions from players though, the company limited the technology to the company's High Performance models in 2016 and 2017, before almost completely withdrawing it from the company's 2018 line.

paruwi likes this.
  3. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

Joke's on them. Gibson doesn't have $50 million :laugh2:

Mockbel, dc007, Geronimo and 29 others like this.
  4. fry

fry Senior Member

I have read stuff from people who actually claim to like that thing. I even have a good friend who really loves it, uses it all the time. There were a few exceptions, but the thing was an overwhelming failure, the vast majority of people absolutely hated it, and I think it was actually a flawed item. Gibson blew it, but I hope they learned their lesson. I don’t think they should be obligated to continue to buy this flawed technology.

5. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Hey, a deal's a deal. If Gibson failed to meet up to its legal obligation, then fuck 'em. Why should Tronical lose all that money?

Mockbel, Leumas, Aussiemodo and 5 others like this.
  6. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

Probably a "Hail Mary" pass by Tronical to keep from going under.

They might have been alright if the Gibson debacle hadn't gone down.

Good luck to them if Gibson goes bankrupt.

7. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

Contracts don't really work that way though. People not liking it and people not knowing how to use it properly aren't the same thing.

All rampant speculation though. Maybe Gibson is being sued for money they owe Tronical for the tuners that Tronical already provided.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  8. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

This will be absolutely hilarious if the tech that Henry tried pushing on people that no one likes and then had to be replaced with regular tuners on Gibsons dime costs them even more money.

JDZ, radiomatts, JJ Blair and 7 others like this.
  9. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

:laugh2: Maybe they could offer it as a $1,000 add on.

10. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Gibson is responsible for every piece they ordered.

11. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

I'm guessing we're not seeing the entire agreement. Could Gibson and their lawyers have overlooked the question of demand and failed to add some qualifying benchmarks to their agreement?

morats8up likes this.
  12. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

Gibson should absolutely be held to their contractual obligations. The PowerTune (now Tronical) gear works as stated; Gibson is the one who made the mistake in glomming onto it ten years ago and taking it exclusive when it appeared at NAMM.

Gibson went down this road before, in the early '90's with a unit that tuned the guitar via motors in the bridge (see the "Transperformance Bridge"). All of the same flaws in the concept were present then, but they were sure they were onto something and even had Jimmy Page shilling it. They should have learned their lesson then. They assumed, however, that it was the cost of the technology that was the issue, not the functionality or lack of interest from their customers.

When you remove a product from the market place by committing to an exclusive relationship and/or a minimum order, you do so because you expect an advantage, either in sales or in wholesale price. If you're Gibson, you're making the gamble because of that advantage. If your customer doesn't agree, you lose. But you still pay.

13. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

The flaw was in the concept, not so much in the execution. Remember that there are at least three generations (at least two "Robot" versions plus the current G-Farce/MinETune setup), and Gibson approved (and was ecstatic to have) all three.

Scooter2112 likes this.
  14. Mosster47

Mosster47 Senior Member

Gibson is 100% going bankrupt. If there were any chance that Henry was still placed in charge after they restructure this lawsuit killed any last hope.

15. Prometheus

Prometheus Senior Member

16. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

Elon Musk would do well to listen and learn...

17. fry

fry Senior Member

Maybe “flawed” doesn’t actually capture what I was going for. In my limited experience with this technology, I found it to be frequently unreliable, and to act wonky quite a bit, like it was confused. I’ve heard horror stories about the thing getting a mind of its own, even in mid-performance for some people. Some of this can be attributed to user error, but I just plain think the design is defective. If I agree to buy your product, and it ends up being defective, the deal is off. I guess we’ll go to court. And if I’m already millions in debt, good luck collecting. ;)

18. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

Probably. Depends what the wording of the contract was.

19. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

20. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

If Henry owns any guns, his foot is surely full of holes.

I will say, someone on a motorcycle forum posted about the robot Les Paul and that post was part of the chain of events that rekindled my interest in playing guitar after several years layoff from serious playing. That has also resulted in me buying several Gibson guitars in the last decade. So, even though I have never owned a robot tuned Gibson, I have inadvertently bought several Gibsons as a result of robot tuners. How do you quantify that? :hmm: :dunno:

JodanOrNoDan likes this.