tribute PCB and caps.

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by clintonior, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

That will happen eventually

2. clintonior

clintonior Junior Member

Couldn't you just trim off the two tone lugs and jumper them into a 50's style from the modern style? just a thought..

3. Juan Wayne

Juan Wayne Senior Member

I did go that route on mine and it was quick and painless. Actually, I didn't even trim them, more like heat and lift the lugs, then use a small wire as a jumper.

But, maybe he's going for something different than what we have in mind, judging by the "independent volume control AND 50s tone control".

I might be missing something though.

4. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

Yes. Independant vol. is my preferred.

5. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

If you don't screw with these boards and just pull them out clean, people will buy them on eBay. I'm not saying they should buy them, just that they will, for whatever reason. ...then you can have some money to put in nice parts. Just a thought.

clintonior likes this.
  6. Juan Wayne

Juan Wayne Senior Member

But by independent volumes, do you mean other than what an LP comes as stock?

If you mean the type of wiring that allows you to set one volume to zero in the middle position and not mute the other one, sort of like a Jazz Bass, it can be done but then it's not 50's wiring, that's what puzzles me.

7. jbrew1977

jbrew1977 Senior Member

Why is it that nobody really gets behind modifying these boards? Just pull it out and start fresh is the typical response. I love hearing people talk about modifying what they have to make it work how they want it to! The disposable mindset of our society doesn't favor ingenuity much, so I applaud those of you who are showing off what you're doing to these boards! Well done!

clintonior likes this.
  8. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Because the biggest complaint about stock Gibson controls is that the pot values are not what is desired and/or pot tapers suck. Second biggest complaint is that they are wired up "modern style."

So, sure you can replace the pots, mod the PCB, and replace the caps. It's still MUCH less field serviceable than a PTP wired setup and now you've lost the resale value of keeping the original BCP in a box in case you sell the guitar and/or lost the money you could recoup by selling the PCB online to fund the wiring components of your choice. Not to mention it's more work and probably won't look as clean to do a bunch of mods, cutting traces, adding jumpers and re-drilling holes, depending on the wiring scheme intended, hoping pads stay intact, etc.

Also, many, if not most, Gibson Les Paul customers appreciate the vintage-vibe of the instrument and, though an identical PCB and PTP wiring scheme, using identical components, won't necessarily sound any different, if one is taking it out to work on it anyway, they may very well prefer to start clean with a vintage-style look along with their more vintage-accurate components, wiring scheme, etc. for their Les Paul.

There are a number of reasons one may prefer replacement over modding that can't be undone, really.

9. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

for anyone wanting to modify the boards that come in new gibsons, i recommend just pulling the whole works out, and like James said, sell it on ebay.

Get yourself 4 pots, two caps, and some wire and build you a harness to the exact specs you want.

cooljuk likes this.
  10. clintonior

clintonior Junior Member

I can't disagree, however this does sound great currently. These Vit Q caps really improved the tone to my ears. I also like the way the tone and volume pots in this circuit respond. I'm not a fan of the input jack and switch in the Tribute T, their time is limited. The switch doesn't positively engage in the middle very soft spring steel no idea if it will even last long. It does feel flimsy switching between pick ups. Some may prefer the light feel of it, but I prefer the positive feel of a true switchcraft switch.